New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Ripping the E-Brake to stop your car is a big no no . How do I know? I did it before in a RWD car and it wasn't fun. It spun the rear end very quickly and required good steering reflexes which I thought I had .

I believe that the best way still when God forbid you do lose all your brakes while running, keep pumping the pedal, vigorously. Most of all try not to panic.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    what is tiptronic?? is it advisable ba na kunwari high speed ako, since a/t ako, advisable ba na ilagay ko sa L? kasi ung kambyo eh may P,R,D,D2,L, pag nasa L hanggang 20kph lang takbo ko eh, and tried it na from mabilis pag nilagay ko sa L biglang bagal sasakyan tapos pag L mas mabagal... pwde ba ganun?? kasi if ever... knock on wood!!! eh ganun ang gagawin ko... lalagay ko muna D2 tapos L para bumagal tapos neutral na......

3. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Depends really on the speed of your vehicle. If it's fast enough, I don't think pulling your hand break is advisable. Gradually decelerate using engine break by shifting from 4-2-1 or 2-1. I had experienced having no breaks before I even drove the rig. We came from 4wheeling in Antipolo and my rear breaks leaked vigorously. I ended up stuffing my rear break line with hard rubber to stop and kill my rear breaks and ended up going home with front breaks only. 2kms away from my house, the front breaks faded till it was totally gone. I then stopped and engaged my 4Low and drove cautiously around 20kph and used my handbreak mildly to slow my rig down. I eventually went home safe.

TIPS:
    1. Don't panic and have presence of mind.
    2. Always bring extra break fluid in your vehicle.
    3. Put the tips of the Tsikot members in your head.
    4. Pray

and the most important of them all.

IF EVERYTHING ELSE FAILS...MAKE SURE THE BEER IS COLD. :D

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Raines View Post
    Ripping the E-Brake to stop your car is a big no no . How do I know? I did it before in a RWD car and it wasn't fun. It spun the rear end very quickly and required good steering reflexes which I thought I had .

I believe that the best way still when God forbid you do lose all your brakes while running, keep pumping the pedal, vigorously. Most of all try not to panic.
    IMO
    -nabanggit na lahat ito... anyway,
    --tawagin lahat ng santo....
    >>> seriously.. DON"T PANIC
    >>> just keep pumping that brake pedal.... (hopefully it will engage)
    >>> gradually shift to down gear (engine brake) alalay ang bitiw sa clutch lalo na kung RWD ka.
    >>> mag hanap ng CHEAPER gastus na mabubungguan.. lol..

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    1. do not panic
    2. maintain your eye on the road and keep your hands on the steering wheel
    3. gradually release your foot off the gas pedal to slow the car down
    4. try also to steer gradually to the rightmost lane if on a highway (don't forget to use your turn lights)
    5. as the car slows down, also gradually downshift to let the engine help in slowing the car down
    6. at around 20 kph, you can put the gear into neutral and GRADUALLY apply the handbrake (you don't want to spin out of control)
    7. once stopped, put on hazard lights and put out the early warning devices, and call for help immediately
    8. (optional, on a case-to-case basis) get Php1000+ ready for the MMDA tow trucks

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I lost my brakes driving at the junction between Quezon Avenue and Welcome Rotonda. I just slammed on the brake pedal as hard as I can and aided it by slowly engaging the parking brake.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    curiousity question: will shifting from 5th to 1st gear (to engage engine brake) damage the tranny?

8. Join Date
    May 2007
    I also lost my brakes once(i was driving mitsu L300) when i was going home to the province. From 5th gear, i just kept on shifting 1 gear down until i reached 1st gear. ( Let the rpm drop before shifting down again as not to harm the tranny) Then i used the hand-brake to stop. Buti na lang walang ibang kotse sa kalsada during that time.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    you can also try pumping the brake pedal.

hindi ba applicable lang yan sa mga air brakes?

na experienced ko na rin ng mawalan ng brake sa daan. papunta ako sa auto shop para magpapalit ng brake pads at habang nasa daan ako, nasira yung brake ko. nasa busy street ako noon. kaya singit at ilag ang ginawa ko at dahil auto yung transmission ko noon, nag gate shift ako para mag slow yung makina. malas nga lang, umabot ako sa downhill kaya napilitan akong ibangga yung sasakyan sa curb para lang mahinto. tow truck na ang naghatid sa sasakyan sa auto shop.

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    curiousity question: will shifting from 5th to 1st gear (to engage engine brake) damage the tranny?
    I believe it definitely will that's why you have to downshift properly (5,4,3,2,1) for engine brake. It will take a longer time but at least it's a whole lot safer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Did you lose brake when vehicle is running?what do you do?