New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    Where can I buy this? Or can you choose something for me from Villman?
    I usually buy my stuff in V-Mall, Greenhills.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Thanks sir mda!!! Will you help me?

D-Link DIR-600 Wireless 150 Router P1499

D-Link DIR-600 Wireless 150 Router | VillMan Computers

Why isn't it good to buy parts at Villman? I'm a loyal customer kasi, The people there are really so nice. I'll wait for the input of GH din.

Makati. But I don't wanna hassle any of you naman.
    Generally Villman's prices aren't competitive kasi. But for the DIR 600, if their price for the router is indeed P1500, then pumapareho na yung prices doon sa Gilmore stores.

Yes we can help you with the basic setup regardless of which router you choose. Madali lang yun. Kahit iba pa yung brand, pare pareho lang naman yung settings eh.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    ^Thanks! I'll get the DIR 600 then

I can still use LAN on my PC? I don't like wireless kasi for my PC.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    ^Thanks! I'll get the DIR 600 then

I can still use LAN on my PC? I don't like wireless kasi for my PC.
    Yep, the cable setup will be:

PLDT Modem -> Router -> PC, requiring 2 LAN/ethernet cables

Modem plugs into the Router's DSL/WAN port. Router to PC uses one of the LAN port (1/2/3/4).

You may need an additional LAN cable, since you may only be using one at the moment. The router does *usually* come with a LAN cable but it's usually quite short (less than 1 meter). Kung malayo yung distance between modem/router/pc you may need to buy a new cable with a length specific to your needs unless you have spares lying around.
    Last edited by mda; January 28th, 2013 at 01:45 AM.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Best place to buy PC parts for me is Gilmore. I frequent PCHub, but other stores there that offer good prices are PC Options, PC Worx, Gaisano, and occasionally, depending on the item, PC Express.

Prices for whole desktop systems are roughly 3-5k cheaper in Gilmore than in Greenhills when you add them all up. For indivudal components, like say a router, it'd be a few hundreds cheaper on average.

TP-Link was brought up a few posts back. I have a TP-Link router, the WR642G, and I've had it for over 5 years now. It's on 24/7 and it's in our living room that has no airconditioning. Yet, it runs without a hitch, doesn't overheat, and is strong enough to cover our entire house.

Setting up a router for WiFi is fairly easy, just plug in the cable from the DSL modem to the appropriate port (it's labeled anyway), then set up the router's SSID (network name) and password through the router's web interface, which can usually be accessed by typing in 192.168.1.1 on your browser. The instructions are generally straightforward from there on. Perhaps the most confusing part would be the type of encryption for your password, but for home use, it doesn't really matter if you use WEP or WPA2.

For your PC, you can still use LAN, just buy a long RJ45 cable (LAN cable) then plug it into the appropriate slot at the back of the router (the connector's the same size and shape as the modem cable, but you plug it into a different hole). Currently I have 2 desktops wired directly to my router, and then some half-dozen mobile devices are also connected via WiFi.
    Last edited by jut703; January 28th, 2013 at 02:08 AM.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Best place to buy PC parts for me is Gilmore. I frequent PCHub, but other stores there that offer good prices are PC Options, PC Worx, Gaisano, and occasionally, depending on the item, PC Express.

Prices for whole desktop systems are roughly 3-5k cheaper in Gilmore than in Greenhills when you add them all up. For indivudal components, like say a router, it'd be a few hundreds cheaper on average.

TP-Link was brought up a few posts back. I have a TP-Link router, the WR5354, and I've had it for over 5 years now. It's on 24/7 and it's in our living room that has no airconditioning. Yet, it runs without a hitch, doesn't overheat, and is strong enough to cover our entire house.

Setting up a router for WiFi is fairly easy, just plug in the cable from the DSL modem to the appropriate port (it's labeled anyway), then set up the router's SSID (network name) and password through the router's web interface, which can usually be accessed by typing in 192.168.1.1 on your browser. The instructions are generally straightforward from there on. Perhaps the most confusing part would be the type of encryption for your password, but for home use, it doesn't really matter if you use WEP or WPA2.

For your PC, you can still use LAN, just buy a long RJ45 cable (LAN cable) then plug it into the appropriate slot at the back of the router (the connector's the same size and shape as the modem cable, but you plug it into a different hole). Currently I have 2 desktops wired directly to my router, and then some half-dozen mobile devices are also connected via WiFi.
    This is the setup procedure in a nutshell.

Btw, if WiFi area coverage is an issue, I'd suggest getting a decent (read: more expensive router).

*jut, yung FoxCom okay din (katabi ni Gaisano), they carry decent parts and usually naka price match kay PCHub hehe.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    This is the setup procedure in a nutshell.

Btw, if WiFi area coverage is an issue, I'd suggest getting a decent (read: more expensive router).

*jut, yung FoxCom okay din (katabi ni Gaisano), they carry decent parts and usually naka price match kay PCHub hehe.
    I forgot to include Foxcom! I was visualizing the shops in my head and I couldn't pin that one shop sa tabi ng Potdog. Foxcom nga pala. Thanks bro

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Thanks! Coverage area is not an issue.

TP Link is available at PCexpress and they have several branches in Makati

http://pcx.com.ph/networking/routers.html?p=4

Please select a model for me, sub 2k ha
    Last edited by _Cathy_; January 28th, 2013 at 01:59 AM.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    ^ we use cdr-king router. 1,100 ata bili ko or 1,200. so far ok naman. mahigit 2 years na. never pinatay except out of town na walang natira dito sa bahay para matulog.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Thanks! Coverage area is not an issue.

TP Link is available at PCexpress and they have several branches in Makati

Routers - Networking

Please select a model for me, sub 2k ha
    Park Square 1 is a good place to look for cheap electronics. Not sure if they've started demolishing it already though

From PCX's price list, I'd recommend the TP-Link WR740N. It's the successor to my WR642G and already features 150 mbps Wireless-N. Basically, it has all the basic functionality you need from a router. It only costs 1.2k, too.

There's a higher-spec version of that, the WR841N, which features 300 mbps Wireless-N and wider coverage, for 1.6k. You won't be needing the 300 mbps wireless-N since local internet speeds barely reach 5 mbps for most folks. Since coverage isn't an issue either, there's really not much point in getting this unless you have plans of moving to a bigger residence in the very near future.
    Last edited by jut703; January 28th, 2013 at 02:08 AM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast