New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Water cannot exit the cylinder through the exhaust valve fast enough. And water can actually push the valve shut.

Due to the speed of the engine and general non-compressible state of water, the piston would feel like it just crashed into a concrete wall. Sort of like what happens when an airplane crashes at sea.
    now that makes more sense. thanks.

(now if someone can just explain to me paanong "tumutukod" ang piston kapag naputol ang timing belt. pero OT na hehehe thanks uli)

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth View Post
    now if someone can just explain to me paanong "tumutukod" ang piston kapag naputol ang timing belt
    OT answer: google ka ng "interference engine" ;)

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    hi otep. are you sure about this? di naman ako old wife ("old" lang hehe) pero ito na ang nakasanayan ko (worked for me in several experiences in college). high rev at timpla ng clutch para hindi mabarahan ang tambutso ng tubig. what's wrong with clutch driving in flood waters? ito din kasi ang turo ko sa driver ko.

but then again, nung dating binabaha ako nung college, sanay ako sa mga carburated na mga makina. di pa uso ang mga EFI nun kasi.
    I was under the same impression myself

We have a nissan sentra (AT) that waded the flood in traffic in DRIVE mode only (foot on the brake while the car moves slowly; cant rev high). Did not feel the engine stalling/choking unlike in our MT vehicles where you have to get ready to press the accelarator once you feel the engine is about to stall. I assumed that the ECU automatically adjusted the idling

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks. i assumed exhaust stroke kasi sabi niya burnt gasoline

Sorry medyo malabo o malabo talaga, I was at work, talagang nakakaistorbo ang trabaho sa tsikot :D I'm sure the guys have explained it more accurately. Back to the flooded streets of Metro Manila :D

5. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo View Post
    I was under the same impression myself

We have a nissan sentra (AT) that waded the flood in traffic in DRIVE mode only (foot on the brake while the car moves slowly; cant rev high). Did not feel the engine stalling/choking unlike in our MT vehicles where you have to get ready to press the accelarator once you feel the engine is about to stall. I assumed that the ECU automatically adjusted the idling
    What's the right way of crossing a flooded street kung AT ang car?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by garci View Post
    What's the right way of crossing a flooded street kung AT ang car?
    First off, know what the lowest point of water entry is. Usually, this is thru the top hole of the dipstick or through the transmission breather (basically a metal or rubber hose that sticks out of the transmission). On a Nissan Sentra, the breather extends up to the engine compartment so its a non-issue. On some vehicles, it's nothing more than a straw sticking out of the transmission body.

As with any transmission type, maintain a slow and steady speed when crossing. Avoid a very tall 'bow wave' or water crest in front of the vehicle.

Do not stop midstream.

Avoid crossing water by driving 'upstream' (driving the opposite direction the water is going) to it. It's easier to drive 'downstream' or just perpendicular (across) to the flow.

Use the lowest available gear.

Dry brakes upon reaching other end by lightly stepping on brake pedal with left foot as you drive along.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If possible use the lowest gear. Do not step on the clutch. Do not rev too much, keep it between1,000-1,300 rpm, drive slow and as long as you are moving forward you're ok. High reving, especially on an engine mounted fan, would just scoop water into the engine bay spraying water into your distributor, coils and sparkplugs. An indication that that water is more than half a tire deep is the absence of a "thug, thug" sound in your flooring. It means the water has reached the underside of your car. Best to let a car pass and see how deep the water is. If in doubt, don't. My truck can ford waist deep water but unless it is really necessary I would think twice, coz taking out the carpet could be a real pain in the back. :D

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by afrasay View Post
    If possible use the lowest gear. Do not step on the clutch. Do not rev too much, keep it between1,000-1,300 rpm, drive slow and as long as you are moving forward you're ok. High reving, especially on an engine mounted fan, would just scoop water into the engine bay spraying water into your distributor, coils and sparkplugs. An indication that that water is more than half a tire deep is the absence of a "thug, thug" sound in your flooring. It means the water has reached the underside of your car. Best to let a car pass and see how deep the water is. If in doubt, don't. My truck can ford waist deep water but unless it is really necessary I would think twice, coz taking out the carpet could be a real pain in the back. :D
    -->>Ahh! thats why my dad long ago was too sLow when crossing a flooded street when i was little. even though the flood is just half-tire deep, ang bagal nya tumakbo,,heheh,,another knowledge learned.
    di naman often na ngayayari yung katulad kay lady_guinevere pics Righhht??,, just a thought, can i seal the ECU,dipstick,hole in the transmision,etc and extended them to an higher location? plus improvise a hidden safari snorkel during rainy seasons?? hehe just a thought,feasible??

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You cannot seal the ECU. The best you could do is know where it is located so you know how deep you can go.

On a Nissan Sentra the ECU sits on the hump on the floor before the center console so you'd need to have water up the handbrakes to fry it. On a gas-powered Pajero, the ECU is on behind the glovebox (high and dry), on most Isuzus the ECU is in the engine compartment (be careful), on a Fortuner it is under the driver's seat.

The dipstick is reasonably sealed (check if your dipstick has a gasket). And more often than not, the dipstick opening is about the level of the tires already. The breather can be extended using rubber hoses. Off-roaders have been doing it for years. For a manual transmission with the shifter directly entering the transmission body, there is really no practical way to seal that entry point.

Stock air intake systems will have safeguards against water ingestion. Just know where the intake draws air from (some draw beside the headlight, in the wheelwell, from the bumper etc.). At least you'll have an idea how deep the vehicle can go.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    ano meron ba mga nabaha.

wag iistart sasakyan.

ipatow papunta trusted talyer

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Baha--knee Deep