New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thephantom View Post
    I find her cute. Mariko-sama. You still have the books? I kept mine. I know there are still betamax or VHS tapes of Noble House as I recorded them when they were on locally. I eventually downloaded the mini series in my drive though.

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    Nope. I think she took those books back. [emoji28]

Sent from my RMX3690 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

2. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    My wife liked Shogun, a book she borrowed, that she bought one for herself, only for us to throw it away much later to declutter. Yesterday, we started ep 1 of the 2024 remake and in a few minutes she turned to her phone saying it's not what she read and so she's not interested to watch anymore, though she stayed in the room till the last 16 minutes of the show and she told me to pause it because she will join me tonight to watch it [emoji23]

3. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    I read the book in high school but never got to watch the older mini-series. I also read "Tai Pan" and I have a feeling that one will be turned into a tv series as well.

I am also a fan of Japanese history, particularly the period which started the Tokugawa Shogunate and the Meiji Restoration which closed it. The book and this series is based mostly on real people and real events. The terms "Black Ship", "Anjin", samurai reminiscing a recent Korean campaign, Christian daimyos, etc, all of that is based on actual historical record.

It also goes without saying that the main characters are based on real people:

• John Blackthorne - based on William Adams, one of the first white samurai
    • Toranaga Yoshii - based on Tokugawa Ieyasu, the first of the dynastic Shogunate which bears his name
    • Mariko Toda - based on Hosokawa Gracia a Catholic noblewoman who plays a very vital role in early 1600's Japan

Here's a bit of trivia... we would not have had our first Filipino saint, Lorenzo Ruiz, had it not been for the events that this series is portraying.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    I read the book in high school but never got to watch the older mini-series. I also read "Tai Pan" and I have a feeling that one will be turned into a tv series as well.

I am also a fan of Japanese history, particularly the period which started the Tokugawa Shogunate and the Meiji Restoration which closed it. The book and this series is based mostly on real people and real events. The terms "Black Ship", "Anjin", samurai reminiscing a recent Korean campaign, Christian daimyos, etc, all of that is based on actual historical record.

It also goes without saying that the main characters are based on real people:

• John Blackthorne - based on William Adams, one of the first white samurai
    • Toranaga Yoshii - based on Tokugawa Ieyasu, the first of the dynastic Shogunate which bears his name
    • Mariko Toda - based on Hosokawa Gracia a Catholic noblewoman who plays a very vital role in early 1600's Japan

Here's a bit of trivia... we would not have had our first Filipino saint, Lorenzo Ruiz, had it not been for the events that this series is portraying.
    Today I learned a lot. Thank you.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    xmen 97

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456