New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    Here's my rather sad experience with my less than a month old K42jr. It crashed two weeks ago and would not re-start. Sent it to the retailer and was told the mobo was busted and needed parts. Asked about the possibility of changing to a new laptop, the retailer said they'll see if it can be repaired first. Recieved the repaired unit yesterday but now the unit shows artifacting green spots. They only disappear when placed in battery mode or when the video card is only working at half the capacity. Will return the unit to the retailer on monday. If the retailer does change the laptop to a new one, there's another problem with the Windows 7 which I bought from the same retailer...
    That's why it is better to opt for the retail version even if its more expensive.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    i dont get it. whats the difference between an oem and a retailer?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by african888 View Post
    i dont get it. whats the difference between an oem and a retailer?

Price and packaging. Otherwise it is the same product.

OEM versions are meant to be bundled with assembled computers like HP, Dell, Acer, and also house/shop assembled computers. The cost is supposedly cheaper since it is bought in "bulk" and have less packaging (no retail box, less manuals/documents included). Not meant to be sold "as-is" to end-users like you and me.

RETAIL version is meant to be sold at the stores to the end users. These come complete with box, documentation/instructions and whatever promotional "bruhaha" the software companies would like to include in the box. Slightly more expensive at cost too.

BUNDLED OS version are slightly modified OEM version to include stuff like the brand logo (like dell, acer, msi) within the OS itself (like default wallpaper, screensaver, boot-up logo). It would also include bundled softwares and trialware that might or might not be useful to the purchaser. Also included are manufacturer's software drivers for the computer's hardware.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Monseratto, did you get your K42 from an authorized ASUS dealer? If yes, you should compel them to replace it with a new unit. Like any production process, there's a margin for defects.

As for transferring the license, there are hacks to do that. Bad that we need to hack something we already paid for.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    *Horsepower

I think they'll have to change the whole mobo (again?)if the video card if busted since it's likely the video card is integrated to the board. That being the case, I'll "suggest" to them to change to a new lappie.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    less than 30k lang budget ko. FROM VILLMAN'S WEBSITE http://www.villman.com/:

asus k42f(Intel Pentium Dual Core P6000 Processor
    (1.86GHz, 3MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB, 2gb ddr3) ----- 25.5k W/O OS

Lenovo G460 (5904-7124) Pentium Dual Core P6000 1.86 Ghz, 3MB Cache, DDR3 1066Mhz, 2GB DDR3 -----26k W/O OS

eMachines by Acer eMD730-332G25Mnks Intel Core i3-330M (3MB L3 Cache, 2.13 Ghz, 2gbDDR3 1066Mhz, 35w) -------29.8k WITH OS win7 basic

MSI CR420x - i32+ Intel Core i3 Notebook Intel® Core™ i3-330M 2.13GHZ processor 2BG ddr3)------29.8k w/o OS

Acer Aspire 4738z-P612G50Mnkk w/ Intel Pentium P6100 Processor Dual Core, 3 MB L3 cache, 2.0 GHz, DDR3 1066 MHz, 35 W), supporting Intel® 64 architecture, Intel® Smart Cache 2gbddr3 ---------28k with OS linux

nagkakalayo ba yung processing speed nila? paki rank naman sila based on practical side(SPECS TO PRICE).
    and anong brand pinaka reliable, pinaka ok ang after sales support... THANKS!!

welcome mga sugggestions niyo, mas ok yun...

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    What's your intended use for the laptop? Internet? Games? Word? Photoshop?

Anyway, in general, if you want to game but have no money for a dedicated GPU in your laptop (these cost ~35k), get an AMD platform laptop because the IGP of the AMDs are better than the IGP of the Intel platforms (even the i3). These AMD Athlon II processors are good all-rounders as well. They are about as fast as Pentium Dual-Core processors of the same speed.

There are, however, two main kinds of Pentium Dual-Core processors in the market. There are the P-series (i.e. P6100) which are based off the Arrandale platform and is the newest line. And then there's the T-series (i.e. T4200) which is based of the Merom/Penryn architecture. Though the Arrandale has lower clock speeds, a 2.0 GHz Arrandale would perform similarly to a 2.2 GHz Penryn PDC. Keep in mind that the IGP that comes with the older processors is the GMA 4500 MHD, and while it is significantly better than the X3100 it replaced, it is nowhere near the IGP of the Arrandale models and especially the HD 4200/4250 of the AMD models.

Now onto the i3. This is Intel's current mainstream offering, based on the Arrandale architecture. It is essentially a faster clocked version of the Pentium Dual-Core with more cache. It's IGP is also faster clocked than the PDC. They also tend to be a thousand or two more expensive.

As for your suggestions, try checking out asianic.com.ph first. They offer generally cheaper laptops. You don't have to be brand conscious (except avoid local brands like Neo) so what matters the most is the specs.
    Generally, at 30k, you should be looking for:

Either a Core i3 or a high-clocked AMD Athlon II processor
    at least 2 GB RAM
    at least a 250 GB Hard Drive
    a LED-backlit LCD

8. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    *sir jut703, first of all thanks sa reply... intended use are for internet(fb apps,movie and music downloading), ms office, a little bit of photoshop and games...
    sir how about the reliability of msi and emachines? oks kasi pricing ng mga laptop nila, cheaper sa asus... thanks!

9. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    wag ka na mag-msi or emachines? mura na din naman mga compaq, dell, asus, acer ngaun

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jimnyeatworld View Post
    wag ka na mag-msi or emachines? mura na din naman mga compaq, dell, asus, acer ngaun
    I would not suggest DELL computers. Overheats, etc.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
looking for laptop under 30k