New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mazingerZ View Post
    Does having a turbo mean a significant increase in FC? Im toying with the idea also. Pero natatakot ako sa associated cost (installation, tuning, reliability, etc).
    The increased FC will depend on the driver.

Typical FC drop will be like 1km/L from your normal FC. So if you typically get 8km/L, with a turbo upgrade, you can expect 7km/L.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    The avanza has high center of gravity, magaan, relatively makitid. hindi talaga designed for speed. I would not imagine the avanza stable at more than 180 or 200 kph.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by meledson View Post
    The avanza has high center of gravity, magaan, relatively makitid. hindi talaga designed for speed. I would not imagine the avanza stable at more than 180 or 200 kph.

From my test drive, it doesn't feel stable at 120kph.

But I do think suspension upgrades can make a difference.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    The guy is going to buy a new Toyota Avanza 1.3J so swapping a surplus motor isn't preferred.

A turbo kit is totally possible for the Avanza 1.3J, it is just a matter if the guy has the budget for it.
    Hi GH!

Thanks for the info provided. I was able to talk to SpeedLab personnel, sadly it would cost me 200K (including gauges, etc) to put turbo kit to an Avanza unit.

Initially, I was thinking of getting turbo kit from US as I was able to find one selling in ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...-/260481895100

(no, im not connected to them, and seems the same turbo kit is used for different vehicles...hmmmm).

So from the cost, it seems it is practical to go for a 1.5L Avanza.

You mentioned that typically, there would be a 1KM/L drop to fuel consumption when turbo kit is installed. Does this mean that turbo-enabled 1.3L Avanza might consume more fuel than stock 1.5L Avanza? I am under the impression that a 1.3L turbo-enabled Avanza would consume less fuel than 1.5L

Another option for me is to buy a 2nd hand 1.3L Avanza...and if there are other reputable shop who can do installation and tuning...please let me know.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by taptap View Post
    Hi GH!

Thanks for the info provided. I was able to talk to SpeedLab personnel, sadly it would cost me 200K (including gauges, etc) to put turbo kit to an Avanza unit.

Initially, I was thinking of getting turbo kit from US as I was able to find one selling in ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...-/260481895100

(no, im not connected to them, and seems the same turbo kit is used for different vehicles...hmmmm).

So from the cost, it seems it is practical to go for a 1.5L Avanza.

You mentioned that typically, there would be a 1KM/L drop to fuel consumption when turbo kit is installed. Does this mean that turbo-enabled 1.3L Avanza might consume more fuel than stock 1.5L Avanza? I am under the impression that a 1.3L turbo-enabled Avanza would consume less fuel than 1.5L
    The 1.3J-turbo can be driven very conservatively to consume less fuel than the Avanza 1.5L but that totally depends on two things, tuning and the driver. The tuning shop can handle the tuning. But if the driver feels the need for speed often, the fuel consumption will definitely increase.

Remember: It takes more fuel to make more power.

So given that your 1.3J-turbo makes the same power as a typical 1.8L engine, it has the potential to consume fuel just as much if you drive it like it was a 1.8L engine under your hood.

It is just like having a 2.0L car that can do 15km/L. It can be done, but you will have to drive like my grandmother to achieve it. It won't be fun and you will not be using the engine's true potential.

The estimated 1km/L increase in fuel consumption is an estimate based on if there was almost NO CHANGE in typical driving habits.

Another option for me is to buy a 2nd hand 1.3L Avanza...and if there are other reputable shop who can do installation and tuning...please let me know.
    If you are buying 2nd hand, why not buy an Avanza 1.5L? Bigger displacement has more potential for more power. Or are you still trying to balance engine power potential with fuel economy? It is because they don't go together pretty well.

Power mods typically throw out fuel economy out of the window.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    At what RPM sisipa ang turbo?

at 3,000 rpm, the avanza J runs 80 kph at 5'th gear.

sa MR2 sabi ng nakausap ko na may ari, sumisipa daw ang turbo at 3,000 rpm. para matipid daw, hindi nya pinaabot dito. so kung sa avanza, less than 80 kph ang takbo para matipid kung naka turbo na sumisipa at 3,000 rpm.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    From my test drive, it doesn't feel stable at 120kph.

But I do think suspension upgrades can make a difference.
    pangit ang traction ng stock tires. low rolling resistance. for me, stable naman at 140kph using 205/50 tires. driver lang ang sakay.

rear stabilizer pa lang ang suspension upgrade ko. not useful sa straight roads.

if there is a strong crosswind, not advisable to go more than 120 kph (or even at 100kph).

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    At what RPM sisipa ang turbo?

at 3,000 rpm, the avanza J runs 80 kph at 5'th gear.

sa MR2 sabi ng nakausap ko na may ari, sumisipa daw ang turbo at 3,000 rpm. para matipid daw, hindi nya pinaabot dito. so kung sa avanza, less than 80 kph ang takbo para matipid kung naka turbo na sumisipa at 3,000 rpm.

The turbo "kick" depends on the size of the turbo, among other things.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    kung mag turbo, i think it will be good to upgrade the rear differential to Hi speed tapos with LSD pa. :D

pati pala clutch dapat palitan.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kung mag turbo, i think it will be good to upgrade the rear differential to Hi speed tapos with LSD pa. :D

pati pala clutch dapat palitan.
    But that would definitely exceed the budget.

And with a max hp of only 130hp, I don't think an LSD and high speed differential would be needed.

In this case, an upgraded clutch would not be needed unless the owner would want to drag race his Avanza. The stock clutch would do fine until it's time to be replaced.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Turbo Chargers and Intercooler installation is it worth the MONEY?