New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    It happens anywhere. Moreso perhaps in places with huge income inequality such as the Philippines.

It's naive to think that in places such as malls or other establishments that are after a sale, people will give equal attention to the guy who looks like a squatter and the guy who looks like he can actually afford to buy.

However, salesmen should learn to recognize that a lot of rich people often aren't flaunty with what they where, yet for some reason one can still distinguish that they're well-off compared to an actual pauper wearing the same kind of attire (say, shirt and shorts with sneakers). It's in the way they carry themselves, the way they talk, and of course the way they look.

Fair-skinned folks have a huge advantage in perception over those who are kayumanggi. That won't go away soon. Also those with smooth complexion - even if they aren't mestizo, they still set themselves apart from your kanto tambay. On the flipside, some people (social climbers) often overdo it and it's noticeable too.

Ganun talaga, so best to always dress appropriately.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App
    Last edited by jut703; October 29th, 2014 at 02:28 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    It happens anywhere. Moreso perhaps in places with huge income inequality such as the Philippines.
    Yes I agree. But I was appalled to witness such blatant display of discrimination in a professional setting

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    my mother and I were shopping once for her macbook pro as her birthday gift. I went in first to the shop while she bought stuff at the pharmacy. the store clerks were looking weird at me, probably because they think I'm the "probinsyano/holdaper" type of guy and thought I couldn't afford one. They couldn't say it outright but I could tell they wanted me to leave. LOL
    Last edited by safeorigin; October 29th, 2014 at 02:46 PM.
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It's alive and kicking.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    who hasn't?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Reminds me of an incident at the Manila Polo Club a few years back. There is this club member, meno, di gwapo, oily skin, may butas mukha. He is fond of wearing white roudneck t-shirts, kadalasan yungbigay lang ng suppliers. Once, umupo sa Sports lounge parang kumain. Nilapitan nung waiter at sinabihan "excuse me po, bawal po driver dito" :-0

7. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    common na yan among pinoys, dito lang sa forum mamatahin ka dahil probinsiyano ka. sa mga construction companies naman sa mideast, yung kategorya ng manpower ay between Expats and TCN's o third country national

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bloowolf View Post
    Reminds me of an incident at the Manila Polo Club a few years back. There is this club member, meno, di gwapo, oily skin, may butas mukha. He is fond of wearing white roudneck t-shirts, kadalasan yungbigay lang ng suppliers. Once, umupo sa Sports lounge parang kumain. Nilapitan nung waiter at sinabihan "excuse me po, bawal po driver dito" :-0
    Naisip ko lang, in cases like these, eh mukha naman talaga siyang driver, so the waiter couldn't have been able to tell that he was a millionaire.

He was probably just carrying out his directive to keep the place exclusive to guests. The guy looks like a driver so he assumed he was a driver.

Money doesn't automatically improve your image unless you spend on yourself. If they don't care about image then they shouldn't get offended when people mistake them for drivers.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Ganun pag biglang yaman. Pag sanay sa pera, marunong mag bihis. Yung iba, over naman magpakita ng yaman.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    If they don't care about image then they shouldn't get offended when people mistake them for drivers.

+1. It is also considered impolite to not dress appropriately. One of my pet peeves are people who do not follow the dress code.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Is Class Discrimination Common Among Filipinos?