New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzie Bear View Post
    This is not quite a frightening scenario as it at first appears.
    Modern PC based flight simulators are incredibly sophisticated, and it is not only pilots who use them to hone their skills.

For the doubters amongst you out there take the examply of Lewis Hamilton. He is the British newcomer to Formula One Grand Prix racing and has come from nowhere to get a seat driving for the McClaren team this year.

In an interview at the start of the season he was asked how he could hope to compete with the vastly more experienced fellow professionals who had far superior knowledge of the circuits they were racing each other around. His answer was remarkable.....'I use my Playstation and 'drive' around the circuits for a few days before we leave home for practice and then the race itself' was his answer.

It must be working....in his first seven races in this years F1 championship he has finished on the podium 5 times AND WON THE LAST 2 RACES. He now leads the world championship (ahead of his team-mate and defending world champion Alonso) in his very first year. Even Schumacker took a few years to get up to speed!

Don't despare. PAF pilots will do just fine. Take it from an ex RAF pilot!
    OT:

Wow! You're an ex RAF pilot Fozzie? Nice! If I may ask, what RAF aircraft did you had the pleasure of flying? As a boy, I used to fancy myself flying either a Hawker-Siddely Buccaneer or a RAF Sepecat Jaguar one day when I grow. However, as with almost all boyhood dreams it still remains a dream today.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hokei to ah :2thumbsup:

so judging from the computer games i am currently playing (Forza 2 and C&C), i am well qualified to be either a race car driver or a military commander!! :clap:

Quote Originally Posted by nicolodeon View Post
    OT:
    As a boy, I used to fancy myself flying either a Hawker-Siddely Buccaneer or a RAF Sepecat Jaguar one day when I grow. However, as with almost all boyhood dreams it still remains a dream today.
    diba when you were a boy WW2 Spitfires pa yung gamit ng RAF?

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post
    :rofl: - BUSEEET!

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post
    hokei to ah :2thumbsup:

so judging from the computer games i am currently playing (Forza 2 and C&C), i am well qualified to be either a race car driver or a military commander!! :clap:

Hehe tagal na nun ah, kasabayan pa ng messerschmicht(tama ba spelling) tsaka zero fighter

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    With the limited budget, the Phil Air Force should look into aircrafts that would benefit the country more. At the moment, light observation/recon planes (turbo-prop??) and newer multi-role helicopters would be a greater benefit. Also improving the country's heavy lift capacity would be a good idea.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by VtEC View Post
    The $1 question is, do we really need to buy fighter jets??
    Ahhh... good point there... that is what I am also thinking. Given our current financial standing, purchasing hi-tech fighter jets should not even be the priority of the PAF. I am not saying that I don't like to see an F/A-18 Hornet patrolling our skies with A-10s & A-64s supporting our ground troops... but let's be realistic.

Let's start with a simulated war scenario with China... let's assume that we have a few Hornets sitting at Villamor, Sangley or Basa Airbase. China wouldn't start a war using fighter jets, they'll bomb us first with their ballistic missiles - targeting the above mentioned airbases & radar stations. Since we don't have a missile defense, it'll render our fighter aircrafts as sitting targets.

As long as we keep our mutual defense pacts intact, we can survive an attack by a hostile nation and also act as a deterrent against any aggressor. And as you can recall, wars are won on the ground not from the sky.

Though one medium-term need for a fighter jet is to counter a 9/11 type of terrorist threat. Can you imagine a 747 crashing to the Makati CBD?

7. FrankDrebin Guest
    Looks like we need a continuation of this thread. :D

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showt...775#post588775

8. FrankDrebin Guest
    IMO, PAF needs more support and cargo vehicles than attack jets.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    Though one medium-term need for a fighter jet is to counter a 9/11 type of terrorist threat. Can you imagine a 747 crashing to the Makati CBD?
    tama....the PAF should purchase at least one state-of-the-art jet fighter.

they could name it 'Air Force One' :2thumbsup:

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VtEC View Post
    The $1 question is, do we really need to buy fighter jets??
    Baka mauna pa si Chavit, who already have a submarine.

:eat: [SIZE="1"]3065[/SIZE]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
PAF Pilots Take Flight Lessons by Computer (instead of Flight Simulators)