New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the filipino crab mentality at work, where we seem to be impressed with foreign cuisine.
    i've been to several countries already due to work and business, and i still miss the filipino taste and the way it is being cooked.

the filipino cuisine is a mixture of our colonizers and the way we eat even before the colonizers arrived. inihaw na isda with suka and bawang and sibuyas? its authentic filipino. adobo, menudo, kare-kare are of spanish influences, tahong na pinakuluan sa sabaw na may luya is authentic filipino. lechon is of spanish.....

tinapa, while its purely filipino is also observed by other cultures (smoking of fish). the same as tuyo.

imho, wala tayong pure pinoy cuisine. most of which are adopted from our colonizers na nilagyan natin ng sariling timpla and panlasa natin.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyWest View Post
    When we hear Japanese cuisine we immediately think sushi, sashimi, tempura, yakiniku and the like.
    I spent a good period of time in Aomori and Hokkaido in northern Japan. When I think of typical Japanese meals, I think of bento meals. Most Japanese restaurants have buffets that feature foods found in bento meals, esp in the farming regions away from Tokyo.

I don't see much breaded foods like those in Western countries. I've seen many types of tempura from shrimp to vegetables. Ramen and curry dishes also seem to be popular. Ramen especially is very popular because of the harsh winters up north.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If we look at the what we're eating thread, most of what I've seen with what forumers eat are those in establishments. I don't see home-cooked PH meals being mentioned that often.

Here, it's the opposite. Most Fil-Ams crave home-cooked PH dishes. You know they fight over those stinky dried fish? They have access to all the steaks, seafood, and poultry dishes the world can offer. Yet, they fight over dried fish from the PH.

Every time a Filipina returns from the PH, my wife and her friends wait in great anticipation.....for dried fish.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 2nd, 2016 at 12:56 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I was born and raised in the PH and I don't eat that stinky fish (tuyo) I don't understand people who like it. It's too salty and there's almost no meat

I love Filipino home cooking but I think our Philippine cuisine has no identity. Our popular dishes such as adobo and Kare kare are derivative of other cuisines. I think other Asian countries have more identity when it comes to their cuisine such as Japan, Thailand, Korea, China and India

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I like tuyo. There's nothing wrong with people who like it. I don't have it too often because it's salty, but once in a few weeks is just right for me. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I don't know if this is original PH cuisine. But, I love PH clam soup. It has a ginger-based broth with different greens and sometimes with green papaya slices.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    My favorite PH dish is crab in coconut broth (also ginger-based). The wife makes it every time we get crab. If she doesn't, I'll just eat all the crab with beer. ;)

Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 2nd, 2016 at 01:13 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I like tuyo. There's nothing wrong with people who like it. I don't have it too often because it's salty, but once in a few weeks is just right for me. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I didn't say there is something wrong with people who like tuyo, I just don't understand why people would want to eat an almost meatless tough fish with too much salt.

So not all Filipinos like that stinky fish I don't think I'll ever crave for it even if I go abroad for years.

What I like are danggit and dilis because it's not too salty and I love the crunch.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tuyo used to give me mixed feelings. it reminded me of the times my mom would "pawn" her pay check so some poor kid or lady can be admitted to a hospital somewhere. see, she took her "social worker" tag to the max and when she did we had to tighten our belts. tuyo and egg with tomato became the daily fare until her office released the check to pay the hospital and she can then redeem and encash her check. so i hated it but at the same time felt proud eating it.

eating it brings back memories.
    Last edited by yebo; August 2nd, 2016 at 01:32 PM.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    I didn't say there is something wrong with people who like tuyo, I just don't understand why people would want to eat an almost meatless tough fish with too much salt.

So not all Filipinos like that stinky fish I don't think I'll ever crave for it even if I go abroad for years.

What I like are danggit and dilis because it's not too salty and I love the crunch.

how about Papaitan? the original ilocano version.
    subukan mo cathy. . . . .

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast