New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by moneywhiz
    i just got here in NY last week....to permanently migrate is what i have in mind.....i just got married last february and im hoping that my wife and I could have a secure life here in the US. im planning to work and to study MBA part time here in NY....

the reason i left the philippines and is thinking of migrating here is not becoz of financial difficulties.....in fact, mayaman ang mga magulang ko and my siblings and I could live a good life in manila even without working for the rest of our lives.....may mga small business akong iiwanan sa manila...

i have been to almost every country in the world......europe, asia and north america napuntahan ko na...i noticed that i get attracted to countries where the politicians are doing everything they can to make a difference in the life of their fellow countrymen......ganyan dito sa US, pati sa Japan, korea and most western europe countries...mahal ng mga politiko ang mga kababayan nila at di sila kakandidato para makapag-nakaw ng pera hindi gaya sa atin sa pilipinas......

sabi ng isang barkada ko, forever empleyado daw ako dito at 2nd class citizen lang.....gago daw ako for leaving Manila.....well, it just so happens that im not happy in the philippines anymore and all I am asking is from people who know me is to respect my decision to migrate and just be supportive and happy for me....

im hoping to be able to migrate here but deep inside, i will always be filipino no matter what
    Welcome to NYC bro..it's gonna be a totally new experience, but sabi nga nila "If you can make it here, You can make it anywhere "

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Nice thread. Mga 7 years na ako dito sa US. Swerte lang kami ng asawa ko at nasa healthcare kami kaya madali ang transition, at magaganda ang opportunities. I believe that most,if not all, filipinos will find it easy to adopt another country's culture. Kahit yata sa Siberia may noypi. Kung sa regrets, wala naman. Kung pwede lang e taon taon uuwi kami kaso hindi ganon kadali. Iba pa rin ang sarili mong bansa, yun nga lang e mahirap talaga ang buhay diyan sa pinas. Tungkol sa mga ibang responses regarding sa politika, pare-pareho lang naman sila e. May corrupt din dito, ang kaibahan lang e "american accent" sila. Binubulsa din ng iba ang pera ng bayan. Kahit sabihin nilang maging US citizen man ako, pag humarap ako sa salamin, isang pilipino pa rin ang nakikita ko.
    SA mga gustong mag-migrate, kung wala kayo sa heathcare o kaya mga in-demand na trabaho dito sa US, be ready to swallow your pride. Bababa ang position nyo but if you do the right thing aangat pa rin kayo. Kung nursing, therapy, etc ang linya nyo, magsipag lang kayo at makakabili kayo kahit dalawa o tatlong bahay pa ang gusto nyo.
    Good Luck to those who want to migrate, and kudos to those who want to be left behind and make a difference!

3. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Good luck sa inyo who wants to migrate. I've been here sa state since '89 ...sa una lang mahirap lalo na sa mga barkada.....there was a time i worked three jobs ..pag masipag ka you'll be ok...i was able to retire 2004 at the age of 36 because of real estate. i used to be a controller for hotel. there is so much opportunity here...but i see to it every year i go HOME

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    ask ko lang sa mga nag migrate na, when time comes na matanda na kau, where do you want to spend the rest of your life, uuwi ba kau ng pinas or stay where you are now?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JUBAD
    Good luck sa inyo who wants to migrate. I've been here sa state since '89 ...sa una lang mahirap lalo na sa mga barkada.....there was a time i worked three jobs ..pag masipag ka you'll be ok...i was able to retire 2004 at the age of 36 because of real estate. i used to be a controller for hotel. there is so much opportunity here...but i see to it every year i go HOME
    wow 36 years old! dream come true.

6. Join Date
    May 2004
    sir jubad, bilib naman talaga ako sayo. retire at age 36!. sabi na nga ba mali ang pinasukan kong trabaho eh.

lapit na kong bumalik...hindi ko na hihintaying tumanda ako. hehe

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i guess i don't count because i am from the US (born/raised). but my parents migrated here before i was born, intending to get the education, training, and savings for a career in consulting (mom) and set up a business (dad). they always intended to go back home, and unlike many pinoys who have the same plans but never leave, they actually did go back home and are doing quite well over there.

after living with them over there for awhile, i did "migrate" back to the US after i got married - partly because i liked the opportunities here better, but mainly because i feel like my home is here....even though much of the rest of the world seems against us sometimes. i wouldn't say my family is 'mayaman' over there, but i had plenty of opportunities if i stayed in the philippines....talagang mas at home lang talaga ako dito.

what advice would i have for pinoys looking to migrate?

learn to be tolerant and accepting of other cultures and points of view, particularly if you move to a melting pot country like the US or Canada. minsan nakakagulat yung pag-iisip at values ng iyong new country, and you must learn to adapt and be open-minded.

it's hard but practice self-control. in developed countries with high standards of living and easy credit, it's very easy to go crazy and ruin your life with debt. i love the guys who come here, move in with 4 roommates in a small apartment, and buy a new E46 M3. on the flip side, if you are fiscally responsible, hardworking, and a little lucky you can retire young and wealthy like that dude in the above post

learn to live 100% independently. we pinoys are an interdependent culture, and it's easy to lean on parents, family, and close friends. but life changes fast, friends and family are not as reliable as you might think, and they may let you down when you need them most. make sure you never rely on anyone to do you favors, even for smaller things like watching the baby while you're at work

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Sirs na nagmigrate out of Philippines where do u plan to go when u retire? i.e. when society deems u useless? Kc ung isa kong tito na nagwowork abroad matulungin sa amin sabi ng nanay ko pagnagretire raw sya kami na raw bahala sa kanya. Ung isang tita naman ng asawa ng friend ko malapit na magretire ang bait nya sa friend ko kc walang pamilya sa abroad ang balak raw ng tita nya sa kanila magretire kaya lahat ng luho ng friend k binibigay nya.
    Yan kc ung isang main factor ko sa desisyon ko not to migrate. Abroad a lot of opportunities but u need to work it out. but what after retirement? sa home for the aged? nakakaiyak ata un after mo maging useful sa country na pinagsilbihan mo eh basta ka na lang itapon ng anak mo sa institution to be cared for by young people who migrated there for a better life.
    Tama ba yung mga sinabi ko? Di ko din sure eh pero takot ako na after ko iprioritize ibang tao eh baka ganun gawin sa akin pagtanda ko... Unlike here. Kahit mga magulang ko kaya panay tulong nila sa amin magkakapatid may ineexpek din sila. kaya din ako nagpupursige sa trabaho para may maibigay sa kanila. parang neverending tug of war ba.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Imau
    ditto! I'm still hoping pa din na someday this country will be great again. I'm not earning that much but I'm currently happy with what I have right now. I still drive a beat up corolla and have a meager cash in the bank, but I don't care, as long as I'm happy and thankful for what I have. I guess it all boils down to contentment with what you have wherever you may be.
    contentment. you said the right word bro. dito naman sa Pilipinas madali din naman mabuhay kung simple lang

for example:

* upgrade your cellphone in 3 year (not month!) intervals. KISS -> call & text & shoot.

* buy only a new car after 7 years or so, dont drive aggressively para hindi mag depreciate kagad parts and, avoid rush hour as possibly as you can.

* dont drink coffee worth > P100 everyday

* fine dining/leisure/travelling/alcohol intake must be done only in groups (tipid chip in technique)

* invest on home theatre cinema and internet access * home for entertainment. home library also recommended.

* keep body physically fit all of the time (like regular gym, badminton, etc). if fit no tendency to overeat, less food/beverage/sweets, less cravings/consumption/expenses. less consumption -> less trips to the doctor

* mind your own business. avoid things that dont really concern you or that takes away a lot of your productivity or leisure time - like political issues and the like. but remain vigilant. read, learn, accept but dont judge. the moment you judge then you're involved to very end, at least emotionally.

* and best of thing of all, avoid the bandwagon effect at all cost. (like trends, seasonal fashion, new technology, new cars, signature brands etc.)

if above followed religiously, imagine the savings!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    when i get hold of just enough money to retire..i would definitely go back to the philippines and live in a beach and have a small business sa water sports.

ive always wanted to have a farm when i was a kid...we almost bought a coffee farm in zamboanga but the peace and order situation kept us from closing the deal...that would've sealed my dream life =)

hanggang ngayon..ganun parin pangarap ko. retire sa beach or farm sa PINAS.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Thinking of migrating?  or already a migrant?