New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    the old air-cooled beetle's jack appears to have its good points.
    the way it was designed for use, one simply inserts the jack's blade into the chassis jacking point that is so very accessible under the running board, then click-jack the car up.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles_on View Post

Ok, I know negligible naman yung weight & fuel savings if you put a bottle or alligator jack in your vehicle, pero ayaw ko ng sangkatutak na gamit sa sasakyan eh, so when necessity calls, eh ayun, tiis using what you have (kasalanan ko eh).
    i once bought a small alligator for the van.
    when it came to use.. flat tyre... i eagerly brought it out, thinking it would be an easy job to jack the van up...
    ... but with the flat tyre lowering the van, masyadong mataas ang jack! i could not put it under the jacking point.
    buti na lang, i still had the oem jack...
    ..."sino bang nalimutang grasahan 'tong scissors jack na ito..."
    huff.. puff..
    heh heh.
    Last edited by dr. d; December 29th, 2021 at 01:07 PM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles_on View Post
    Oo naman. I hate changing tires. Never mind the exertion involved, ang dumi dumi mo pa pagkatapos.
    Bwiset na mga scissors (diamond) jack na OEM for almost all cars and even SUVs.

Ok, I know negligible naman yung weight & fuel savings if you put a bottle or alligator jack in your vehicle, pero ayaw ko ng sangkatutak na gamit sa sasakyan eh, so when necessity calls, eh ayun, tiis using what you have (kasalanan ko eh).

bring a battery impact wrench. makes it easy to get the lug nuts off. also able to crank the scissor jack

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    bring a battery impact wrench. makes it easy to get the lug nuts off. also able to crank the scissor jack
    lug nuts?
    we have the un-dying breaker bar. it's two and a half to three feet long. dati siyang housing ng front end torsion suspension ng air-cooled beetle.
    Last edited by dr. d; December 29th, 2021 at 01:11 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    lug nuts?
    we have the un-dying breaker bar. it's two and a half to three feet long. dati siyang housing ng front end torsion suspension ng air-cooled beetle.
    Theres a better way to deal with flat tires, inflate it back with a portable inflator and drive it to the nearest vulcanising shop and pay for the labor to switch or vulcanise the tire for you.

Invest in a heavy duty 450psi tire inflator , especially if you fun going in long road trips.
    Last edited by glenn_duke; December 29th, 2021 at 01:20 PM.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    walangjo k_leos talaga binubusisi mo butas ng gulong.

pumunta ka servitek sa roosevelt from fisher mall mga 500meters or 1km sa left side. 150pesos patch for sedan. Yan na pinakamaayos na vulcanizing at mura magpresyo.

Sa iba 200 eh bangketa squatter ang kakapal ng mukha.

May iba maayos na store kaso feeling casa 300 to 350 singil

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn_duke View Post
    Theres a better way to deal with flat tires, inflate it back with a portable inflator and drive it to the nearest vulcanising shop and pay for the labor to switch or vulcanise the tire for you.

Invest in a heavy duty 450psi tire inflator , especially if you fun going in long road trips.
    yes, i do that, too. it's much easier to watch the tyre man do the grunting, than oneself.
    but only for as long as the bead hasn't separated yet,
    and the hole is not too large.
    Last edited by dr. d; December 29th, 2021 at 02:04 PM.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kagalingan View Post
    walangjo k_leos talaga binubusisi mo butas ng gulong.

pumunta ka servitek sa roosevelt from fisher mall mga 500meters or 1km sa left side. 150pesos patch for sedan. Yan na pinakamaayos na vulcanizing at mura magpresyo.

Sa iba 200 eh bangketa squatter ang kakapal ng mukha.

May iba maayos na store kaso feeling casa 300 to 350 singil
    the assumption is,
    one can still drive with that tire not getting damaged beyond usefulness.
    i do not care if the tyre man looks like carlos bronson, as long as he gets the job done right.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    My concern was due to reading this article specifically the paragraph:

https://www.topgear.com.ph/features/...a1219-20170528

"7. Avoid vulcanizing shops that use the sundot method. The traditional patching inside your tire lining is still the best way to seal a puncture. Some shops today offer a faster approach by inserting a seal with a sharp tool through the puncture from the outside without dismounting the tire from the rim. Though it may seem like a great convenience, it can actually damage the steel belt that keeps your tire's structure intact. I learned this the expensive way when I resorted to this method a few years ago. My tire was pretty new and two days after the job, there was a considerable bulge where the seal was. It was apparent that my tire needed a replacement. Sundot never again!"

I'd like to understand mechanically how the plug can damage the steel belt such that in 2 days, he already had bulge in the seal of his new tire.

This is part of a tire.

tire-parts.jpg

Now imagine you push a screw driver into the hole, would the belt and ply simply have clean holes or would the section of the belt and ply be pushed outward such that there is slight separation between the tread and belt/ply? If you have spare tire that you don't need anymore. Can you try pushing screw driver in a hole to see what would happen?

This was my tire with a hole punctured by a screw.

tire-screw.jpg

After the technician pulled out the screw, he inserted a screw driver all the way in (making bigger hole so the plug can fit).

tire-screw-driver.jpg

Then put the plug.

tire-plug-hole.jpg

I'd like to know what kind of pushing can really damage the steel belt as the above article detailed. Want to analyze why it happened to his belt such that after 2 days, meron na bulge. I'd still use the tire for the next 10 years (it's also somewhat new, look at the tread) because I seldom use the cars. Hence I need to know the details of how damage to steel belt can really occur from plugging repair. Salamat.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    pangit talaga tusok. Dati once natry ko yan curiosity. Yung gulong kasi dahan-dahan nawalan hangin so tolerable gamitin kahit weeks iniinflate ko na lang. Nung naisipan ko paayos eh tinary ko tusok ayun after 2days superflat gulong ko hahaha!!! Mas ok pa hindi ko na pinagalaw.

so puro patch na ako.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast