New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ruel23
    ask ko lang sa mga nag migrate na, when time comes na matanda na kau, where do you want to spend the rest of your life, uuwi ba kau ng pinas or stay where you are now?
    for me, sa pinas ko parin gusto magretire. dito kasi baka idala ka lang nga mga anak mo sa care homes e, like what they usually do....mahal rin naman mag hire ng maid dito, at least sa pinas, you can hire a maid or whatever dba, and the cost of living is much cheaper, but make sure bago umuwi ng pinas may ipon ka na

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Going to the US was an option for me when I was a bachelor, and later on, when we were newlyweds. I've got my US Passport, a house waiting there, and a degree that guarantees employment. But now that I've got a daughter, I don't think we're leaving any time soon.

The US is a land of opportunity, yes, but we don't want our daughter to lose her roots. Family values are very important to us, as well as ethical and social values. Not a problem, later on, once she's graduated... but I want her to see things from both sides of the track... something she won't get in the US.

I'm dismayed by how some US kids (and even adults) seem to be ignorant of social issues in the world at large. For them, poverty is the product of laziness (I've seen that opined here too...) and they can't imagine any other way but "the American way". The US is a very individualistic culture, more focused on independence and self-interests than the Philippines is. In extreme cases (read: neo-cons) this translates into an arrogance about the way of the world... i.e.: if the US does it, everyone should. They don't realize how poor the rest of the world is, what little opportunities people without education, land or money really have, and how lucky they are.

I want my daughter to know exactly how lucky she is.

I won't lie. Part of why I'm staying here is the "comfort zone". Simply, I have enough money here to provide a decent life, housing and medical care for my family, and a good education for my daughter. Over there, she'd be over a hundred thousand dollars in debt before she finished college. Not to mention the fact that retirees are finding now that their pension funds and social security benefits mean squat in the face of rising costs... and they don't have an extended family to fall back on. I've got relatives who are moving back here after retirement because they simply can't afford to live there anymore.

On that note, I'd rather live in Canada... great social services...

What's the difference between Philippine education and US education anyways? Those annual reports comparing schools and universities automatically handicap Philippine schools in two ways: faculty salaries, which is taken as a measure of how good the faculty are... which is bullsh*t when comparing us to other countries because our cost-of-living and payscale are both so low... and graduate employment, which isn't a good indicator of student competency... it just means our job market doesn't match our graduates very well (simply put, lots of available jobs, but in the wrong professions)... our graduates actually do well in the US, and some top US board exams and land high level jobs in their chosen fields.

I'm not against migration. In fact, I would encourage my daughter to go once she graduates. But for me, once you've made your nest egg, come back to the Philippines to serve. Teach others the skills and knowledge you've acquired over there, set up a business (employment opportunites), or do something equally productive... we don't need your dollars as a straight cash donation, we need you, personally.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue
    contentment. you said the right word bro. dito naman sa Pilipinas madali din naman mabuhay kung simple lang

for example:

* upgrade your cellphone in 3 year (not month!) intervals. KISS -> call & text & shoot.

* buy only a new car after 7 years or so, dont drive aggressively para hindi mag depreciate kagad parts and, avoid rush hour as possibly as you can.

* dont drink coffee worth > P100 everyday

* fine dining/leisure/travelling/alcohol intake must be done only in groups (tipid chip in technique)

* invest on home theatre cinema and internet access * home for entertainment. home library also recommended.

* keep body physically fit all of the time (like regular gym, badminton, etc). if fit no tendency to overeat, less food/beverage/sweets, less cravings/consumption/expenses. less consumption -> less trips to the doctor

* mind your own business. avoid things that dont really concern you or that takes away a lot of your productivity or leisure time - like political issues and the like. but remain vigilant. read, learn, accept but dont judge. the moment you judge then you're involved to very end, at least emotionally.

* and best of thing of all, avoid the bandwagon effect at all cost. (like trends, seasonal fashion, new technology, new cars, signature brands etc.)

if above followed religiously, imagine the savings!
    Not everyone can afford this.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennSter
    when i get hold of just enough money to retire..i would definitely go back to the philippines and live in a beach and have a small business sa water sports.

ive always wanted to have a farm when i was a kid...we almost bought a coffee farm in zamboanga but the peace and order situation kept us from closing the deal...that would've sealed my dream life =)

hanggang ngayon..ganun parin pangarap ko. retire sa beach or farm sa PINAS.
    sabi ng iba those who want to retire to the beach can never really stay long sa beach. bec. people who have those dreams like living on the edge.
    risk is what fuels/drives 'em daw. so babalik at babalik pa din sa competitive & fast way of life.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I have been living here in sydney for four years na, and i am already a citizen. I never really regret migrating here kasi otherwise baka hanggang ngayon umaasa pa rin ako sa parents ko. In a way it teach me how to be independent and to raise a family on your own. Sa umpisa yeah mahirap for me dahil I left my girlfriend back in Phils. But after 8 mos nakasunod na rin siya and we already got a 15 mos. old son. so concentration namin ngayon nasa baby at makaipon pambili ng bahay.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sabi ng iba those who want to retire to the beach can never really stay long sa beach. bec. people who have those dreams like living on the edge.
    risk is what fuels/drives 'em daw. so babalik at babalik pa din sa competitive & fast way of life.

not me=)

i dont wanna "live" as in mabuhay na maghanap buhay pa...relax relax nalang.kaya nga retire eh..hheerherh

7. FrankDrebin Guest
    contentment. you said the right word bro. dito naman sa Pilipinas madali din naman mabuhay kung simple lang
    for example:

* upgrade your cellphone in 3 year (not month!) intervals. KISS -> call & text & shoot.
    A lot of peeps don't change their cellphone everyyear or every three years and yet they still make it big.

* buy only a new car after 7 years or so, dont drive aggressively para hindi mag depreciate kagad parts and, avoid rush hour as possibly as you can.
    A lot of peeps don't change their cars everyyear or every seven years and yet they still make it big.

* dont drink coffee worth > P100 everyday
    A lot of peeps don't drink a Php100 coffee everyday and yet they still make it big.

* fine dining/leisure/travelling/alcohol intake must be done only in groups (tipid chip in technique)
    A lot of peeps don't dine/leisure/travel/drink alcohol yet they still make it big.

* invest on home theatre cinema and internet access * home for entertainment. home library also recommended.
    A lot of peeps don't buy the latest home theater system and yet they still make it big.

* keep body physically fit all of the time (like regular gym, badminton, etc). if fit no tendency to overeat, less food/beverage/sweets, less cravings/consumption/expenses. less consumption -> less trips to the doctor
    A lot of peeps don't regularly goes to the gym and yet they are healthy

* mind your own business. avoid things that dont really concern you or that takes away a lot of your productivity or leisure time - like political issues and the like. but remain vigilant. read, learn, accept but dont judge. the moment you judge then you're involved to very end, at least emotionally.
    A lot of people does that.

* and best of thing of all, avoid the bandwagon effect at all cost. (like trends, seasonal fashion, new technology, new cars, signature brands etc.)
    A lot of people really does that.

if above followed religiously, imagine the savings!
    A lot of people really, really does that.

Simple Life, Simple Problem. ;)

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Thinking of migrating - yes!
    Already a migrant - yes!

We migrated to New Zealand for the main reason of a comfortable life. I was young and had little effect on the family decision for moving here. Been here 16 years and only saw Manila last was 1994. We lived in Tondo which is not that bad. But then again its not getting better. Yes I regret going due to friends and family. But after years goes, most friends and other relatives seems to have the same way of thinking.

There are better offers oversea in terms of lifestyle and job opportunities. All depend how to make better of your self. People are dreamer and other hates changes. I always thought that it would be difficult to jump in a foreign pond. And I thought right. Lots of us has difficulties of migrating, but always comes down to how far you would go to get what you want. Your own comfort zone doesnt improve you. So I told my self to keep on the outside of that zone. New experience, more challanges, new place and more things to learn always keeps me satisfied. At the moment its getting to the point when also New Zealand can not offer what I want.

Unfortunately money is a necessity to everybody, we work twice as hard where every you go. LUXURY is something that I CAN NOT AFFORD. Practicallity is always a good strategy.

If you work for money it will never be enough. If you work for your dream ..................................
    (fill in the blanks)

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Retirement
    Ideally would like to in Bora-Bora. Nice place!

BUT theres more things to do than retire.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    after 5yrs of living/working here in AU....i finally decided to come back maybe early next year...iba pa din sa Pilipinas...

kung mayaman lang ako..i wont think about migrating sa ibang country..id better stay in PH, be with my family and friends.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Thinking of migrating?  or already a migrant?