New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    how do you exactly stay off-boost?
    AFAIK if you keep your revs low lets say below 2.5K RPM - 3K RPM the turbo won't kick in.

1. Mas OK ba talaga na bumuo ako from scratch or bumili na lang ako ng OEM turbo engine (e.g. yung sa Evolution)? - in terms of quality, reliability and price.
    I'd say an OEM turbo engine would be a better option, don't know about the price but it will be more reliable.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    * kikkomann

yup ako yun. mga 110k++ inabot for the front cut, install and misc parts. pizza na pala yung sayo, mahal pa kasi choices ng engine pang pizza. 2G MIVEC nasa mga 60-70k ata, evo 4-6 mga 140-150k pa. wala pang install mga prices na yun.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Tama si ILD... just don't let the turbo spool up. It depends on the tuning of your turbo... on some kits, you don't get positive pressure right away, so driveability at low rpms is about the same... maybe a bit sluggish.

You could put a boost gauge in... just watch the little needle and learn what throttle inputs and engine speeds don't send the needle flying... ...in other words, to keep gas consumption the same, you should have a very, very light foot on the gas pedal.

60k + installation + tuning will still get you close to 100k. My clubmate got his kit secondhand for much lower than 60k..., but I think he's spending close to 90k na rin... and he still might need a new manifold... his current turbo manifold cracked from the heat (he was using header wrap on it... too bad).

Spending that full 150k assures you that you won't have any problems with the installation, as long as you aren't looking for mad horsepower numbers. If you're using a 1.6 liter engine, maybe 170hp is a good safe number for a "cheap" install. (Ironic, then, that this stuff ain't cheap!)

AT 110,000 kms... hmmm... set aside money for an overhaul? As long as it's not eating oil, it should still be okay.
    Last edited by niky; September 25th, 2006 at 03:28 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikkomann View Post
    *blink21mem edyo similar po kay ronald_m yung sinabi ninyo. When you say "healthy", ok na ba yung wala namang kalampag, alaga sa tune-ups and other periodic maintenance? Or meron pang napapaloob sa salitang "healthy" sa car domain na hindi ko alam? Hehehe. And about your statement sa maintenance: But if tuned right and naka-set in mind ang limitations, everything should be good, but not as good as if it was stock... - should I expect na medyo mas malala ang maintenance ng may turbo kesa sa stock; na mas prone ito sa problems?
    "Healthy", hindi mo yon basta-basta made-determine sa tunog lang... Kahit pa up to date yung maintenance mo, that's not an assurance na maganda yung condition ng engine mo... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the best way to know is to perform a compression and leakdown test... (search mo na lang kung ano yung purpose ng dalawa kung hndi mo pa alam...) When I said "if tuned right and kapag naka-set yung limitations", ibig ko sabihin na dapat yung magtu-tune ng kotse me eh alam yung ginagawa niya and may experience... Also, usually may manual boost controller ang mga turbo'ed which allows you to raise and lower the "boost" to a certain PSI... dapat alam mo kung ano yung limitations setup mo to safely run it, like, kung and engine mo eh hndi ni-re-built and hndi prepped para i-"FI", mababa lang dapat yung psi mo (I don't know what's safe for your stock car but it's usually 6-8 psi on Honda's)... Kapag napataas mo, masyadong risky para sa engine mo and pwede mangalas yan... . . . And yeah, mas-high maintenance and turbo... lalo na kapag hndi naka-tune ng maayos... Keep in mind na tuning plays a big part in maintenance, too...

Follow-up question as I've noticed sa iba replies:
    1. Mas OK ba talaga na bumuo ako from scratch or bumili na lang ako ng OEM turbo engine (e.g. yung sa Evolution)? - in terms of quality, reliability and price.
    Mas-ok definitely kung bubuo ka ng sarili mong kit IFF you know what you're doing and if you know where you're going ~sounds like you're not that type of enthusiast...

Kapag magbubuo ka ng sarili mong turbo kit, kelangan alam mo rin kung ano yung magandang quality na gawa ang mga materials... kapag relatively "so cheap" yung isang kit comopared to the other, look for differences, may mga kit diyan and turno manifold nagk-crack at naghihiwalay within a week or so...

Also, kapag bibili ka ng engine, kasama sa concern mo yung drive train, tranny, linkages, and such... You can't just buy an engine and expect na complete bolt-on yun sa kotse mo... Also, fitted ba yung engine ng Evo and other things sa kotse mo? Evo's an AWD...

2. Gaano ba kabusisi/ka-tedious ang overall installation ng turbo kits. May autoshop kasi kami and I will be going to Japan next month. What I am thinking is bilihin ko na yung ibang parts doon tapos ipapakabit ko na lang dito. Ang mahirap na part na lang siguro ay yung tuning na sinasabi (or pwede na rin bang kami ang gumawa nito?).

Again, maraming salamat po senyong lahat na mga gurus. Hehehe.
    Bolt-on turbo kits are easy to do, kung kaya mo magpalit ng header kaya mo ilagay yung bolt-on kit by yourself, except that it takes much more time... Sa tuning, you gotta have the knowledge, other than the software and such tools...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    bolt-on ang evo 4-6 sa pizza body ng lancer. you can just lock the tranny to FWD. mad wheelspin though :lol:

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I still remember the last time I saw one of those bad boys drag race... kawawa siya talaga sa Civic Sir na kalaban niya...

In one corner, 180-200 hp Civic... in the other 275+++ hp Lancer... both FWD... both on 15-inch mags with street tires... I think the Civic hit the 1/8th mile mark before the Lancer even found traction...

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I still remember the last time I saw one of those bad boys drag race... kawawa siya talaga sa Civic Sir na kalaban niya...

In one corner, 180-200 hp Civic... in the other 275+++ hp Lancer... both FWD... both on 15-inch mags with street tires... I think the Civic hit the 1/8th mile mark before the Lancer even found traction...
    ha! shows that FWD's need that much power... It's either the guy in the lancer didn't know how to launch, or he put allhis money to the engine and didn't throw a penny to any of the suspension components... There's a local here driving a built NA Integra GS-R pushing no more than 200 to the wheels... He hits high 11's to mid 12's...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I think it's a little of both. I've seen Evo-engined FWD Lancers at the track, and they didn't seem too unbalanced... but then again, you're not trying to do a drop-clutch burnout on track.

Probably, you'd have to launch at a very low rpm, letting it bog a little, or do a roll-on clutch-drop start so as not to overly stress the drivetrain...

Even though they're not the most balanced or useable of cars, I'm still itching to try one...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I think it's a little of both. I've seen Evo-engined FWD Lancers at the track, and they didn't seem too unbalanced... but then again, you're not trying to do a drop-clutch burnout on track.

Probably, you'd have to launch at a very low rpm, letting it bog a little, or do a roll-on clutch-drop start so as not to overly stress the drivetrain...

Even though they're not the most balanced or useable of cars, I'm still itching to try one...
    You also need gooey low profiles that have excellent traction. The drawback is that while they grip good, they also wear out faster because they're made of a softer rubber compound. Plan on spending $1k or a bit more for 4 tires every few months.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    low profiles aren't good at all for launching no matter how "gooey" they are... that's why "dragsters" are on fat slicks...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Questions Regarding Turbo Kits