New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    The skinny on myths about flood driving | Inquirer Business
    Jeanette Ipapo-Tuason

I just recently celebrated my birthday, which means it’s the rainy season. On a bad year, either a volcano erupted or a major earthquake happened somewhere but usually just heavy rain, which nevertheless keeps everybody from leaving the party. Since rains and floods are already here, it’s time to debunk some driving in the flood myths.

Myth 1: If you drive into a flood, turn off the air conditioner.

Skinny: True. According to 4×4 expert Beeboy Bargas, turning off the air conditioner in the older model cars was important because they didn’t have a separate clutch fan. The engine has a solitary fan, which works with a pulley connected to all the system. Turning off the air conditioner decreases the chances of damaging the system. For newer models, floodwater can short out the electrical parts of the car resulting in more heart and headaches than a few sauna-like minutes in your newfound submarine.

Myth 2: An SUV is an amphibian.

Skinny: False. Even if they are as rugged and high, the S in SUV does not mean submarine. The advantage of an SUV is usually the air box (where air comes in to the engine—which is used to burn fuel) is higher than the usual sedans, it is still prone to water damage. You can usually see this air intake near the inside fender. The air is important in the fuel. It is also important in the air combustion process, which keeps the engine on, therefore producing a force that expels the water from the muffler, which is another entry point for water.

Myth 3: …and so is the pick-up.

Skinny: False. Pick-ups are also not amphibians. They might be horses because they usually have a higher wheelbase and/or bigger tires that are helpful in these conditions. The 4×4 vehicles that you see crossing rivers usually have an air scoop, whichis installed to raise the entry point of air into the engine higher up in the vehicle and ensuring that the fuel and air combustion in the engine continues.

Myth 4: You need to step on the accelerator continuously (while driving through floodwater).

Skinny: Partially. Stepping on the accelerator increases this force that makes sure that water does not come into the engine through the muffler. But you don’t need to overdo it. As long as the engine is on, the outward force will continue to come out of the muffler, expelling the water in the process.

Myth 5: If it’s just about knee-high, it is safe to drive.

Skinny: False. According to Floodready.com, only half a meter of floodwater is enough to sweep a car off the road. There are other factors that you don’t see under the murky waters that can turn your EDSA drive into a white-water rafting experience.

Myth 6: High water is the only danger.

Skinny: False. During the rain, a lot of debris are washed away from our sooo clean streets (I am being sarcastic here). There is a possibility that items that can either puncture your tire or put a dent in your car, such as floating trashcans, woods, pieces of metal, Godzilla, etc., are lurking under the waters.

Myth 7: Pump your brakes after passing through water.

Skinny: True. My husband (JP Tuason), who teaches defensive driving, always mentions this during his seminars. Pumping the brakes dries the brake pads because a wet braking system is unresponsive and this is a recipe for a crash.

Myth 8: When flooded, drive at the center of the road.

Skinny: True. According to Mike Johnson, owner of Trapik.com, most of the roads are crowned, making the center the highest part of the road. This may sound very bitchy, but, hey, I don’t think there’s a lot of you that will attempt this anyway.

So now that we have debunked some of the myths, please don’t claim that you have not been informed. A great philosopher once said: “And knowing is half the battle”… wait I think that was GI Joe.

For comments and suggestions, please e-mail me at jntATtuasonracingDOTcom. Please e-mail us your tips in driving safe during the rainy season. The top 10 best tips will get Ford’s First Gear Book for New Drivers.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Actually... Should have mentioned the problem with water being incompressible... Which means when water enters your airbox, bye bye bye.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    TFS Verbl :thumbup:

4. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    This lady is yet to see a lifted diesel 4x4 with a snorkel traversing the espana floodwaters, I saw two land cruiser 80 series,a hilux vigo and an fj40 land cruiser yesterday crossed it like it was nothing even if half of their windshield is submerged in water, Our 80 series saved us last ondoy and it tackled floods as long as the water doesn't reach the snorkel

5. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Actually... Should have mentioned the problem with water being incompressible... Which means when water enters your airbox, bye bye bye.
    suddenly, i just remembered the very "smart" butch gamboa and his flood driving tips.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shredingman123 View Post
    This lady is yet to see a lifted diesel 4x4 with a snorkel traversing the espana floodwaters, I saw two land cruiser 80 series,a hilux vigo and an fj40 land cruiser yesterday crossed it like it was nothing even if half of their windshield is submerged in water, Our 80 series saved us last ondoy and it tackled floods as long as the water doesn't reach the snorkel
    Sinabi niya naman na merong mga 4x4 na nakaka-traverse ng high waters dahil sa snorkels ah. Don't be hatin'.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shredingman123 View Post
    Hindi pinasok interior?

Would like to add driving ethics sana when driving sa flood waters. Sana slow down as not to create a big wave that will throw pedestrians off balance.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I turn off the A/C for a slightly different reason: Myth or not, I do it to protect the aux fans and radiator. When the fans are turning at high speeds (A/C on), submersing the lower half of the fan could cause the fan blades to break off or otherwise the rotor could become misaligned/imbalanced and cause the blades to make contact with the radiator.

tama yung when crossing a flooded area dapat first gear lang & avoid changing gears
    to minimize the water entering the transmission area.. + checkbreaks after crossing
    nice tips!

--------------

been through sa knee deep kanina.. Manila San Andres bukid
    wala pang isang oras grabe yung baha knee deep agad! buti hindi inabot yung pickup ko..
    4-5pm knee deep agad. 1am na ako nakauwi inantay ko pa kumalahati yung baha.

http://www.facebook.com/v/2408600109746

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_boy View Post
    Hindi pinasok interior?

Would like to add driving ethics sana when driving sa flood waters. Sana slow down as not to create a big wave that will throw pedestrians off balance.
    It takes a which for water to seep in. If the crossing is only a minute or two, should be no problem.

But even with a snorkel, you're not invulnerable. Since the interior is full of air, fast moving water can pick up your SUV and toss it sideways. It pays to pick your battles wisely when crossing water.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast