New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2007
    mga bossing, ano ano po ba ang mga papalitan at paano ginagawa ang top overhaul?

meron ba kayong recommended na shop na magaling dito pero affordable yung price?

tnx!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kung malapit ka sa San Juan or don't mind driving to San Juan, subukan mo ang kaibigan ko na mekaniko si Ray Sarol, 09209252290.

Pag dating sa makina, siya nag aalaga ng oto ko. Text mo muna sya bago ka punta, pwede naman puntahan mo muna sya at sabihin/ipakita mo ang problema sa kanya para masabi nya sayo kung ano ang dapat gawin.

HTH

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gaboy View Post
    mga bossing, ano ano po ba ang mga papalitan at paano ginagawa ang top overhaul?

meron ba kayong recommended na shop na magaling dito pero affordable yung price?

tnx!
    hi gaboy!
    depende sa kung anung makitang pyesa na damaged and out of specs:valves, valve springs, guides.you will be asked to purchase an overhauling gasket (approx.1- 1.5 k) that should include the cylinder head gasket specific for your car make.
    most shops will charge you about 2.5 - 3.5 k for a gas engine overhaul (labor only)...i suggest you go to a shop that will allow you to watch the procedure. it will be a good experience (if you have time to spare).usually takes 2 - 3 hours for a top overhaul. needless to say they need to perform a compression leakage test before they open the engine, the result of which should be given to you.

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    sir, puti kasi ang usok na lumalabas sa tambutso ko, ang sabi kasi sa akin ng kakilala kong mekaniko ay kailangan na daw ng top overhaul. meron pa nga daw ima-machine shop dun kapag nagpa-top overhaul. tama ba yung suggestion nya na top overhaul kapag maputi ang usok?

Quote Originally Posted by mangdencio View Post
    hi gaboy!
    depende sa kung anung makitang pyesa na damaged and out of specs:valves, valve springs, guides.you will be asked to purchase an overhauling gasket (approx.1- 1.5 k) that should include the cylinder head gasket specific for your car make.
    most shops will charge you about 2.5 - 3.5 k for a gas engine overhaul (labor only)...i suggest you go to a shop that will allow you to watch the procedure. it will be a good experience (if you have time to spare).usually takes 2 - 3 hours for a top overhaul. needless to say they need to perform a compression leakage test before they open the engine, the result of which should be given to you.

top overhaul ng 2c-turbo ng liteace ko -->

3/16 center bengkong ang alum. head (6500 all-> head resurface, valve reseat, re-lap at clearance(walang clearance adjustment ang 2c!))

1300->original head gasket, 150 ang shellac varnish

100x4-> palinis ng fuel injectors, 900x4 ang bnew fuel injectors,e , 800 fuel filter.

3500 labor ng mekaniko namin.

nga pala if you plan to have a top overhaul, masmaganda wag ka muna pa-change-oil, sabay mo na ang change oil pag binuksan na ang makina mo.....let it drip while nasa machine shop ang head...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gaboy View Post
    sir, puti kasi ang usok na lumalabas sa tambutso ko, ang sabi kasi sa akin ng kakilala kong mekaniko ay kailangan na daw ng top overhaul. meron pa nga daw ima-machine shop dun kapag nagpa-top overhaul. tama ba yung suggestion nya na top overhaul kapag maputi ang usok?
    gaboy,
    white smoke (in exhaust pipe) is characteristic of starting a cold engine -the smoke disappears after a few minutes. it does not necessarily require repair..white smoke (blowby gases) coming out of the cylinder head (oil cap) may indicate oil burning in the combustion chamber. may be due to blown out gasket, broken piston rings, damaged valves, etc.this may require top or general overhaul dependent on a prior compression testing. opt for a mechanic that will explain in detail the solution to your problem.this is a way to gauge a mechanic's technical know how...some mechanics tend to take advantage of the situation specially if he sense you're willing and eager to pay the price.i suggest you seek other mechanic's opinion on your engine. the key here is compression/leak testing to confirn the need to overhaul your engine.this way, you'll know which cylinder/bore needs attention. as temporary remedy (while you prepare for engine service), i know there are products available in the market that stops engine leaks.try STP's line of products.

i'll pm you contact nos. of shops that may be of help to you asap.where are you based, btw?

7. Join Date
    May 2007
    thank you very much for helping-out a newbie like me, really appreciate it sir! i really don't know much about engines/car components but very much eager to learn about it.

questions:
    1. what if the white smoke does not disappear even after running the car for more than 10 minutes?

2. compression testing would determine whether the engine requires a top or general overhaul?

3. white smoke only comes out of the tailpipe and not on the cylinder head/engine, so does this mean that my engine is running ok?

4. do i still need to buy products that stops engine leaks (STP products)?

i'm located in san juan.

Quote Originally Posted by mangdencio View Post
    gaboy,
    white smoke (in exhaust pipe) is characteristic of starting a cold engine -the smoke disappears after a few minutes. it does not necessarily require repair..white smoke (blowby gases) coming out of the cylinder head (oil cap) may indicate oil burning in the combustion chamber. may be due to blown out gasket, broken piston rings, damaged valves, etc.this may require top or general overhaul dependent on a prior compression testing. opt for a mechanic that will explain in detail the solution to your problem.this is a way to gauge a mechanic's technical know how...some mechanics tend to take advantage of the situation specially if he sense you're willing and eager to pay the price.i suggest you seek other mechanic's opinion on your engine. the key here is compression/leak testing to confirn the need to overhaul your engine.this way, you'll know which cylinder/bore needs attention. as temporary remedy (while you prepare for engine service), i know there are products available in the market that stops engine leaks.try STP's line of products.

i'll pm you contact nos. of shops that may be of help to you asap.where are you based, btw?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gaboy,

To solve your problem i would begin with asking questions to you.

How is your engine performance?

How is your fuel mileage?

Oil consumption?

Do you smell burning oil coming out of your tail pipe?

Any wierd noise on your engine?

have you checed your valve clearance?

Valve seal condition?

9. Join Date
    May 2007
    sir, newbie lang po ako but i'll try to answer your questions based on my very little experience with engines

engine performance seems to be ok, hindi ko masasabing malakas na malakas ang hatak pero ok naman

fuel mileage is quite low before i had a mechanic tune-up the car (last wednesaday) but now, after tune-up, actually spakplug lang ung pinalitan hindi pinalitan yung contact point at condenser, mukha namang nag-improve sya.

muka ngang nababawasan yung oil, nagpachange oil din kasi ako last wednesday, thinking na mawawala yung white smoke after change oil. i will be closely monitoring the engine oil from now on.

yes, muka ngang may halong oil yung usok sa tambutso

no, my engine is running smooth there are no weird sounds

i do not know how to check the valve clearance

i do not know what a valve seal looks like

normal po ba na merong konting oil, bahid lang naman, sa may bandang ilalim ng oil filter? pero wala namang patak ng oil sa ground na pinagparkingan ko.

Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    Gaboy,

To solve your problem i would begin with asking questions to you.

How is your engine performance?

How is your fuel mileage?

Oil consumption?

Do you smell burning oil coming out of your tail pipe?

Any wierd noise on your engine?

have you checed your valve clearance?

Valve seal condition?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Mag eliminating process muna tayo. Start with the less cost possible solution to expensive.

1. Check the valve clearance first.

2. Ask the mechanic about the condition of the valve seal.

If there is no change

3. Dry compression test then wet compression test.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
top overhaul