New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Curious. Paano mo nasukat yung "nipis"?

Diba may viscosity rating naman na naka sulat? Baka mali yung nilagay mo.
    Hinawakan tapos hinaplos haplos siguro

2. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Baka naman yung ibig niya sabihin ay "feeling niya, malabnaw/manipis yung ZIC" regardless of the viscosity rating on the label.

Two of my owner's manuals indicate 0W-20 as the preferred lubricant for each vehicle, but never ko ito sinunod. I also feel that its "too thin" to use dito sa klima ng `Pinas.

Its not that I know better than the engineers who built them, but I'm inclined to give more priority to engine protection over the extra fuel efficiency with such light oils.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You do know that big car companies test their vehicles not just in cold areas but in deserts as well? I still think they know better.

Best case scenario with a thicker oil is worse fuel economy. Worst case scenario is oil starvation or sludge.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Curious din ako malaman paano nasabing "manipis". Ano comparison na ginawa?

Kung same viscosity number (e.g. 10w40) compared sa ibang brands, paano na measure na mas manipis?

Sa pagkakaalam ko, "thinner" viscosity is preferable sa mga mas recent engine designs.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    You do know that big car companies test their vehicles not just in cold areas but in deserts as well? I still think they know better.
    Preferred (as in first choice) lang naman yung sabi ng manuals na 0W-20.
    I usually choose from among the 2nd or 3rd tier on the list of permissible alternative lubricants.
    5W-30 (synthetic) or 10W-30 (mineral based)... mostly the latter.

Besides, those car companies are are on a totally different level. Masira car sa kanila... wala lang! Back to the drawing board!

6. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by jojopad View Post
    Curious din ako malaman paano nasabing "manipis". Ano comparison na ginawa?

Kung same viscosity number (e.g. 10w40) compared sa ibang brands, paano na measure na mas manipis?

Sa pagkakaalam ko, "thinner" viscosity is preferable sa mga mas recent engine designs.
    I’m pretty sure what they mean is they “feel” that the quality of some brands are superior to others, even if they have the same viscosity and API service rating.

To a certain extent, may point naman siguro.

A 1.5 Vios G is not the same as a 1.5 City S or 1.5 Almera E (old version), even if their specs are almost the same.
    Pero that brings us back to the question, paano nga nila nasabi? With the cars above, the answer's more easy, but with lubricant properties, I'm not so sure

...additive package perhaps?

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipo View Post
    With that price increase, I'm looking at Aisin which is cheaper and Japanese.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
    i think i'll be following your lead bro.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    zic vs xteer vs kixx. which one is the "best"? or rather, which one should we avoid

kixx is partly owned by chevron so the company name is actually GS Caltex. so as long as the base oil is good then the additive package will definitely come from caltex

xteer is hyundai oilbank

i don't know much about zic, but i think they're top producer of group-3 base oils in the world

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Only a controlled test with UOA in the end can even begin to tell which one's the best. There's just too many factors and variables to consider.

I'm using Zic now (X7000) in my Innova 2.5 and Zic M7 in a gasoline generator. Can't say if it's better or worse than the others I've tried before.
    Last edited by oj88; January 7th, 2023 at 10:32 PM.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Only a controlled test with UOA in the end can even begin to tell which one's the best. There's just too many factors and variables to consider.

I'm using Zic now (X7000) in my Innova 2.5 and Zic M7 in a gasoline generator. Can't say if it's better or worse than the others I've tried before.

yeah i guess probably all of them are safe to use i.e. won't ruin your engine

it's just a bit suspicious to me that some of the lower-grade stuff from xteer and maybe zic don't have official API certification. maybe they just don't wanna pay for the expensive certification

Zic engine oil