New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles_on View Post
    [Edit ko na lang...]

Not too familiar with `subies but marami here who will chip in. Hintay lang tayo for their input.

Teka... eh how much ba yung vulcanizing method you're comfortable with? Mahal na siguro ang P400 (may super generous tip na rin yun) I'm saying this because paano if mapako ka ulit, replace tires again? Wow!
    I asked around saan pinaka ok na vulganizing center. Sa kamuning daw. Dito ko pinagawa kasi ang laki place and hindi lang sa tabi tabi. 250 pesos bayad ko sa counter.

pirelli-service-center.jpg

Well. If na flat ulit ako. Saan ba pinaka best na vulganizing center sa buong metro manila? Gusto ko direct na sa the best. With automatic tire changing machine and uses combination patch/plug pa. I'm willing kahit to pay 800 pesos. Gusto ko ma visit one today para ma patch na. Pa grind ko loob without removing the existing rubber plug with pliers. Kasi if ma removed, malaki na hole and talaga pasok water that can rust the belts.
    Last edited by k_leos; December 30th, 2021 at 10:00 AM. Reason: to add "I'm willing kahit to pay 800 pesos."

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by k_leos View Post
    I asked around saan pinaka ok na vulganizing center. Sa kamuning daw. Dito ko pinagawa kasi ang laki place and hindi lang sa tabi tabi. 250 pesos bayad ko sa counter.

pirelli-service-center.jpg

Well. If na flat ulit ako. Saan ba pinaka best na vulganizing center sa buong metro manila? Gusto ko direct na sa the best. With automatic tire changing machine and uses combination patch/plug pa. Gusto ko ma visit one today para ma patch na. Pa grind ko loob without removing the existing rubber plug with pliers. Kasi if ma removed, malaki na hole and talaga pasok water that can rust the belts.
    so, is your tyre leaking?

sa dinami-dami nang tyre shops na nasubukan ko over the years,
    puro cold patch ang insist ko.
    wala naman akong di-kanais-nais na karanasan.
    even the roadway lean-to, with its all-manual methods, did a fine job.

only once did i ever get a pasak job, from servitek even,
    and it leaked.
    'swhy i never pasak'd again.

might i inquire,
    why did you get a pasak, and not the more popular cold patch?

3. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    so, is your tyre leaking?

sa dinami-dami nang tyre shops na nasubukan ko over the years,
    puro cold patch ang insist ko.
    wala naman akong di-kanais-nais na karanasan.
    even the roadway lean-to, with its all-manual methods, did a fine job.

only once did i ever get a pasak job, from servitek even,
    and it leaked.
    'swhy i never pasak'd again.

might i inquire,
    why did you get a pasak, and not the more popular cold patch?
    Days ago after na flat, I put temporary air with a pump then went to Kamuning to look for a vulganizing shop. I asked around in gas stations. And one pointed me to Perilli. The technician didn't offer me any choice. (wala sila patch method). Kala ko nga new method yung string rubber (because my old honda, lahat is patch work) . When he inserted the screw driver and I asked bakit nya pinalaki hole.. para daw ma kasya yun string rubber. 3 pa sila gumawa. Then one of them get a can of used engine oil, the other one gets a screw driver and tried to drop some oils into the hole para lubrication daw. Then na insert nya.

Now my worry is if the wheel spins fast, baka the centripetal force can dislodge the rubber plug?

Anyway. Kanina I called Tyreshark in Ortigas. They said if 6 years old na ang tired ay hindi na daw puwede i-patch, kasi if they will use the machine press to remove the rim, baka ma tear daw ang sidewall? How true?

So parang choice for me is to replace all tires. Is dunlop a good brand? It's the cheapest na 8900 pesos (3 + 1 free).

In the net, I read tires have expiration date which is 6 years after manufactured. It's like rubber band. When you stretch old rubber bands, meron na cracks because of natural degradation. Since 6 years now maybe dapat ma replace na all tires?

Kayo guys, how long tires nyo before palit nyo new? 10 years? 13 years?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Days ago after na flat, I put temporary air with a pump then went to Kamuning to look for a vulganizing shop. I asked around in gas stations. And one pointed me to Perilli. The technician didn't offer me any choice. (wala sila patch method). Kala ko nga new method yung string rubber (because my old honda, lahat is patch work) . When he inserted the screw driver and I asked bakit nya pinalaki hole.. para daw ma kasya yun string rubber. 3 pa sila gumawa. Then one of them get a can of used engine oil, the other one gets a screw driver and tried to drop some oils into the hole para lubrication daw. Then na insert nya.

Now my worry is if the wheel spins fast, baka the centripetal force can dislodge the rubber plug?

Anyway. Kanina I called Tyreshark in Ortigas. They said if 6 years old na ang tired ay hindi na daw puwede i-patch, kasi if they will use the machine press to remove the rim, baka ma tear daw ang sidewall? How true?

So parang choice for me is to replace all tires. Is dunlop a good brand? It's the cheapest na 8900 pesos (3 + 1 free).

In the net, I read tires have expiration date which is 6 years after manufactured. It's like rubber band. When you stretch old rubber bands, meron na cracks because of natural degradation. Since 6 years now maybe dapat ma replace na all tires?

some of my current innova tires came from the innova factory... installed onto the vehicle, 10 years ago. seldom-used kasi yung innova na 'yon.

my take, is that while we have only two seasons locally, hot and dry and hot and wet,
    in other countries, they have extremes of hot and very freezing cold. their tyres there are subjected to extremes of weather conditions.
    my guess is, tire companies have this type of challenging driving conditions, 'swhy they came up with 'stringent' tyre policy.

some years back,
    a popular international tyre manufacturer came up with an infomercial entitled, "tires are not bananas".
    it's still in google, po.
    read it and be informed. it's good for the wallet.
    heh heh.

if convenient enough,
    try west avenue in QC.
    there are some tyre shops there.
    Last edited by dr. d; December 30th, 2021 at 01:03 PM.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Attachment 40340

The Yokohama tire is from a Subaru Forester bought in 2015. It has a 255/60R17 written in the tire. Yesterday I saw the price of it is around 11,000 pesos. May alam kayo ng tire na ganyan na mura lang?
    9,000 bucks.
    lazada.
    DIY installation, of course.
    heh heh.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2012

More than the centripetal/centrifugal force of the tires spinning... it's more the constant deformation of the tire while it spins, lalo na kung medyo underinflated. Overinflation din since nandun naman ang pressure ng hangin na matutulak yung plug.

Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    some of my current innova tires came from the innova factory... installed onto the vehicle, 10 years ago. seldom-used kasi yung innova na 'yon.

my take, is that while we have only two seasons locally, hot and dry and hot and wet,
    in other countries, they have extremes of hot and very freezing cold. their tyres there are subjected to extremes of weather conditions.

some years back,
    a popular international tyre manufacturer came up with an infomercial entitled, "tires are not bananas".
    it's still in google, po.

read it and be informed. it's good for the wallet.
    heh heh.
    Eto ba, Doc?

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead000 View Post

Eto ba, Doc?

'yan nga!
    read the article, folks. it offers more info than the color poster here.

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    Lagi akong may reserbang mushroom patch pag na flat daan lang ako sa mga service center ng yokohama or bridgestone

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    when it comes to tire leak repair,
    i find that most of the time, the most difficult part is looking for the leak.
    over the decades, i could count with two hands, the number of times that the puncture presented itself to me.
    often, i had to have the tyre removed and placed in the magical tire leak finder-upper, aka, half-drum filled with water.
    hence my in-ability to relate to DIY.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    IMO plugs are more of a field repair thing. Usually mga off-roaders / overlanders gumagamit since they'd often have air compressors on their rigs, but it can be useful even for cars, especially the sporty ones that don't even carry a spare.

I think there's a picture somewhere of a Porsche that ****ed up his brake calipers because the owner fitted a spare that did not properly clear the brakes. Carrying a couple of plugs and a small air compressor could have gotten him back on the road with a lot less grief.

In a shop where the wheel can be properly dismounted I'd always choose a patch over a plug.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast