New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    How about a supercharger? Ala bang bolt-on supercharger kits para sa mga Mitsubishi enginges?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Superchargers actually cost more than a similar turbo set-up, and they're not often offered for small displacement lumps like the Lancer's 1.6. The turbo is easier, but like we've said, it ain't easy if you want both big power, good reliability and easy use.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    superchargers is cheaper than turbo setup.Here we go again...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    And is there something more you would like to say, ronald?

In a cost-per-horsepower calculation for low displacement engines, a turbo set-up often produces better horsepower than a supercharger... has less parasitic loss and heat soak (unavoidable with the complicated construction of the supercharger)... and it's easier to ghetto here in the Philippines...

Of course, in direct cost comparisons, there are some supercharger kits that are as cheap as turbo kits, and while they often aren't as scalable in terms of power, they're sometimes more streetable... of course, with the right sized turbines, you can make a quick spooling low power turbo set-up for much less.

And besides, this is a Mitsubishi... they're meant to be turbo-charged... anything else is sacrilege!..

EDIT: That being said... there is a supercharger kit for the Proton Satria, which also uses Lancer engines, but as I'm not familiar with it, I don't know if it's for the 1.6 or the 1.8.
    Last edited by niky; October 2nd, 2006 at 01:44 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I'n not sure if Auto.howstuffworks.com is a reliable websiter making me instant expert or instant fool. but I found this article...

[CODE]http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question122.htm[/CODE]

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last friday(?), napanood ko yung video nung Ford GT TT. And napaisip ako bigla doon sa napanood ko: IIRC, RWD yung Ford GT and malalaki yung tires niya pero problem pa rin yung traction (dami ko na naisip from here... hehehe). I'm no expert in automotives but after seeing the clip, it sowed a lot of if's and but's sakin- mainly sa cost and maintenance. Dagdag pa doon yung mga shinare ninyo na insights, mostly na rin from your own experience(s).

So siguro, upgrading to a more "capable" engine is the best way for me.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    *rion: that's usually true. The only commercially available supercharger kit for my car is around 220k - 300k (depending on trim level), while the most expensive turbocharger kit for it is around 190k... but it'll come out at a similar price due to US shipping, I suppose.

There are cheap superchargers, actually, but then again, they still can't produce as much power as a similar turbo kit, but again, they're usually more streetable, with less lag.

*Kikkoman: There's pros and cons with both. With a turbo or a supercharger, you can keep the boost pressure low to preserve your engine. Despite this, it'll still be quick enough for daily work at maybe 6-7 psi and 150-170hp. It'll cost you more than swapping in a MIVEC, but at least everything else remains stock.

If you swap in an engine, make sure you pick a good installer. Wiring problems and incompatibility are the biggest downfall of engine swaps. You might want to PM ssaloon and ask advice about who to go to for your swap if your decision is final.

Good luck... and happy motoring.
    Last edited by niky; October 2nd, 2006 at 02:59 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    an advantage for superchargers is that they produce minimal lag compared to turbochargers. but someone once told me that turbo lag is simply a courtesy head start

9. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    There is something they call "anti-lag" for turbo's, even if you put your foot off the gas, you don't lose the power in a sudden unlike usual turbo setups... Wish I had more info on these anti-lag's...

There are many differences between Turbochagers and Superchargers I don't have enough knowledge about to talk about ... All I know is I am more likely to go SC rather than turbo... SC does not make your car less reliable, street legal (CA), they're supposed to be smoother and thus better to drive with, I like the whinning sound heheh, and, power is just not what I'm after... I wouldn't need power to go faster...

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Mamar,

Most turbos have blow-off valves, either for gas or diesels. These are normally referred to as wastegates. Boost pressure is plumbed through a pilot line to the wastegate actuator. At a predtermined boost pressure, the actuator pushes a valve to dump exhaust gasses to the exhaust pipe, and bypass the turbine wheel. This limits turbo rpm and boost pressure, providing safe operation to the turbo, as well as the engine.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Questions Regarding Turbo Kits