New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Boi View Post
    Eh... mga bro maiba ako....

ung KHAOS ba nkakadagdag ng HP and nkakabawas ng consumption ng gas????
    There is a KHAOS thread. Better search and read that thread before considering in using one.

BTW, Welcome to tsikot.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by meledson View Post
    The K3-VE is the Toyota Avanza 1.3 liter engine. A bolt on turbo kit converts this to K3-VET.

http://www.daihatsu.com/technology/e...ria/varia.html

magkano? I have no Idea.

Consider this: from 120 Nm/4400 rpm to 170 Nm/2800 Very nice low end torque. :D

92 Hp to 116 Hp.
    May nakapag-try na ba nito sa Avanza Club Ph?
    Or anybody here in tsikot?
    Need to know how much....and the performance....
    TIA

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You can get a kit from a shop like Speedlab for around 150k pesos. You can build your own for around 100k or less using surplus/used parts and by hunting around.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by taptap View Post
    May nakapag-try na ba nito sa Avanza Club Ph?
    Or anybody here in tsikot?
    Need to know how much....and the performance....
    TIA

Is the car stable enough to handle high speeds, because I have my doubts without serious modifications to the suspension.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Is the car stable enough to handle high speeds, because I have my doubts without serious modifications to the suspension.
    Hi GH,

If let's say the purpose is just to increase torque / hp but not necessary for speed racing, would that mean also there's a need to upgrade brake system and suspension?

Im just playing the idea of getting 1.3J, then if possible put bolt on turbo kit (from K3-VE to K3VET) for me to have more torque/hp instead of getting 1.5G avanza.

Im planning to upgrade my ride... family is getting bigger (2 kids plus nanny) during weekend. Plus once a month long drive.

My 1.3 97Exi seems to be OK (in terms of torque/hp), so I was thinking if there's a possibility to increase torque / hp of 1.3 avanza instead of putting 190+ on 1.5G (which would increase If I take interest expense if I take it via leasing/financing).

Sorry I am not really good in this area...(I just got the mentioned here on the internet). Your opinion is highly appreciated.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The 1.3L engine does 92hp stock.

Adding a turbo at 6 to 8 psi would give you around 120 to 130hp and also proportionally more torque as well.

The stock 1.5L only does 109 hp (as a comparison).

The compression ratio of the engine is 10 to 1. That means you cannot increase the boost too much without blowing up the engine. It also means the turbo will significantly increase the internal stress of the engine and shortening the life of the internal wear/tear parts.

As for the need to upgrade brakes and suspension to handle the added power, I do strongly suggest it. Minimal would be better brake pads.

In my test drive of the Avanza 1.5L, it really felt unstable at maneuvers in higher speeds. I am not sure what upgrades would be most effective in making it more stable for the least money. Maybe a rear stabilizer bar or stiffer suspension springs would be enough but that is just a guess. You could probably ask the Avanza guys for their opinion on this part.

But if you think you can restrain yourself from speeding too much, you can probably go with the brake pad upgrade.

The danger, you might be spending more money in modifying an Avanza 1.3J
    to have more power than the savings of P190+T from avoiding to buy the Avanza 1.5 or in the very least, your "savings" will not be as big to be worth it. Your potential savings of P40,000 might end up to be smaller.

Plus side, if you do get the 1.3 turbo set up properly tuned, you can have the best of both worlds. An engine that is (relatively) powerful for quick accelerations yet economical on the fuel.

If you are willing to leave the brand new Avanza at Speedlab for a few weeks for a custom turbo kit to be done, I suggest you talk it over with Ferman of Speedlab, QC with your plan and budget. Best to get his opinion on the feasibility of turbocharging the 1.3l engine.

BTW, a turbocharged engine will need extra care for longer life. Never shut-off a hot engine, let it idle for a few minutes to let the turbo cool down so you don't burn the oil in the turbo's bearings (or an automatic turbo-timer would help you here). Full synthetic oil might be recommended. "Cold" sparkplugs as well (they don't cost much more than regular plugs). Either a boost guage, oil temp guage or both might be recommended to keep an eye on the engine.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; October 27th, 2010 at 01:27 AM.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    The 1.3L engine does 92hp stock.

Adding a turbo at 6 to 8 psi would give you around 120 to 130hp and also proportionally more torque as well.

The stock 1.5L only does 109 hp (as a comparison).

The compression ratio of the engine is 10 to 1. That means you cannot increase the boost too much without blowing up the engine. It also means the turbo will significantly increase the internal stress of the engine and shortening the life of the internal wear/tear parts.

As for the need to upgrade brakes and suspension to handle the added power, I do strongly suggest it. Minimal would be better brake pads.

In my test drive of the Avanza 1.5L, it really felt unstable at maneuvers in higher speeds. I am not sure what upgrades would be most effective in making it more stable for the least money. Maybe a rear stabilizer bar or stiffer suspension springs would be enough but that is just a guess. You could probably ask the Avanza guys for their opinion on this part.

But if you think you can restrain yourself from speeding too much, you can probably go with the brake pad upgrade.

The danger, you might be spending more money in modifying an Avanza 1.3J
    to have more power than the savings of P190+T from avoiding to buy the Avanza 1.5 or in the very least, your "savings" will not be as big to be worth it. Your potential savings of P40,000 might end up to be smaller.

Plus side, if you do get the 1.3 turbo set up properly tuned, you can have the best of both worlds. An engine that is (relatively) powerful for quick accelerations yet economical on the fuel.

If you are willing to leave the brand new Avanza at Speedlab for a few weeks for a custom turbo kit to be done, I suggest you talk it over with Ferman of Speedlab, QC with your plan and budget. Best to get his opinion on the feasibility of turbocharging the 1.3l engine.

BTW, a turbocharged engine will need extra care for longer life. Never shut-off a hot engine, let it idle for a few minutes to let the turbo cool down so you don't burn the oil in the turbo's bearings (or an automatic turbo-timer would help you here). Full synthetic oil might be recommended. "Cold" sparkplugs as well (they don't cost much more than regular plugs). Either a boost guage, oil temp guage or both might be recommended to keep an eye on the engine.
    Thanks GH!

8. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    If it's just a 1.3 why not swap in a larger engine. I would only suggest turbos only if the engine is getting too large and is starting to impose a high weight penalty to the chasis and affects handling already. Always remember, turbo or larger engine, you need to upgrade your other parts esp the brakes to control the increased power

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyfoot View Post
    If it's just a 1.3 why not swap in a larger engine. I would only suggest turbos only if the engine is getting too large and is starting to impose a high weight penalty to the chasis and affects handling already. Always remember, turbo or larger engine, you need to upgrade your other parts esp the brakes to control the increased power
    The guy is going to buy a new Toyota Avanza 1.3J so swapping a surplus motor isn't preferred.

A turbo kit is totally possible for the Avanza 1.3J, it is just a matter if the guy has the budget for it.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Does having a turbo mean a significant increase in FC? Im toying with the idea also. Pero natatakot ako sa associated cost (installation, tuning, reliability, etc).

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Turbo Chargers and Intercooler installation is it worth the MONEY?