New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
    Mamar,

Most turbos have blow-off valves, either for gas or diesels. These are normally referred to as wastegates. Boost pressure is plumbed through a pilot line to the wastegate actuator. At a predtermined boost pressure, the actuator pushes a valve to dump exhaust gasses to the exhaust pipe, and bypass the turbine wheel. This limits turbo rpm and boost pressure, providing safe operation to the turbo, as well as the engine.
    Specially on high rpm.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by blink21me View Post
    There is something they call "anti-lag" for turbo's, even if you put your foot off the gas, you don't lose the power in a sudden unlike usual turbo setups... Wish I had more info on these anti-lag's...

There are many differences between Turbochagers and Superchargers I don't have enough knowledge about to talk about ... All I know is I am more likely to go SC rather than turbo... SC does not make your car less reliable, street legal (CA), they're supposed to be smoother and thus better to drive with, I like the whinning sound heheh, and, power is just not what I'm after... I wouldn't need power to go faster...
    There are a number of turbo kits that are CARB-legal. But BMWs seem to be supercharger cars... Most luxury or european luxury-sport cars have a plethora of aftermarket supercharger kits available... as superchargers are smoother and more... "suave"... ...just right for European cars.

But the price for a BMW supercharger here is ridiculous... almost 8,000 dollars!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    There are a number of turbo kits that are CARB-legal. But BMWs seem to be supercharger cars... Most luxury or european luxury-sport cars have a plethora of aftermarket supercharger kits available... as superchargers are smoother and more... "suave"... ...just right for European cars.

But the price for a BMW supercharger here is ridiculous... almost 8,000 dollars!
    maybe that's the reason why you're saying supercharger are expensive than turbo,I was thinking of supercharger and turbo kits for 350z and civic.Anyway too many factors to debate this thing.You heard about the new BMW twin turbo setup,zero lag? supercharger are for wuss.IMO.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Oh, don't get me wrong... BMW stuff is always extremely pricey here.

I was talking about prices in regards to FWD compacts. Supercharger upgrades are scarce for many compacts, and in many cases, as with my own car, a supercharger kit will cost more for less possible power.

The Honda B16 is a rarity in that Jackson Racing has an extensive and inexpesive line-up of superchargers for the B-engines. But this is mostly because they use a turbo-charger type compressor instead of the more common screw-types on superchargers commonly made for bigger engines and they have a novel way of getting around the packaging problems inherent with superchargers on transverse engines.

Other supercharger kits I've seen for sport compacts are more complicated, involved and compromised. Some include the replacement of the intake manifold, which doesn't help heat soak much, as all the heat generated by the supercharger screws go straight into the engine (big no-no on forced induction applications)... others are packed tightly on the accessory side... which limits compressor size...

Oh, now I remember why superchargers are popular on BMWs... it's because it's easy to install them as an extra accessory on the longitudinally mount engine.

On compact cars with FWD, space for extra accessories is scarce, while there's always space around the exhaust manifold to stick a nice fat juicy turbo on the engine.

Of course, the supercharger versus turbocharger debate has been going on for a very long time, and new technology is removing many of the inherent flaws in either design... Variable Geometry Turbos negate turbo lag... more efficient screw and compressor designs help eliminate heat in superchargers... etcetera...

In the end, it all depends on what you want... more power or more streetability. And with the newer and more advanced kits, you can often get both.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    more power and reliability is not an issue anymore, it will depend on how much fat is your wallet.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
    Most turbos have blow-off valves, either for gas or diesels. These are normally referred to as wastegates. Boost pressure is plumbed through a pilot line to the wastegate actuator. At a predtermined boost pressure, the actuator pushes a valve to dump exhaust gasses to the exhaust pipe, and bypass the turbine wheel. This limits turbo rpm and boost pressure, providing safe operation to the turbo, as well as the engine.
    eerrr... wastegate and blow-off valve are not the same...

Quote Originally Posted by Team-Integra.Net

Wastegate
    Most turbos for street use will have an integrated wastegate, an internal wastegate. This is the simplest wastegate to use, from an installation standpoint, since it is already attached to the turbo and requires a minimum of vacuum hoses to work. The drawback of the internal wastegate is that on occassion, it will not flow enough exhaust gas for "perfect" boost control. Higher-flow wastegates are available, the external wastegate. These allow for more precise boost control as well as flow capabilities for very high powered engines, with a drawback of more moving parts and more complex vacuum configuration.

Blowoff Valve
    An object in motion tends to stay in motion. That's the key principle behind having a blowoff valve in your turbo system. While not exactly necessary for a turbo system to work, a blowoff valve will help turbo boost response between shifts. For very high-powered vehicles, one blowoff valve may not be enough to vent excessive boost when the throttle is closed; in this case, it's perfectly acceptable to use several blowoff valves.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

I don't know about BMW's, but when I had an integra and was thinking of going FI, Greddy is who only makes CARB legal turbo's... Any other kit is not... But then the Greddy kit isn't worth it either, the flow is so limited that's why it lets you pass emissions, it even uses an internal wastegate... it doesn't even make stock integra's reach 200 whp * 8 psi...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by m_ron View Post
    supercharger are for wuss.IMO.
    IMO turbo systems are usually for street use. Most track "junkies" I've heard of went either NA or Supercharged... Theoretically, turbocharged vehicle will get less out of the power they make when you drive the twisties, where you either go on/off the throttle or when 90% of the time ~ throttle steering... With that said, in my opinion turbo's are more for drag racing and less for skilled driving...

9. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blink21me View Post
    IMO turbo systems are usually for street use. Most track "junkies" I've heard of went either NA or Supercharged... Theoretically, turbocharged vehicle will get less out of the power they make when you drive the twisties, where you either go on/off the throttle or when 90% of the time ~ throttle steering... With that said, in my opinion turbo's are more for drag racing and less for skilled driving...
    I guess WRC and D1 grand prix are not skilled driving.Like you said on your many post Tuning is the key to make power on all powerband.Heard of tip toe driving?

Regarding wastegate and blowoff you can also call it diverter valve

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikkomann View Post
    Good morning mga bossing.

Medyo interested po ako magpa-install ng turbo kit sa ginagamit kong sasakyan. Hindi po ako racer at hindi po ako adik sa sasakyan. Tamang gamit ko lang po sa araw-araw pamasok. Naisip ko lang palagyan kasi nababagalan ako kung minsan at nabibitin lalo na pag umo-overtake.

So ito po ang mga katanungan ko:
    1. Meron po bang turbo kit para sa Mitsubishi Lancer 1996 na all-stock?
    2. Kung magpapa-install ako ng turbo kit, anu-ano po ba exactly ang kailangan ko pang palitan na piyesa (air filter, racing cams, etc. if needed)?
    3. Magkano po ba ang bnew and surplus nito (or kung dapat ba bnew kunin ko or ok na yung surplus)?
    4. Saan po magandang bumili (cheap and reliable) at magpakabit nito?
    5. Ilang percent/gaano ka-significant yung added performance?
    6. Maintenance: mas mahirap/madami po ba?
    7. Most importantly, yung fuel consumption.

TIA. :cupid2:
    Try getting sending an email to RPW in Australia depending on what you want they can help you. The link is for their site and has the turbo system that works for your engine as a kit. They have basic mild non-intercooled kits and the wild stage 3 300hp kit also. If you want you can also learn some other ways to get the added power you want w/o a turbo.

http://www.rpw.com.au/Performance%20...er102turbo.htm

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Questions Regarding Turbo Kits