New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    sir jun, sa US diba a lot of American schools are switching on the Mac Platform? my relatives there always brag about my pamangkins on how creative and productive their sons/daughters are. as early as 7 yrs. old, ang gagaling nasa multimedia creativity primarily bec. both sa school and at home - puro Macs ang training computers nila.
    I wouldn't say a lot if compared to the overall number of schools using Windows-based pc's. But, compared to those using Macs in the past, then yes, there certainly was a big increase. My daughter's school district just happens to be one of the Mac-using ones. High school kids here are issued MacBooks. Going to Javalina's (our local version of Starbucks), Macbooks are all over the place.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I definitely still prefer pc gaming over any other. But, pickings are getting slimmer compared to the heydays of early 2000-2001. If any of these new consoles come out with a mouse and keyboard, I'd probably defect in a heartbeat. That's the only thing that's really stopping me right now.
    yeah but i like my gaming/work/entertainment in one machine, a fast one. thats why i'm still a hardcore PC gamer for more than 10yrs since my HS days.

upgrading and spending for faster cpus, vidcards is not a factor for me, in fact i feel a great deal of satisfaction when i'm upgrading a major component of my PC.

only other consoles im looking at are the PS3 or the Wii, the xbox360 is too similar to the PC (games wise) for me to consider it.

anyway OT na :hihihi:

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
    yeah but i like my gaming/work/entertainment in one machine, a fast one. thats why i'm still a hardcore PC gamer for more than 10yrs since my HS days.

upgrading and spending for faster cpus, vidcards is not a factor for me, in fact i feel a great deal of satisfaction when i'm upgrading a major component of my PC.

only other consoles im looking at are the PS3 or the Wii, the xbox360 is too similar to the PC (games wise) for me to consider it.

If I was still single, upgrading wouldn't be a factor either. In fact, I remember when a store clerk's jaw dropped when I paid $600 cash for 2 STB BlackMagic 3Dfx Voodoo 2's back in March 1998. Those days are long gone. But, I'll still game on the pc so long as there are good games for it.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    During my early days as a working guy, I was amazed at how easy it was to find my way around a Mac OS, compared to Windows. Our group was probably the only one in the whole department to have Mac workstations, from word processing to video post-production. Dalawang beses na nga akong nakamana ng iMac sa office.

Now, the iMac I'm using tends to hang on me (kernel panic) at certain hours of the day. Hindi pa rin maayos kahit nagtanggal na kami ng RAM chip; gusto lang yatang bumalik sa dati niyang amo eh. Luma na rin naman kasi, so now I just use the PC laptop sa office; naka-standby na lang yung iMac.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    ^^*Bogeyman: Could be a case of bad capacitors.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post

As much as I'm an avid PC gamer, I have to admit that it's expensive and a console works better as a dedicated games machine.

But only the PC has Freespace 2.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    - Macs aren't expensive. Compare them to Dells with similar specs, and you might be surprised by which one comes out cheaper.

- It's spelt Mac. PC guys get annoyed at this too, because they understand that a Machine Access Control is different from an Apple Macintosh.

- Macs are not better at graphics. People assume this, but the fact is that professionals use both platforms, and more often than not, they use custom made software that runs on Linux. iLife, however, does make it easy to polish amateur crap so as to give the impression that it is better for video stuff.

- Gaming on a Mac is a non-issue. Dual boot Windows on an Intel Mac. Problem solved.

- Microsoft is not successful because of good software. It's a bit of a combination of luck and Bill Gates' amazing business strategies. The main (I wouldn't say only) reason people use Windows is because everyone else does. Holding market share is powerful; just look at the iPod.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ///MPower View Post
    - Macs aren't expensive. Compare them to Dells with similar specs, and you might be surprised by which one comes out cheaper.
    Yes, but Macs aren't cheap either. I've never seen a Php15k cheapass desktop or a 40k laptop from Apple. (all right, 25k and 50k for the legit stuff ) The PC market isn't just the Dell mid-end stuff.

- It's spelt Mac. PC guys get annoyed at this too, because they understand that a Machine Access Control is different from an Apple Macintosh.
    Uhhh, I don't get it. And isn't that Media Access Control?

- Macs are not better at graphics. People assume this, but the fact is that professionals use both platforms, and more often than not, they use custom made software that runs on Linux. iLife, however, does make it easy to polish amateur crap so as to give the impression that it is better for video stuff.
    True. Pros use stuff that any average Windows/Mac/Linux nerd wouldn't believe.

- Gaming on a Mac is a non-issue. Dual boot Windows on an Intel Mac. Problem solved.
    It is. Windows costs $$$$. A Mac system costs $$$$. (Piracy stuff aside, obviously!) If you can live with just one, why do you have to have the other!

Not as much of an issue now that the Mac is a PC too though. I wonder what happened to all the Mac zealots who claimed the PC hardware sucks though...

- Microsoft is not successful because of good software. It's a bit of a combination of luck and Bill Gates' amazing business strategies. The main (I wouldn't say only) reason people use Windows is because everyone else does. Holding market share is powerful; just look at the iPod.
    Windows. From Windows 2000. Decent. But not amazing.
    iPod. All versions. Decent. But not amazing.

Romanian President Thanks Bill Gates for Easily Pirated Software...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    doesn't suprise me that the die-hard windows users here have one thing in common - gaming. meron sariling nerd/geek level kasi ang gamers kaya almost zealot-like ang kapit sa windows. heheheh.

but then again, if i didn't give up on gaming a few months ago i probably would've have purchased a pc notebook and vmwared windows through linux.

pero kahit na mac gamit ko now pwede pa din naman virtualization ng windows and linux/bsd.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    If I will be setting up a server then linux is the way to go. Linux for desktop use? Well it haven't got there yet.

However all of my thick client software projects runs on windows so its windows platform for me on that aspect. Soon I will also be developing e-commerce projects and I want to cut down cost on it then Linux is the way to go for that primary reason.

I'm not into multimedia so MAC/OS X is out for me. However, if I'm seriously considering "porma" points and I have money to burn then throw me a MacBook anytime.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    I'm not into multimedia so MAC/OS X is out for me.
    mac is not really for multimedia only. i'm a pure coder din. pero depende pa din what type of programming you do, kung nasa .net ka, no choice but to go with windows. pero kung multiplatform yung language/s na ginagamit mo mas maganda kasi mas madami options.

Linux for desktop use? Well it haven't got there yet.
    people who say that dont really give linux a chance. especially these days na malaki na improvement ng linux sa desktop. i admit medyo malabo pa ng konti given the lack of standards, or should i say people following their own standards, pero once you look at it from a different frame of mind pwede na sya, at least for the IT community.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
MAC vs PC vs Linux