New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    In this age of laptops, tablets, and smartphones, desktop PCs have greatly fallen out of favor compared to their portable counterparts.

Back in college, I barely used my desktop and did most schoolwork on my laptop. Nowadays though, I find that whenever I'm home, I use my 8-year old desktop more frequently than my laptops.

Perhaps it's the larger screen and more ergonomic keyboard/mouse setup, or maybe the fact that I'm more productive when sitting on a desk, than if I was lying on my bed or on the couch with my laptop.

Still running with the ff. specs:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad (2.4 GHz, overclocked to 3.0 GHz)
    Mobo - Foxconn P45A-S
    RAM - 6 GB Kingston DDR2-800
    Storage - 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD, 1 TB Seagate Barracuda, 250 GB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    HSF - Cooler Master Hyper 212+
    VC - nVidia GTX 460 768MB
    PSU - Cougar 550W 80+ Bronze
    Monitor - Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23" Full HD IPS

Pretty old setup, which clearly shows during CPU-intensive tasks, and it can't play the latest games anymore at max settings. I've sold my Logitech steering wheel so I don't play racing simulators anymore since time no longer permits.

However, for day to day use, it still does its job really well. After getting an SSD and a clean install of Windows 10, it boots in about 20 seconds, faster than any of my laptops (even my Macbook Pro). Recently upgraded my RAM and overclocked the aging CPU as well to avoid hiccups in Photoshop or Lightroom.

Feel free to share your desktop specs and stories as well. [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Meron pa kami. Whatever na paglumaan ni misis sa opis nila, binibili namin patra gamitin sa bahay. The last one we bought for Php4,000 (HP). Okay naman for general purpose usage.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Still using my desktop for everything that is not related to work and important documents; used to be a photo editing machine when i still photoshopped and for prototyping applications when i still was involved with java. I doubt i would be looking for an upgrade soon since I don't look forward on playing the latest video games. Prefer doing work on laptops since i can move to other rooms when i want to. I want a dual monitor setup actually but cant justify it since i dont work on this pc anymore.
    This is my 3rd desktop in a span of 15 years; would love to build a liquid cooled rig if i had extra resources.

Processor i5 3.30ghz
    8gb ram ripjaws
    Mobo asus h77
    Radeon 6850
    Psu corsir cx600
    24in lg monitor
    Edifier speakers
    Razer gaming mouse
    And a small dragon war keyboard.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Since 2010, we have less use of our desktops at home since most of our web activities are done on iPads. But for productivity and specialized tasks like editing/rendering videos, authoring MS Office documents and such, you can't beat a desktop or laptop.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    The whole family shifted to laptops in 2003, we never looked at desktops since. Now I cringe everytime I remember that we were buying 11" centrino laptops with 512mb RAM and 40Gb HDDs at P80k! My latest buy is a 17" pentium with 3Gb RAM and 500Gb HDD at P20k!

6. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    i still turn on my desktop but only when doing number crunching. it's watercooled with 5 cores running at 4.0ghz per core. not fast by today's standards

has serial-attached SCSI (SAS) seagate cheetahs running at 15,000 RPM. not SSDs

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Calistro View Post
    This is my 3rd desktop in a span of 15 years; would love to build a liquid cooled rig if i had extra resources.
    Back in college I also dreamed of a high-end desktop. I even drafted builds every month so that when the time came that I could afford one, I was ready. However, now I can't even justify spending close to 100k on a computer - there are so many other things I can buy or invest with that money.

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Since 2010, we have less use of our desktops at home since most of our web activities are done on iPads. But for productivity and specialized tasks like editing/rendering videos, authoring MS Office documents and such, you can't beat a desktop or laptop.
    For mindless consumption like scrolling on social media, smartphones and tablets are much more convenient. However, I find that I still prefer my desktop for managing my finances, mail, and all other tasks that require my input.

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    i still turn on my desktop but only when doing number crunching. it's watercooled with 5 cores running at 4.0ghz per core. not fast by today's standards

has serial-attached SCSI (SAS) seagate cheetahs running at 15,000 RPM. not SSDs
    Curious, what's your setup that results in 5-cores? I always thought those server-class multi-CPU setups were only available as even-numbered cores. Only thing I can think of that gives a total of 5 is a tri-core Phenom and dual-core Phenom, but I don't know much about AMD setups and whether their consumer-class processors are available in multi-CPU setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    2010 mid range set up
    CPU: Intel dual core 3.2 Ghz
    Mobo: Asus (forgot the model i'll check later)
    Ram: 2GB Samsung DDR2
    Storage: 1TB Drive
    VC - Nvidia GT350
    Monitor: Cube 21 LeD

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i have yet to see a keyboard and mouse, that is more comfortable to use, than those on my desktop pc..
    laptop keyboards are non-ergonomic.
    tablet keyboards... only because there is no choice.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Do I still have, yes. Do I still use, nope. Last desktop PC left in my bodega even has an old crt monitor (colored) and uses I think win 98 so it's that old. I did try to boot it one time. Gumana pa. Pwede pang dos games. Hehehe

Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast