The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    I like the papaitan of aysees, no idea if yun ang "orig" na papaitan taste

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    may kani-kanyang version bawat lugar e.
    sa singapore, roasted pork. malutong na maalat na manamis-namis yung lasa. nakasabit, kasama nung mga roasted chicken sa mga resto & hawker centers.

sa pinas, bagnet ang katapat. ha ha. bloke-bloke sa mga palengke up north. pamputok batok. masarap ang bagnet, pero masarap din yung roasted pork ng mga intsik.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Ilocano Papaitan has literal sh1t? Seriously??? Isn't that an infection/sickness waiting to happen?

So what is that dish with bile? Yung green?

BTW I saw a documentary on a tribe somewhere in the north where they beat the chicken to death because it is supposed to make the meat taste better. I don't think I can eat that knowing how much the animal suffered

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    Ilocano Papaitan has literal sh1t? Seriously??? Isn't that an infection/sickness waiting to happen?

So what is that dish with bile? Yung green?

BTW I saw a documentary on a tribe somewhere in the north where they beat the chicken to death because it is supposed to make the meat taste better. I don't think I can eat that knowing how much the animal suffered

dunno about the papaitan, i don't eat bitter tasting food kasi (including ampalaya).
    you are correct on the tribe up north on the beating the chicken. its called "pinikpikan", or "killing me softly." the animal did not suffer... its just a tap on the leg, hanggang mamuo ang blood clots na ikakamatay ng manok (parang na stroke lang.)
    chicken is really juicy dahil hindi stressed yung manok. stress kasi makes the meat stiff dahil sa adrenaline. the first time i saw it, i think the chicken did not suffer, parang natutulog lang.
    Last edited by 1D4LV; August 2nd, 2016 at 05:20 PM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by papi smith View Post
    You remind me of my daughter when she was I think around 3 years old, our kasambahay introduced her to tuyo and she said "lasang alat". To this day she never touches tuyo. What I do with tuyo is to fry then fillet it and babad sa leftover oil ng spanish style bangus sardines, parang style ng commercially available gourmet tuyo.

On danggit naman, we found that dried biya is a better alternative, it is easier to cook since it does not burn as quickly as danggit, plus it has a better color. The dried biya at shopwise is the best I have tried since it is not salty, seems to have been dried fresh since it does not have a bad smell when fried. Ito ang champion na pampagana, I keep the fried biya in a container in the ref where it stays fresh and crunchy for weeks and get some from time to time during meals.
    One other technique is to soak the danggit/tuyo in some warm water to let the salt out, then pad them dry before frying.

If you think tuyo is smelly, stay away from tinapa or binuro ^_^ Our kasambahay sometimes use tinapa to flavor veggie dishes.

Dilis only if it is already prepared with onions and sili, madalas ko itong bilhin sa isang carinderia sa Davao dati. And talking about Davao, the best ang kinilaw nila, it's a mix of fresh tuna and inihaw na liempo in light vinegar

My uncles does this kinilaw that has lato(seaweed that looks like mini sago balls) and duck egg. i think some people use fresh crab and even squid.

What other fish can you use for (traditioinal)kinilaw btw?
    Last edited by badkuk; August 2nd, 2016 at 05:56 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    One other technique is to soak the danggit/tuyo in some warm water to let the salt out, then pad them dry before frying.

If you think tuyo is smelly, stay away from tinapa or binuro ^_^ Our kasambahay sometimes use tinapa to flavor veggie dishes.

My uncles does this kinilaw that has lato(seaweed that looks like mini sago balls) and duck egg. i think some people use fresh crab and even squid.

What other fish can you use for (traditioinal)kinilaw btw?
    what we do for tuyo or dilis is to soak them in a batter of flour and egg, sabay prito.
    for kinilaw, you can use salmon, tanigue. but my favorite is kinilaw na talaba.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Pinaka favorite ko papaitan na luto ng dad ko. Nilalagyan niya kasi ng pineapple juice and hindi masyadong mapait.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Pwede rin shrimp, but dapat siguro yung fresh. meron kasi frozen sa shopwise, yung kurin ang brand, they sell it on promo at 300+ kesos per 1.8kg block (26-30pcs/kg ang size and headless), parang 200 lang per kilo, even at its regular price of 500+, 300 per kilo pa rin ang labas, sa palengke , the same size fetches around 360-430/kg may ulo pa.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    what we do for tuyo or dilis is to soak them in a batter of flour and egg, sabay prito.
    for kinilaw, you can use salmon, tanigue. but my favorite is kinilaw na talaba.
    favorite mo kinilaw na e.coli?

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post

I remember in that Alabangers Fun Run to Baguio several years ago, we were met by the Baguio Tsikoteers and during the drinking session at night, they served this pinikpikan. After describing how it was done, the lady tsikoteers never touched it.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast