New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    I prefer a system overhaul than martial law, lahat ng dumi nan dun pa rin

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I spent my time in the Philippines on and off from 1975-1985. Under Marcos, Las Pinas City was largely left alone. There were no anti-government demonstrations there nor were there any sort of gun play. It seemed like an ideal place to grow up in. I spent most of my teens and HS watching Bagong Lipunan BS/propaganda from afar. The only direct influences of Marcos in my life then were seeing his picture daily in school and the Green Revolution in school where I had to make and tend a plot of camoteng kahoy. Overall though, It was quiet. It seemed almost idealic. I'm sure many who lived in one of the subdivisions in Las Pinas back then would agree with me on these.

It seemed normal too in neighboring Cavite where I often visited some of my poorer relatives. But, there were enough reports of "salvagings" in the news to make me wonder. Many were blamed on thugs although under whispered talk, the blame was laid on Marcos' cronies who used the local police force and the Philippine Constabulary as their prsonal tools. I've already mentioned earlier about seeing a teen "salvaged" (in Binakayan, Kawit Cavite) although it was hard to tell if he was a teen because a shotgun blast blew his face away.

After that, it became really confusing for me because life seemed good at home. Yet, dead people seemed to be turning out almost every other day in the news.

Once I started college in Manila, I became more adventurous and finally got exposed to the anti-government student rallies that seemed to occur daily. My parents warned me not to get involved because as a "foreigner" attending college in the Philippines, I can get kicked out of the country. But, I was friends with a couple of Iranian students who were exiled after the Shah got booted out of Iran. We'd venture near those rallies. Then, when the police charged to disperse the students, we'd freeze and clutch our books like we're waiting for a bus and the police would leave us alone and chase those students who were running away. Even after seeing all these, I still sort of regarded the student rallies as a nuisance (much like some of the opinions here) because it delayed my commute back home.

Ninoy's assasination changed all that, especially after the subsequent whitewash. I started to think my mom's right. But, my time in the Philippines was drawing to a close. My wife's aunt and cousins visited the Philippines in 1984. Her 2 female cousins attended HS in La Salle Zobel for the remainder of the schoolyear. After they got done in early 1985, they all went back to the US and I came along. I thus missed out on EDSA 1. Watching those events on tv, all I could say was Wow.....

Even though martial law seemed far away where I lived in Las Pinas, I'd still prefer a full-blown democracy. It's not merely the loss of freedoms. But, it's also the manipulation of the military and law enforcement for personal use and abuse that scares me. The illusion of order under Marcos can't hide the fact that abuses were going on.

Oh by the way.... Did I forget to say that my best friend and I were riding a minibus home along EDSA from Cubao? The bus driver overtook a military jeep with a PC major driving. For some reason, the major got pissed off and started yelling abuse at the driver. Of course, our bus driver just kept going like the major wasn't even there. The latter then drove far ahead and disappeared from view. The next thing we knew, there was the military jeep parked at the opposite shoulder with the major holding an M-16 and loading a magazine. When we drew near, he hunched down and leveled the M-16 at us. All of us in the bus instinctively ducked and hit the floor while the bus driver weaved crazily for a moment. Luckily, the major didn't fire or there'd be many dead in that crowded bus. Only under martial law can such a dick have the balls to try such a thing......
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; February 26th, 2006 at 07:47 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Even if I believe GMA is the best to run the country right now given the alternatives, I would have to say GMA would be destructuve (evil one) if she would become dictator in a permanent martial law.

but if she's indeed going use the state of emergency for the time being to quash the reported coup attempt (sa news there's an alliance with communists to bring down the government) then I would have to say effective, fight fire with fire ika nga. GMA stealing while in government is a much happier thought compared to red communists taking over this country

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Sirs, freedom is a hard won thing. Let us not recklessly throw it away. We have laws which do address our problems. Let us act to ensure enforcement of the law, but not sacrifice our freedom. Let us get rid of our sense of entitlement, protect what we have and work for a brighter future. The world owes us nothing, it is up to us and not some pie in the sky leader.

Let us not succumb to our need for the 'quick fix.'

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    payag ako sa martial law,kung ang pinuno ay matino at bayan ang uunahin,hindi yung kaban nya muna,pero wishful thinking na lang yung merong leader na ibang tao ang uunahin.sa martial law kasi lahat matino,sumusunod sa mga pinaguutos pag sumunod umuunlad.basta wag lang gma pupwede yun magawan ng paraan.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Looking at what our Constitution says, martial law was never intended to be a permanent measure to fix what's wrong with our government. Congress and, yes, even the Courts can nullify the President's act of placing the country in a state of martial law.

You have to distinguish between martial law and dictatorship or authoritarianism as a form of governance. Singapore was lucky to have a benevolent authoritarian figure in Lee Kuan Yew as a head of state. We have yet to find someone in the Philippines with that kind of character and vision for the country.

Put me in for a resounding "NO".

7. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    absolutely not! we should all be against anything that curtails our basic democratic rights.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Our people are already being abused by a corrupt government. What more can the administration do with Martial Law?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    martial law is not dictatorship per se, can also be announced after a major natural disaster or a foreign/terrorist attack. if both ingredients present: martial law + dictatorship, may god help us all.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kung si unano ang magde-declare wag na noh!!!! state of emergency nga lang may mga bina-block na syang human rights, pati media pinapatahimik. what more kung martial law grrrrrrrrrr....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
for or againts martial law