New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    The Strada uses a conventional 4wd system designed for use on surfaces with adequate slippage (loose surfaces, mud, slippery surfaces). Otherwise, 'binding' will occur and can damage the drivetrain.

The Montero Sport uses the Super Select system and can operate on paved roads in 4H because it has a viscous center differential to eliminate binding on dry surfaces.

Lock the center differential and it operates no differently from a conventional 4wd system.
    Amen on this.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Don't know of it's placebo as mentioned. But at the time it was raining continuously then, so the ground was wet. At higher speeds, while at 2H, I felt less in control of the fronts than I would've wanted. As if they were going to slide out upon turning due to the slippery road, which I suppose is the understeer mentioned. Upon shifting to 4H, it stuck to the road like glue, ran exactly the way I wanted, and cornered exactly where I wanted it to turn in without any drama.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    GTi, when in 4H, power is delivered to the front wheels to assist with traction on wet or slippery roads. This would explain the difference you felt.
    Last edited by Monty; January 21st, 2015 at 05:54 PM.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Hmm i didn't know pwede pala sa wet pavement yung 4H ng strada. I thought sa gravel and mud lang. You learn something new everyday! Thanks sirs.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by playplugg View Post
    Sir niky & Sir LN106G,

Applicable lang po ito sa Part time 4wd? or even sa mga full time 4wd? sa super select po, pwede sa 2H at 4H, in dry road condition. (yun po ang nakalagay sa manual even dun sa sticker na nakadikit po sa gilid ng pinto sa driver seat)

Since under-used po yung sasakyan namin, minsan ginagamit ko po yung 4H, sa dry pavement para ma-lubricate yung gear sa transfer case, (80 KPH Max) then sa wet road condition naman, nasa 120KPH, in a short period of time. (5mins)
    As mentioned above sir nakakasira daw ng gulong at drivetrain yang ganyan. Sa amin naman, ginagawa ko ineengage ko sometimes yung 4H or 4L dun sa part ng office parking namin na may gravel. Malapit na distance nga lang pero at least nagagamit yung 4X4... Hehehe..

5. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit1976 View Post
    As mentioned above sir nakakasira daw ng gulong at drivetrain yang ganyan. Sa amin naman, ginagawa ko ineengage ko sometimes yung 4H or 4L dun sa part ng office parking namin na may gravel. Malapit na distance nga lang pero at least nagagamit yung 4X4... Hehehe..
    Sir Gambit1976,

Ok naman po i-engaged yung 4H sa easy select, as long as po na wet road condition/gravel condition, pero pag dating sa 4LLc. extreme road condition katulad po sa mud/rocky road.

BTW:

Sirs, ask ko na rin po? during towing condition? lalo sa 4wd system, kailangan po ba naka-activate sa 4H? or nasa 2H mode pa rin?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Keep in Mind that super select is essentially a fulltime 4wd with a 2wd mode. The unlocked center diff allows it to operate on high traction surfaces (pavement)

Easy select, on the other hand, is a conventional direct drive system with no center differential. Hence it should not be operated on high traction surfaces. Binding will occur if it is operated on high traction surfaces.

The claim to fame of easy select is the ability to shift into 4H at reasonable speeds without having to be at a complete stop. But its still a conventional system in terms of power delivery and drive characteristics.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Hmm ganun pala yun.. Thanks for the info sirs playplugg and otep!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123