New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    We each have (sometimes multiple) laptops at home but we still keep a desktop PC that I built back in 2019. Even my wife prefers using it over her more powerful laptop bought in 2022, likely because of the 27in multi-monitor setup I made. I still enjoy building them since I picked up the hobby back in the 90s.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Spreadsheet work on a laptop ... not enjoyable ...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Spreadsheet work on a laptop ... not enjoyable ...
    i know of a heavy, professional-style user (or gamer? heh heh.)
    one big-ish computer, with two large monitors.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    That's me, doc!

Ostensibly the second monitor is for a preview of my work output, so I can be working on one monitor while seeing the results immediately on the second.
    In actual use the second monitor is displaying Youtube, Netflix or other local media

For the original question: I have multiples of both. As they say: horses for courses.

Fixed:
    1 work desktop
    1 gaming desktop
    1 server for work (VMs, private DNS, etc)
    1 server for home media (*******s, Jellyfin, Samba, etc)

Portable:
    1 thin and light laptop for work and meetings
    1 gaming laptop for gaming and occasional heavier work while on the go
    1 android tablet
    1 ipad

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    That's me, doc!

Ostensibly the second monitor is for a preview of my work output, so I can be working on one monitor while seeing the results immediately on the second.
    In actual use the second monitor is displaying Youtube, Netflix or other local media

For the original question: I have multiples of both. As they say: horses for courses.

Fixed:
    1 work desktop
    1 gaming desktop
    1 server for work (VMs, private DNS, etc)
    1 server for home media (*******s, Jellyfin, Samba, etc)

Portable:
    1 thin and light laptop for work and meetings
    1 gaming laptop for gaming and occasional heavier work while on the go
    1 android tablet
    1 ipad
    ... and here i am, having trouble searching for still-undiscovered capabilities of my basic oppo...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    this is interesting ...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post

I have 2 different setups at home. The first one is for work (uses a laptop) and the other one, a desktop, is for gaming and photo/video editing.

1. My WFH setup has my company-issued Dell connected to a docking station with two external monitors: a 34" ultrawide and a 27" monitor. The ultrawide is on 1440p resolution ("2K") and is used for spreadsheets, process flows, charts, and anything else which makes good use of its 21:9 aspect ratio. The second monitor is on 1080p and is used mainly for screen-sharing during calls (on Teams, Zoom, Slack). The laptop screen is relegated to emails, chats, and powerpoint presenter view.

What I like about 2024 is that most docking stations use USB-C and can be used across multiple devices (including tablets and cellphones!).

2. My gaming station is a desktop with a Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo: a curved super ultrawide monitor with a 32:9 aspect ratio. All peripherals here are wired to mitigate latency.

I used to have multiple desktops at home (running linux and older versions of Windows) but these were all donated during the pandemic. These days I keep just two desktops: a Windows one for gaming and a mac mini that has laid dormant for a long time now.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    As of 2024......

I have a:

2022 i3-12100/RX6600
    2022 i5-12400F/RTX 3060
    2022 R5 5600X/GTX 1660 Super

2023 Beelink SER5 Max MiniPC (R7 5800H)
    2021 14" ASUS E410MA-B laptop (Celeron N4020)

The Beelink is paired with a portable monitor. It's now my mobile platform when I'm on the road instead of a laptop. From my experiences? 1. I don't use a computer much in public. 2. I always connected an external mouse and keyboard. So much of a laptop is useless to me. A MiniPC is a better fit.

HE HE. That old Celeron laptop replaced my old tablet which is what I surf with at the malls. It's cheaper than most mobile devices. So, I wouldn't shed a tear if it broke or got stolen.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; May 22nd, 2024 at 11:22 PM.

9. Join Date
    May 2011
    I have two main computers I use at home.

One is a t0rrent server running on a BEELINK MINI PC with two external RAID drive bays. This runs 24/7 & basically runs as a file server.

Second is a gaming PC, an ASUS TUF gaming laptop with 32 inch 144mhz LED screen and sound bar speaker. I also watch movies/TV shows on this.

I used to build my own system from scratch but ready-made PCs like the Mini PCs are so convenient, reliable and compact. Its hard to believe the computer is smaller than the AVR.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 331057986_594715665806042_2947464846515873968_n.jpg  

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I'll still have desktop PCs because they do everything. What I quit buying are consoles. I haven't had a console since the PS3 and doing just fine. Consoles seem to be the most useless devices around.