New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Mga masters, expert advice naman dyan.

It would be my first time next week to go to Baguio, then Sagada driving a 4WD vehicle. Bale route naming family, Baguio muna then to Sagada after one or two days. Balak ko is to pass through Marcos hi-way.

Now, since first timer ako using a 4WD vehicle, I was wondering sana if you guys can give me advice on when and where should I engage my 4WD system.

For example, on steep ascents sa Marcos, should I use 4L? Am I correct to assume na, if I do engage my 4WD, I have to stop, place my A/T stick on 'N', engage the 4WD system, then drive on?. To disengage, stop, place stick on 'N', disengage 4WD and do a reverse for several meters until I hear the hub-lock disengage. Am I right? When descending, what do I do?

On rough terrain going to Sagada, should I use 4L or 4H?

Any info or advice would really help me. Thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    what 4WD vehicle are you using? it will give us an idea on the type of system you have.

andy

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    We would actually be using two vehicles, both Delica Starwagon A/Ts.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    what is your vehicle?

for part-time 4wd vehicles, 4H should only be engaged on loose or low-traction surfaces. this includes mud, rutted trails, clay, sand, etc... pwede na rin yung gravel and grass. on sealed surfaces, high-traction surfaces like pavement, DO NOT engage 4H or you may damage your drivetrain components and will have difficulty steering.

4L is meant for more difficult stuff like steep ascents and descents on low-traction surfaces, or stuff where you'll wonder if your vehicle can actually manage the terrain hehe. for gravel roads that are relatively flat or for gentle inclines, 4H will usually be sufficient. mabagal ang takbo ng sasakyan in 4L. for paved roads on steep hills, use 2H. on pavement, always use two-wheel drive. for alternating low-traction and sealed surfaces, switch to two-wheel drive on sealed surfaces.

when in 4L (i don't think you'll need to engage 4L for the trip youre planning), resist the temptation to ride the clutch (for a manual) and resist the temptation to overuse the brakes on descents (for a matic).

for full-time 4wd, e.g. Super Select 4wd of mitsubishi, i think you can manage the whole way without locking your center diff. but for sections where traction may be scarce, engaging the center diff lock gives the same effect as engaging 4H in a part-time vehicle.
    Last edited by mbt; March 15th, 2005 at 12:07 PM.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    super select ba ang delica?

andy

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Hindi po 'ata super select. Hindi sya full-time 4WD.

I can comment only on the Marcos Highway leg. No need to go 4WD for this part of your trip. I would turn OD off though or kung kakapusin pa shift from D to 2. Steep ascent lang naman diyan is after the tunnel. Hataw ka lang after the tunnel and the bridge, as in turn off A/C then go fast. Aabot ka nun sa taas. Pag kinapos shift down sa 2 which is ok 'til 80-100kph. Enjoy and balitaan mo kami. 4d56 ba yan na auto? (auto tranny pala in-assume ko)

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Yep. 4d56 na A/T. Thanks for the info.

9. FrankDrebin Guest
    Baka kaya naman ng 4x2? Kasi kung yung mga Sarao at mga taga-roon naka-kotse pa yung iba eh kayang-kaya eh.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sa Marcos no prob sa mga 4x2 Diesels. Lalo na sa 4x4. Dati L300 dala namin fully loaded kayang-kaya.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
First time going to Baguio and Sagada driving a 4WD rig