New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    and on behalf of my brother which no longer here in our country.. performance poitn of view?? more grip potenza tires so you put might probably put these tires on the accelerating wheels which avoids slipping.. and big brakes on fornt coz more weight sa front specially ndun engine.. brakes for safety and good corner entry.. tska kaya ku ln po nasabe na down pipe kasi nkikita ko lage nka baba..heheheh . straight pipe pla tawag dun..

2. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    atsaka sabi ng kuya ko dati.. napansin nya daw na yung d15b vtec engine has the best power distribution with the best transmission system.. oo nga overwhelming ang hp ng bseries pero not 100% of its power is delivered thoroughly into the wheels.. kahit it has the best gearbox or transmission system pa.. pero maybe ngaun meron na...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Sorry, it's just that sometimes you can't help but to hate noobs...

Quote Originally Posted by 3sgTe View Post
    by the way..regarding the performance thing.. uhmm.. not really that disadvantage.. its such that most DOHCS bseries these days are not performing well and with that fault sum it up with the slight weight difference the DOHC engine has..
    What's your proof or any evidence that the B-series is not performing well? I know you're in the Phil and that you probably don't see as much B-series out there, or maybe you see a lot of modded d-series that smoke stock b-series... But if you do a research, nobody uses an SOHC... DOHC is created a tons of step to surpass the SOHC... hhhmmmm, SOHC's are built more for Honda's economy line. That's why they have B-series in the other hand... Why do those EF's, EG's, and even EK's swap to B18C's here in my area?
    and on behalf of my brother which no longer here in our country.. performance poitn of view?? more grip potenza tires so you put might probably put these tires on the accelerating wheels which avoids slipping.. and big brakes on fornt coz more weight sa front specially ndun engine.. brakes for safety and good corner entry.. tska kaya ku ln po nasabe na down pipe kasi nkikita ko lage nka baba..heheheh . straight pipe pla tawag dun..
    it's really not the tires that makes up for it in this case but yes it does help... What kind of Potenza'a are you refering to? The only Potenza that has good grip as far as I know, is te S-03, which is now discontinued and is replaced by the RE050A... But those tires aren't for launching at all. It's the suspension that you need to pay more attention on, especially on an FF. as you launch you gotta put that weight in the rear to the front. Also, you need to reduce wheel hop. Most use motormount inserts;

in order to reduce wheel hop;

atsaka sabi ng kuya ko dati.. napansin nya daw na yung d15b vtec engine has the best power distribution with the best transmission system.. oo nga overwhelming ang hp ng bseries pero not 100% of its power is delivered thoroughly into the wheels.. kahit it has the best gearbox or transmission system pa.. pero maybe ngaun meron na...
    NOT TRUE. They both lose equal percentage power in the drivetrain, in fact, the tranny has NOTHING to do with putting power on the ground...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    "Best" is very subjective...

What is the power to weight ratio of the B16 vs the D15 on the same chassis? That should answer whether the SOHC is more superior than the DOHC. To start, the B16 has 160HP/1.6L, that's 100HP/L! The D15 has what, 110HP/1.5L, or 73.33HP/L. Of course, modified engines are another issue, but the point is, in stock form, the B16 reigns supreme over the D. Here in the US like Blink said, a lot of people swap these B16 engines (or even higher displacement ones like 1.8, or the much sought after K20 engines) into their Honda.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    3s,
    dont mind them,make your kuya proud.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    *the US guys...: He's talking about the JDM SOHC VTEC D15B... 130 bhp, not the US (or Philippine) market 110 hp SOHC non-VTEC one.

Depends, really on the set-up. I've heard lots of D15B boys claiming their D15B swapped Civics can beat on B16s all day long.

What they fail to mention is: They've got the 130 hp D15B, modified with an intake, a freer flowing exhaust and no muffler in an EF or EG Civic Hatchback, weighing much less than a metric ton, and are going against basically stock 160 hp B16-engined cars dragging a 1.2 ton four door EK body. Of course it's going to be close. But drop that same B16 in a hatckback with the same mods, and it'll leave the D15B in the dust.

But then, that's a question of specific engines versus each other, not SOHC versus DOHC. The only advantage of DOHC over SOHC, as far as I'm concerned, is the ability to blend high-rpm power with low-rpm tractability... the SOHC can have either one or the other, but not both... well, not usually... the D15B is a SOHC VTEC that does just that, and at 130 hp for 1.5 liters, it ain't a bad little engine at all... and you can probably get that to 150 hp without much trouble.

In terms of weight, yes, the D15B is a much lighter, much less top-heavy engine, but the B16 is no heavy-weight, and the small weight penalty in a drag race or track race is more than offset by the extra power.

In a very tight slalom or gymkhana, where the B16 doesn't have enough space or speed to utilize its high revs, it might matter, but on the track, if you've both got the same mods, no way.

And we haven't even gotten to the Type-R B-motors yet.

Yes, a modified VTEC D15B in a light hatchback can take on a stock B16 in a heavy sedan body. Heck, stick an SR20 in that hatchback (a dream of mine... might do it someday, the guys at DMF are crazy enough to say they can do it... yes, I'm thinking seriously about it...) and you can smoke the sucker to hell and back... but what are your chances if he's got the same weight and mods as you? Not much.

Heck, I could mod a stock GA16DE car to run with a B16 (well, eight-mile, anyway, not quarter mile...), as long as the B16 is stock.
    Last edited by niky; November 10th, 2006 at 12:14 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Thanks Ron.. proud of you tooo! hhahaha

yea your right the suspension.. ive forgot to tell.. more stiffer more stable.. no hanglag during launch.. stabilizers and struts and the sway bars for circuit.. not familiar with suspension.. sorryy.... hehe..

The VTEC-D15B JDM (not US) engine is a 16-valve SOHC design with a displacement of 1493cc and uses the PGM-Fi fuel injection system. It develops a high 130ps at 6800rpm with max torque of 14.1kgm at 5200rpm. With the manual transmission, the VTEC-D15B uses a 4.25 final drive ratio with 1st and 2nd gear ratios of 3.25 and 1.9 respectively. These are actually very high gear ratios and helps give manual EG4 & EG8 a preppy performance. this is the JDM version.. as what niky said before..(thanks niky)
    Last edited by ian_rex; November 10th, 2006 at 05:33 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
SIR hatch