New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Hindi ako driver noon, pero nakasakay ako, sa isang owner type na jeep (walang handbrake)...

Nagbaba ng kambyo siya at sinadsad ng kaibigan ko sa bangketa at tiyempong may buhangin na nakamtambak,- sumalpok kami roon ng medyo mabagal na.... Nagkatinginan na lang kami....

4303:gun:

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Be really extra careful in downshifting especially in the wet. If you're going moderately slow I would think using the E-brake would be ok, just go easy because when you do this, your brake lights do not turn on so the people behind you can not tell if you're braking or not. Tap on the brakes na rin even if they don't work to illuminate the brake lights and warn others. For me I'd tap them repeatedly to catch their attention.

If you're going faster see if you can use engine brake (good for diesels since they have lots of compression). For automatics you can occasionally pull up on the E-brake to gradually slow the car down until the next lower gear can be selected, and downshift accordingly. Gears do not want to be over revved for a certain speed lest they ruin the engine, transmission or both. Consult your manual for the recommended maximum speeds for each gear then downshift accordingly.

If you are over a bridge, be careful too because the metal junctions can become slippery and combined with wet weather, can lead to a spin out. When going over a bridge, obviously a spin out is extremely dangerous as you can fall off. The same goes with steel plates on the road around construction zones.

Remember that a larger car will be harder to stop than a smaller car so leave enough room for error. Losing brakes can either be one of two things - lose hydraulic pressure or lose vacuum assist. If it's the former, some cars have dual circuit brakes in that if one circuit fails, the secondary circuit should be sufficient to stop the car. If both fail, however, no amount of braking will be able to stop the car except doing an engine brake and manually downshifting. If you lose vacuum assist, you can still step on the brake and effectively stop the car but it will be much harder since the vacuum assist does not function anymore. Finally before pulling hard on the E-brake or attempting the last chance to stop the car, make sure and double check that nobody - pedestrians included - is around your vehicle. Keep a good margin for error since if you spin out you don't know where the car will take you. So be prepared to hit anything in your general path, or better yet control the car as much as you can with steering input.

When bracing for impact, like Niky previously mentioned in other threads, do not straighten your elbows in anticipation of the impact but rather, keep them bent but tense up your muscles to act as shock absorbers. If airbag/SRS equipped, be prepared for the bag to deploy if still going fast enough. Ideally you'll want to stop in rough terrain, because sand or soil will just make it more difficult to stop so try to choose semi-solid ground instead (not loose such as soil or sand). At the point of impact shut off the engine to ensure that any fuel line breaks do not cause a fire. If the car seems OK check the oil pan to make sure it did not crack open so you won't make the mistake of restarting the engine with no or little oil.

Have the entire brake system done as soon as humanly possible and have the car thoroughly checked prior to getting back on the road.

Happy motoring.
    Last edited by mbeige; October 31st, 2007 at 04:52 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by threx666 View Post
    hi guys,

tanong lang po kung nangyari sa inyo na mawalan ng brake habang tumatakbo?

any idea how to bring the car to a safe stop ?
    happened to me twice on in Manual gear I lost total break but I manage to control muntik na ko pulutin sa palayan..naka pag travel pa ako from cavite to laguna via SLEXsecond using A/T meron yata gusto pumatay sakin on a free way nawala talaga ang break then buti nalang nag slowdown hanap ako gaw station and nakita ko may nag luwag ng fittings

4. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    yah, with my pajero gen2.5..hehehe buti na lang nasa school campus na ko noon, i used the hand brake to stop the car...kaya ayun, after magawa binenta na..

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    mag downshift if possible pero dapat hinay hinay lang, then kung mabagal na i will use the handbrake.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    1. if you have a lot of room (like in a highway with no cars/trucks with you)to decelerate let the car roll, and let friction and gravity do its work.
    2. if you don't have much room: engine brake, don't pull the hand brake unless you have decelerated enough, lest you spin and rollover and hit other cars.
    3. if you have decelerated enough, play with your engine brake to bring your car to a halt.
    4. if all else above doesn't stop your car and you're running out of road, try to find a spot where you can hit the side of your car to force it to stop, preferably in a concrete divider that has a slanting portion at the lowest portion (studies show that hitting a divider with a slanting position prevents the car better than a completely straight divider).
    5. if #4 still fails and you're about to hit a wall/vehicle/tree, put your head in between your legs and hug your hips and hope for the best.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Ano mga reason pag nawawalan ng break aside sa ubos na ang break fluid?

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    curiousity question: will shifting from 5th to 1st gear (to engage engine brake) damage the tranny?
    5th gear to 1st gear....papasok ba to?

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    This happened to me more than 20 years back when I was driving my '77 Corolla. Here is my account of that incident:

I was on my way back home from Antipolo after attending a family reunion, cruising along Sumulong highway when suddenly, on stepping on the brake on some zigzag portion, I felt the brake pedal slowly hitting the floor. Good thing, I did not panic. I was with my whole family then. I placed my gear to the third gear and pulled up the handbrake while pressing on the lock button. Pressing the lock button while gradually pulling up the floor hand brake lever will allow you flexibility to gradually slow down as if you are stepping on the brake pedal. I was able to maneuver my car to the other side where there was a large shoulder. Good thing, there were no on-coming vehicle on the other lane. Otherwise, we could have figured in a head-on collision. Those days pa naman, di pa uso ang air bags, crumple zones, even seat belts. Whew! Were we lucky!

Fortunately, we were in a 3 car convoy with my other cousins. I have my kids transfer to one car to drive them back home, while my other cousins in another car stayed behind to assist me.

I checked on the brake fluid reservoir and it was almost empty. I noticed some brake fluid drip on the ground. The cause? The brake fluid metal tube in the underchassis was broken, as if, something pierced to it causing a cut. It may have been a small rock hit by my tire and propelled to hit the exposed metal tube.

For me to be able to use my car, we just bent the metal tube and sealed it disabling the brake on the tire that was supplied by it. We proceeded very slowly down back to Quezon City to my friend mechanic who fixed the problem.

Nagpa misa ako after, to thank God that me and my family are still alive.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by torque2006 View Post
    5. if #4 still fails and you're about to hit a wall/vehicle/tree, put your head in between your legs and hug your hips and hope for the best.
    mukhang mahirap gawin to lalo na kapag ikaw yung driver dahil nakaharang yung manibela

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Did you lose brake when vehicle is running?what do you do?