New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Been watching this for a couple of months now..
    http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

May latest pa for Vista, very funny ads.

And came.. Novell - for Linux ads..
    http://www.novell.com/linux/meetlinux/

HAHA

Louie
    Debian admin and user

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    ako i prefer mac good in graphics...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    depende depende yan sa purpose eh. each operating system has each pros and cons.

imho....

Microsoft
    Pros
    - very popular because of its EOU.
    - supports old, existing and new devices.

Cons
    - security
    - buggy
    - high resource requirement

Linux
    Pros
    - free
    - strength is its security

Cons
    - EOU
    - support for new devices lagging compared to MS

MacOS
    Pros
    - nothing can beat this OS in terms of graphics

Cons
    - support for devices, mostly for Apple products
    - support for new applications/limited apps available

imho lang ulit ha? wala akong gustong sagasaan. based on my personal experiences only.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Mac and Linux equal sa top position for me.
    Gamit ko sila now: Ubuntu for my desktop, and Mac sa laptop.

Windows is a very far 2nd. Got tired of it.
    Will only go back if my job requires windows development.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    imho, MS manages to sell millions of copies of windows because of its user interface; say what you want about windows randomly crashing, the crappy security, etc. -- but it's UI is the one most people are most comfortable and familiar with.

the X/windows UI on most linux distros, while vastly improved from the dark, early ages of linux, still doesn't quite match windows'.

what's more, a lot of people got hooked on MS office early on. 1-2 combo ng MS yan

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Macs
    Pros:
    - tops in hardware build quality
    - very polished and well-integrated apps
    - Sweet P n P
    - low profile means less malware
    Cons:
    - they can get pricey although they're much more competitive now
    - bunch of snotty-nosed zealots often turned me off to Macs
    - software/hardware very Apple-bound, gives the feeling Apple's got me by the balls

Windows
    Pros:
    - ubiquitious, the standard....nuff said
    - most of my pc gaming fix is on Windows
    - adequate but sometimes not the most well-thought out OS
    Cons:
    - earlier versions buggy
    - sometimes gives me the feeling MS has me by the balls
    - P n P ok with occasional hit n miss
    - a hacker and virus writer's paradise

Linux
    Pros:
    - free and that's about it
    - Live CD's nice
    - free server capability
    - low profile means less malware
    Cons
    - ready for the desktop, my butt.
    - lack of quality commercial apps, lack of quality apps period. What's considered polished to Linux users is a far cry from commercial Windows software and even farther from Mac apps
    - Linux zealots almost as snotty as Mac zealots.
    - drivers and updates problematic compared to Windows and Mac; dependency BS a big turnoff
    - P n P hit n miss even more than Windows.....grrrr!
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; April 4th, 2007 at 01:47 PM.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    imho, MS manages to sell millions of copies of windows because of its user interface; say what you want about windows randomly crashing, the crappy security, etc. -- but it's UI is the one most people are most comfortable and familiar with.
    malaki din factor ng marketing strategy ng microsoft kung bakit number 1 sila. most people are only comfortable with windows because most desktops/notebooks comes with windows by default. dun na sila nasanay agad and ayaw na mag-try ng iba - ganun naman nature ng tao eh.

sabi nga ni Dilbert, "change is good, you go first."

- most of my pc gaming fix is on Windows
    thats also one of the reasons why they're still number 1.

- Linux zealots almost as snotty as Mac zealots.
    madami din snotty zealots and microsoft, mas vocal nga lang ang mac and *nix people. besides, if you're using the OS, they won't be too snotty to you. i dont get it why zealots turn you off from using a product. there will always be zealots in the IT industry anyway.

--
    i admit, though, that most linux distros still have shortcomings to be a decent desktop solution for the regular user.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by roninblade View Post
    malaki din factor ng marketing strategy ng microsoft kung bakit number 1 sila. most people are only comfortable with windows because most desktops/notebooks comes with windows by default. dun na sila nasanay agad and ayaw na mag-try ng iba - ganun naman nature ng tao eh.

sabi nga ni Dilbert, "change is good, you go first."
    MS has been doing that even when pc's have only MS-DOS while Macs and Amigas already have windowing enviroments. The benefits of a windowing enviroment over a command prompt-based one was already clear even then. Yet, these pc's with a "cumbersome" interface outsold Macs and Amigas combined. There had to be something else besides MS' tactics that made pc's sell well.

madami din snotty zealots and microsoft, mas vocal nga lang ang mac and *nix people. besides, if you're using the OS, they won't be too snotty to you. i dont get it why zealots turn you off from using a product. there will always be zealots in the IT industry anyway.
    That may be the case in forums and BBSes back then. But out in the real world, I've never seen Windows users evangelize their platform to non-pc users. Mac zealots on the other hand almost always try to get a word in ad nauseum. Amiga zealots were far more obnoxious than Mac zealots. Unfortunately, the Amiga was my platform of choice back then. It pained me to have to share my platform with those clowns. I tried to stick to my principle of not letting zealots get in the way of my platform preference. But, those Amiga zealots were something else. They really drove me to almost abandon the platform.

i admit, though, that most linux distros still have shortcomings to be a decent desktop solution for the regular user.
    I found Mandriva and Ubuntu usable enough. I've been a regular Linux user since Mandrake 6.0 and Suse 7.1. But, I doubt casual users will have as smooth a time as I did. What really pains me above all else about Linux is the lack of good commercial apps.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Macs
    Cons:
    LOL!
    Same here.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    as far as im concerned, whichever has the most support for new and old games is the winner...PC all the way

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
MAC vs PC vs Linux