New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    The topic title is wrong. Platform vs. Platform vs. OS?! Should be OSX vs. Windows vs. Linux.

Macs are PCs now too, though.

My OS of choice? Windows. No matter what the Linux preachers say, Windows is still the most versatile OS, when I'm trying to work on a normal PC (as opposed to a cellphone or a router). Macs are just too expensive.

Ironically, I find that I'd be more suited to Linux for everyday use if I used my computer like my grandma.

Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    That may be the case in forums and BBSes back then. But out in the real world, I've never seen Windows users evangelize their platform to non-pc users. Mac zealots on the other hand almost always try to get a word in ad nauseum. Amiga zealots were far more obnoxious than Mac zealots. Unfortunately, the Amiga was my platform of choice back then. It pained me to have to share my platform with those clowns. I tried to stick to my principle of not letting zealots get in the way of my platform preference. But, those Amiga zealots were something else. They really drove me to almost abandon the platform.
    Mac zealots are just bloody annoying. It's as if they're trying to convert you to their religion...

Windows user: *pops out his Taiwanese laptop with Windows XP on it*
    Mac zealot: Hey, have you tried Mac OSX yet?
    Windows user: No.
    Zealot: You should, it has blah blah blah...
    Windows user: No, I don't have the...
    Zealot: ...blah blah blah Windows blah viruses blah Mac blah Steve Jobs is God blah blah...
    Windows user: *walks away*
    Zealot: ...blah blah...

The Linux zealots are just as annoying and a lot more incomprehensible. I especially hate the way they preach about how good their distro is (damn distro wars) or how "intuitive" the CLUI is (not for people who aren't used to it!). They're just as elitist as the Mac zealots, but in a really weird and geeky manner:

Windows user: I'm having problems with Internet Explorer, can anyo...
    Linux zealot#1: Switch to Linux, it's a lot more secure. Here, have a copy of GeekWare 3.6...
    ...two hours later...
    Windows user-turned Linux newbie: Hey, I'm having trouble getting my sound card to work in GeekW...
    Zealot#1: WTFLOL STFU RTFM n00b!!!1111one!
    Linux newbie: ...
    Zealot#2: You should really be using NerdAss 4.1, it's a lot more compatible with existing hardware and has a nice GUI wit...
    Zealot#1: What do you know! Have you ever used GeekWare?!
    Zealot#2: Yes, and it sucks, ***********!
    *Zealot#1 and Zealot#2 goes on having a fight*

Windows zealots on the other hand, can be hardly described as "zealots". They're often haters of MacOS or Linux (the latter more rarely, because the Windows zealots tend to be PC zealots too). They're bitterly hateful of Mac (or Linux, or any other OS), for whatever reason:

Mac user: *types*
    Windows zealot/Mac hater: *punches Mac user in the face*
    Mac user: Wha...?
    Zealot/Hater: That's for contributing to Stevie Jobs' world domination fund.
    Mac user: What about Bill Gates then?
    Zealot/Hater: *punches Mac user in the balls*

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    Mac user: *types*
    Windows zealot/Mac hater: *punches Mac user in the face*
    Mac user: Wha...?
    Zealot/Hater: That's for contributing to Stevie Jobs' world domination fund.
    Mac user: What about Bill Gates then?
    Zealot/Hater: *punches Mac user in the balls*
    Seems like a Larry, Moe, and Curly routine.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    I got 2 old Imac G5's * home. one for me and for the wifey.

it does everything what a regular highend pentium can do, except games. DL DVD-RW, WiFi G, Photoshop, MS Office, Internet Surfing, Yahoo IM, *******s, DiVX/MP4, MP3 entertainment.

hanggang ngaun nga wala pa ako ka-idea idea sa mga core duo core2 duo na yan eh hehehe. and even those new threats like virus, malwares and trojans na published almost every month sa net.

and I'm a Com Sci Grad. been living in a different tech world since we switched to Mac OS X. last time I spent money on computer hardware, mid last year pa. yun na nga when I bought the 2nd hand Imac G5 for the wife.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    * alpha_one

yes. a friend of mine always brags about how good his mac and linux powered pc over windows. sinasakyan ko na lang. hehehe

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    My sister is a die hard Mac zealot. (zealotress?)
    I sent her a DVD home video complete with all the whizbang doodads chockfull-o-eyecandy menu. She was impressed and immediately asked if I bought a Mac. I told her that I made that on my PC running XP. She didn't believe me and I even had to show her how I made it. After showing her the proof, may huling banat pa siya... at least wala kaming danger of viruses. What the hell!???

I also have openSUSE with compiz installed on my PC.
    I booted up openSUSE... my sister immediately blurts out --> waw! Parang Mac.

I just kept my mouth shut. Then...she says... ba't tahimik ka na? Are you admitting that both Windows and Linux are inferior?

Naknangtinapay!

6. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    no virus nga but i'd be bored to death with the kind of games in the MAC, pang matanda yan IMO :bwahaha:

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
    no virus nga but i'd be bored to death with the kind of games in the MAC, pang matanda yan IMO :bwahaha:
    That line of thinking is probably the flipside of the coin. The Mac has some and I mean some good games like those in the pc and even some original Mac-only games. They may be a little late compared to the pc, but not terribly so. Mac gaming is far from being desolate.

The people who buy Macs aren't hardcore gamers to begin with. If they are, they tend to game on consoles and simply work/surf on the Mac like my daughter for instance.

Add: I know of many Mac users who work with a Mac and game on an XBox 360. I'm sure the irony is not lost on some of the more hardcore zealots.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; April 10th, 2007 at 12:18 PM.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    That line of thinking is probably the flipside of the coin. The Mac has some and I mean some good games like those in the pc and even some original Mac-only games. They may be a little late compared to the pc, but not terribly so. Mac gaming is far from being desolate.

The people who buy Macs aren't hardcore gamers to begin with. If they are, they tend to game on consoles and simply work/surf on the Mac like my daughter for instance.

Add: I know of many Mac users who work with a Mac and game on an XBox 360. I'm sure the irony is not lost on some of the more hardcore zealots.
    yeah you're right but i wouldn't wanna play late games released on MAC, with so many great games released on the PC every week its pointless to compare them in regards to games support.

besides its pointless to get the xbox360 if you're a hardcore PC gamer, the PC is waaaaay more versatile both hardware and software wise IMO.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    me too I'd rather buy an Xbox 360 if i'm going to continue computer gaming. the numerous terms I have to take into consideration just to get a game running on a PC is simply a turn-off and time-consuming.

imagine the good 'ol days, that I need to know if the game has AGP, AGP4x, or AGP8x support, SDR, DDR, DDR2, now PCI-E, SLi. haay kakasakit ng ulo.

I just read the Vista thread. can't imagine myself going thru that process again. trial and error hardware to see what component supports Vista. it's like Win98SE to WinXP all over ...

Computers were invented specifically as tools to make our lives easier. to make us more productive and creative. not to become as slaves and guinea pigs to temporary technological breakthrus and terms, i mean from 16kbps to 100mbps, naging 200mbps, 1 gpbs speed shucks! if I'm 40 right now, and I will be recalling what I learned. yan na lang ba ang natutunan ko hehehe memorizing those terms

sir jun, sa US diba a lot of American schools are switching on the Mac Platform? my relatives there always brag about my pamangkins on how creative and productive their sons/daughters are. as early as 7 yrs. old, ang gagaling nasa multimedia creativity primarily bec. both sa school and at home - puro Macs ang training computers nila.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
    yeah you're right but i wouldn't wanna play late games released on MAC, with so many great games released on the PC every week its pointless to compare them in regards to games support.

besides its pointless to get the xbox360 if you're a hardcore PC gamer, the PC is waaaaay more versatile both hardware and software wise IMO.
    I definitely still prefer pc gaming over any other. But, pickings are getting slimmer compared to the heydays of early 2000-2001. If any of these new consoles come out with a mouse and keyboard, I'd probably defect in a heartbeat. That's the only thing that's really stopping me right now.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; April 10th, 2007 at 12:45 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
MAC vs PC vs Linux