New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Class discrimination happens in all societies but is it more pronounced among us Filipinos? I see it happen all the time: Luxury/Sports car parking anywhere and getting away with it and security guards judging people based on their looks as an example.

I just witnessed what I felt was outright discrimination in an office where people who were not well dressed were spoken to in Tagalog in a clearly condescending manner. But when it's a well dressed person they are polite and speak in English. What the hell??? It just made me cringe how the others were spoken to as if the officers has no respect for them

It's really sad how people are judged based on how they look, what they drive or how much money they have in the bank. Have you witnessed class discrimination?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I don't know if it's class discrimination or profiling.

Like it or not, Pinoys are predisposed to judging people by how they look (i.e. what they wear, what cellphones or cars they use, etc.) and react or act toward them accordingly. It's no different in other societies. Mas pronounced pa nga.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    lots of times and we were once a victim of it.

Several years back, wifey and myself went to the Designer's Lane in Alabang Town Center because she has to buy daw a leather conditioner for her Coach bag that I have given her as a gift when i was in the States. Wifey was wearing shorts and sandals and I was wearing a plain shirt, cargo shorts and slippers and looking madungis (we just came in from a badminton game and did not shower after the game). When wifey approached a sales lady looking for a leather conditioner, she got a stare from the sales lady and asked her if she "owns" a coach bag for the product that she is looking for is specifically made for that brand of bag.

Dunno bakit napikon si wifey that time and she did not buy...

The following day, me and wifey came back from the same store. Wifey was wearing a business suit that time because she came in from a conference, while i was wearing my usual barongs because i came in from the office. The same sales lady approached us and immediately made some sales talk... Wifey mentioned that she was the one from the previous day who was looking for a leather conditioner... I've noticed that the sales lady was very helpful and even made some sales pitches kay wifey to try the other products.

Even sa Globe Sales office sa ATC is not that warm and helpful kung medyo di maayos ang suot mo (specially if you are just plain looking as us)...

In the States around 18 years ago.... I disembarked in Minneapolis airport once... Normally, I usually use LAX or SFO on my way to Minneapolis (i used to work there and go home every 10 months). Even though complete papers ako (and my working visa), the Immigration officer held me up for an hour without reason its because I look like a Filipino.. When I've talked about this to my boss, he mentioned that Immigration officers in Minneapolis are not used to seeing Filipinos using this gateway. I dunno if this has changed though now.
    Last edited by 1D4LV; October 29th, 2014 at 01:21 PM.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    dyan lang sa rustan's ATC, kung naka slippers at shorts ka lang at medyo luma na yung shirt mo, parang ayaw ka pang papasukin nung sikyu na naka-pamburol........

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Altis6453 View Post
    .... or profiling.
    I would always notice this in malls. Those sales people handing out condo leaflets are one good example.

Along Daan Hari going to Alabang, one can see the "new" subdivisions of Manny Villar. Pag Vios ang dala ko, the sales agents along the side of the road do not wave their flyers. Pero pag Mercedes dala ko, kumakaway lahat ...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm surprised that store clerks in ATC still not used to seeing mall goers dressed in "pambahay", dressed down mga Tao sa south when going to malls compared sa mga Tao sa malls sa civilization.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    I'm surprised that store clerks in ATC still not used to seeing mall goers dressed in "pambahay", dressed down mga Tao sa south when going to malls compared sa mga Tao sa malls sa civilization.

ang napapansin ko lang shadow sa ATC, pag mestizo/mestiza, & rich looking guys, kahit nakapambahay at slippers......walang pagdududa ang sikyo
    Last edited by chua_riwap; October 29th, 2014 at 01:44 PM.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post

sir baka naman dressed down, pero lacoste yung t-shirt, Hermes yung tsinelas, etc. :D

i've never been outside of PH except Hong Kong, but i'm pretty sure that this goes on elsewhere, although maybe in varying degrees. i think our being 3rd world sorta magnifies this a bit. Wala tayong magagawa, where money is scarce, people tend to value it more. Pero mas matindi ata sa ibang lugar, e.g. India where the caste system is still strong; i think they see the lower caste as little different from slaves.

Mas takot siguro sa lawsuit sa US kaya mas PC ang approach nila; how can you not be worried about lawsuits, in a country where a robber can sue the homeowner for being injured, where a drive-through customer can sue McDonald's for getting burned by coffee, cause she placed it in her crotch while in the car? ^_^

Kwento ng uncle ko, back in the 80's, ganun ang ugali ng saleslady sa HK; they'll bad mouth or curse you in Cantonese. After hearing this, my uncle pulled out a wad of cash, counted it in front of them, sabay labas ng store :D i'm told that it's gotten better now, probably because the mainlanders are the big spenders now, and they don't always dress sosyal.
    Last edited by badkuk; October 29th, 2014 at 01:53 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I have a friend that was discriminated on while she was looking at watches. I forgot the name of the store but she asked the sales lady for the price of watch and the sales lady answered "mahal yan" or something to that effect :bwahaha: I don't know why she reacted that way when my friend has porcelain white skin, perfect teeth, speaks and dresses well

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I guess it depends on the establishment. Pumasok ako sa rolex store and florsheim na naka shorts, ordinary t-shirt and rubber shoes inentertain naman ako. Some maybe "owned" by really snooty people (langaw sa kalabaw, you know the type), and some are manned by people with x-ray vision who can see thru the clothes you wear and see your wallet the moment you come up the escalator.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
Is Class Discrimination Common Among Filipinos?