New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Marcos hi-way nga kinaya ng lite ace ko dati, with 6 people and bags. What more of a diesel 4x4 rig?

OT:
    Honestly, hindi ba talaga kaya ng 4x2 coming from Baguio to Sagada? Let's say mga AUV?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated!!! Balitaan ko kayo kung ano nang-yari. Panibagong experience na naman no. Yahoo!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Manila - Baguio: Mo problem with that as long as you know how to use your gears properly and don't get scared of revving to the higher rev range. If you're driving a matic, make use of manual shifting to the lower gears or turn the o/d off, especially when you're on a descent.

Baguio - Sagada: 4x2's can hack the trip, especially now that it's dry season. Maybe the most you'll be using would be 4WD high if you encounter loose gravel/slippery portions.

I'd be concerened more with the condition of your rides, especially since the vehicles concerned are RHD converted units. Make sure your suspension and other parts are up to the task... The Baguio - Sagada route can be quite bumpy.

Check all your fluid levels (change oil?), brakes, check/replace your fan belts, clean the air filters, check your tires and your spare, bring a good/strong tow rope... if you have none, you can buy one along the way in one of those surplus shops in Mabalacat, Pampanga.

Happy motoring.

4. Join Date
    May 2004
    try to check you're spare tires... mabato ang daan sa sagada...

things i do when going on a long trip: check all belts(palit or i always have spares with me), extreme tape for hoses na baka mag leak, spare tyre (repair kit kung biglang mabutasan), all liquids(brake fluid, atf, coolant), spare bulbs (especially headlight and brake lamps), spanners and drivers, flashlights. I do this as my ride is also ex-rhd so better safe than sorry.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolodeon
    Mga masters, expert advice naman dyan.

It would be my first time next week to go to Baguio, then Sagada driving a 4WD vehicle. Bale route naming family, Baguio muna then to Sagada after one or two days. Balak ko is to pass through Marcos hi-way.

Now, since first timer ako using a 4WD vehicle, I was wondering sana if you guys can give me advice on when and where should I engage my 4WD system.

For example, on steep ascents sa Marcos, should I use 4L? Am I correct to assume na, if I do engage my 4WD, I have to stop, place my A/T stick on 'N', engage the 4WD system, then drive on?. To disengage, stop, place stick on 'N', disengage 4WD and do a reverse for several meters until I hear the hub-lock disengage. Am I right? When descending, what do I do?

On rough terrain going to Sagada, should I use 4L or 4H?

Any info or advice would really help me. Thanks in advance.
    no need to engage your 4wd going up to marcos hi way (or kennon rd/naguillan road for that matter). going up marcos hi way on 4x2 only is more than sufficient.

going to sagada however, if its not raining and the road is dry no need to engage your 4wd also, 4x2 is more than sufficient. if it's raining however and the road is wet, you'll find going on 4H would be helpful specially the mt. province side of the road as its 95% unpaved up to sagada. just remember to bring tools and spare of everything as there's no one that can help you there should you run into car trouble.

hope this helps.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    guys,

using an AT on downhills....

my dad tells me that I should put the tranny to a lower gear (d2 or sa Invecs 2, second gear) para tumulong ang engine breaking para di kami mahulog sa bangin

Is this the proper way or should I leave the AT alone and just use the breaks to control my speed...? ok na ata mapudpod breaks ko than gastado ang tranny dba?

thanks

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    depends how long the downhill stretch is

kung maiksi lang, like city streets, okay naman yung brake-controlled descent

pero kung ilang kilometro yung pababa, tulad ng pababa ng baguio, di naman pwedeng naka-preno ka the whole way, sunog brakes mo nyan. 3rd gear or 2nd gear ka niyan mostly, depending on the road. syempre, that doesnt mean that you dont use your brakes to control your descent even with some engine braking assistance

9. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    thanks mbt,

the first descent I did from baguio was all brakes. buti nalang ok lang ung breaks. Next time

bwahahaha. I mispelled BRAKES as breaks. hehe. sorry
    Last edited by bad driver; March 15th, 2005 at 07:19 PM.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I'm from baguio and i also drive a 4x4 vehicle. i never used the 4x4 system on the roads of Marcos Hiway. it isn't necessary. but if you choose to go up to baguio via the riverside of marcos hiway, then you'll most likely need to use it. hehe. happy trip bro!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
First time going to Baguio and Sagada driving a 4WD rig