New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    I guess the MMDA personnel on the ground don't carry rulers to measure the actual water depth.
    which i think they should since sila yung asa location ng floods and they dessiminate informations, so drivers/commuters can plan ahead their routes lalo na kung naka base sila sa social networking.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    BAHA + KOTSE = PROBLEMA

Most drivers tend to take chances (nagbabakasakali) ... and suffer the consequences ... then blame everybody including the government ... except themselves!

Kung ayaw mong magka-problema ang kotse mo, wag dumaan sa baha! Simple as that.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Huwag kasi magpa pressure Sa mga nasa likod na busina ng busina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cast_no_shadow View Post
    OT lang. When driving i always check tweets from MMDA to check for flooded streets.

Nakakabadtrip lang yung "knee deep" "waist deep" ang hirap timbangin diba? why they dont use inches instead? yung "gutter deep" medyo maiintindihan mo pa eh.
    Mas madali maintindihan ng maraming tao ang "knee deep", "waist deep" at "lagpas tao".

Quote Originally Posted by cast_no_shadow View Post
    OT lang. When driving i always check tweets from MMDA to check for flooded streets.

Nakakabadtrip lang yung "knee deep" "waist deep" ang hirap timbangin diba? why they dont use inches instead? yung "gutter deep" medyo maiintindihan mo pa eh.
    ngayon lang ako nakabasa ng ganyang comment..
    ano mas madaling intindihin,

29inch or Knee Deep

hahanap ka pa ng ruler para magsukat ng 29inch?

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    simple lang naman 12 inches is 1 feet so 29 inches is over 2 feet. 2 feet 5 inches. Thats deep. Not passable to cars and SUVs.
    I just checked that 736.66 mm. For stock pick ups, I think only the new Ranger and Colorado are rated with 800mm stock flood fording depth.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    The skinny on myths about flood driving | Inquirer Business
    Jeanette Ipapo-Tuason

Myth 7: Pump your brakes after passing through water.

Skinny: True. My husband (JP Tuason), who teaches defensive driving, always mentions this during his seminars. Pumping the brakes dries the brake pads because a wet braking system is unresponsive and this is a recipe for a crash.

Just make sure that when you pump on the brake, you are driving on the outermost lane, as you could cause an accident. This action actually irritates me, especially those who are driving in the middle of the road, and suddenly stepping on the brake. They assume that every vehicle "going out of the water", has the same stopping power...

What I actually do here is drive slowly (preferably on the outermost lane) and slightly step on the brake to accelerate heating/drying of the (brake) pads....

16.6K:sunny::sampay:
    Last edited by CVT; August 10th, 2012 at 09:58 AM.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    simple lang naman 12 inches is 1 feet so 29 inches is over 2 feet. 2 feet 5 inches. Thats deep. Not passable to cars and SUVs.
    I just checked that 736.66 mm. For stock pick ups, I think only the new Ranger and Colorado are rated with 800mm stock flood fording depth.
    Again, mas madali intindihin ang colloquial measurements for more people. Kunwari FX driver ka. Nasa daan ka, nakikinig ng radyo. Sabi nung announcer, "2 feet 5 inches na po yung baha sa P.Tuazon". Sa tingin mo maiintindihan niya yun?

Hindi instinctive ang measurements whether imperial or metric. The easiest to understand would probably be 5 feet, because people know that it's about a few inches below their height. But not a lot of people know that knee-deep is around 20 inches, waist deep is around 3 feet, while shoulder deep is close to 4.5-5 feet.

And if the argument is that measurements are more precise than body part approximations, I ask, does it freakin' matter? For the mother trying to get home to her kids during a storm, who's contemplating whether to cross a flooded intersection or to turn around 5 km just to find an alternate route, I'm pretty sure walang difference yung 2 ft. 5 inches sa 2 ft. 10 inches na baha. Pero pag sinabihan mo siyang waist deep, hindi niya idadaan yung kotse niya dun.

Hindi naman kasi lahat ng tao, "Uy sabi sa news 700 mm palang yung baha sa Araneta Ave. Sige isusulong ko yung Ranger ko."
    Pretty darn unrealistic if you ask me.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

Just make sure that when you pump on the brake, you are driving on the outermost lane, as you could cause an accident. This action actually irritates me, especially those who are driving in the middle of the road, and suddenly stepping on the brake. They assume that every vehicle "going out of the water", has the same stopping power...

What I actually do here is drive slowly (preferably on the outermost lane) and slightly step on the brake to accelerate heating/drying of the (brake) pads....

16.6K:sunny::sampay:
    In my case, I slowly accelerate with my left foot riding the brake pedal. Easily done on A/T vehicles.

But with all-disk brakes, it doesn't take long for the brakes to dry up. Usually a 100 meters or less of brake riding would do the trick.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    In my case, I slowly accelerate with my left foot riding the brake pedal. Easily done on A/T vehicles.

Is left foot braking ok in a flood?

I gotta admit, this I haven't tried.

-- Tapatalked post

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast