New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    tsikoteers pros and cons naman regarding of turbo chargers and intercoolers ..

2. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Turbo in a "built" motor by a qualified tuner Bolt on low boost kit why? because turbo + high compression + low octane/quality fuel is not a good combination. You need quality internals too.

A knowledgable tuner can easily give you 15-20 PSI boost without issues which will definitely make you happy. Speed = Money If you can't afford forged pistons, rods, ti springs etc. be happy with what you have. If money is no concern and your tuner cannot guarantee that your engine will not be damaged by the constant 15-20 PSI boost maybe you are talking to the wrong guy because 13-15 PSI is quite normal for a STOCK turbocharged car now a days be it a WRX/STI, Evo, or Mazdaspeed.

To save you all the trouble just buy a turbocharged car.
    Last edited by Si 06; March 28th, 2008 at 01:01 AM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Si 06 View Post
    Turbo in a "built" motor by a qualified tuner Bolt on low boost kit why? because turbo + high compression + low octane/quality fuel is not a good combination. You need quality internals too.

A knowledgable tuner can easily give you 15-20 PSI boost without issues which will definitely make you happy. Speed = Money If you can't afford forged pistons, rods, ti springs etc. be happy with what you have. If money is no concern and your tuner cannot guarantee that your engine will not be damaged by the constant 15-20 PSI boost maybe you are talking to the wrong guy because 13-15 PSI is quite normal for a STOCK turbocharged car now a days be it a WRX/STI, Evo, or Mazdaspeed.

To save you all the trouble just buy a turbocharged car.
    bro you mean car with a built-in turbo charger? i heard kasi that you can save gas with a turbo charger when not on boost mode ..

4. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by s_quilicot View Post
    bro you mean car with a built-in turbo charger? i heard kasi that you can save gas with a turbo charger when not on boost mode ..
    intercooler turbos use pre-cooled exhaust gases (cool air=denser air=better fuel/air combustion) to improve hp. activates at a certain rpm depending on how it's set up.

at idle, it'll be the same as non-turboed normal displacement car because the turbo blades wind down and stop pushing air into the engine.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    San po nyo balak install turbo charger? Gasoline or diesel engine, EFI or carburated.

In general turbochargers are specific for engines, they are not simple bolt-on device. The engine should be materially ang functionally ready for the turbocharger you want to install or else you will end up with a wreaked engine.

For a carburated engine here is a link for a DIY water/methanol injection device:
    http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me3.html

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Upping the power/torque of a car requires equivalent improvements in your suspension, chassis stiffness, brakes, wheels and tires.

So let's say you get a PhP135k turbo kit from Speedlab and bolt it on to your Jazz or City. The way I see it, that's only part of the cost. If you want to really use the power on the road the rest of the car has to be fit to handle it. So spend the following:

- PhP67k on TEIN Coilovers
    - PhP40k (est) on a better brake package
    - PhP40k (est) on 17" wheels and tires
    - PhP20k on chassis stiffening (strut braces, anti-roll bars/sway bars, etc)

In short you end up with a car that is easily more expensive than what you got it for.

Over at Jazz-City United we have a member who turbo'ed his Jazz 1.5. Total cost of the car plus upgrades was a reported PhP1.5M; he's selling it now on a "sacrifice sale" price of PhP1.1M.

My two cents...remember "power is nothing without control"

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by youngrider View Post
    San po nyo balak install turbo charger? Gasoline or diesel engine, EFI or carburated.

In general turbochargers are specific for engines, they are not simple bolt-on device. The engine should be materially ang functionally ready for the turbocharger you want to install or else you will end up with a wreaked engine.

For a carburated engine here is a link for a DIY water/methanol injection device:
    http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me3.html
    sir 1zzfe po (altis 1.8) and pwede ba i-upgrade stock turbo ng 4jx1?

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Turbos aren't really specific for engines, the install itself though is engine-specific or vehicle-specific. Depending on the size of the engine bay it's going into, the piping for the intercooler and other parts could be longer or shorter. There are turbos that are a better match for a certain engine than others though.

Madadaan yan sa tuning. If you don't tune a turbo'ed car well it may even produce LESS power than stock. Kaya mahal ang charge ng ibang shops for turbo installs...the extra money you pay goes into the tuning, to make sure that driveability doesn't suffer and the extra power really is generated. They do various runs on a dynamometer ("dyno") to confirm this.

Mitsubishi's TD04 turbo for instance has been successfully used in a variety of Hondas...and TD04s are standard equipment on turbodiesel Pajeros.

As for upgrading a 4JX1's stock turbo...pwede gawin yan. Aside from the complexities of the physical installation, you will have to tune the fuelling and A/F ratios accordingly to suit the new turbo. This will be relatively easier/cheaper than starting off from scratch with a non-turbo engine like your Corolla's 1ZZ-FE.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    Turbos aren't really specific for engines, the install itself though is engine-specific or vehicle-specific. Depending on the size of the engine bay it's going into, the piping for the intercooler and other parts could be longer or shorter. There are turbos that are a better match for a certain engine than others though.

Madadaan yan sa tuning. If you don't tune a turbo'ed car well it may even produce LESS power than stock. Kaya mahal ang charge ng ibang shops for turbo installs...the extra money you pay goes into the tuning, to make sure that driveability doesn't suffer and the extra power really is generated. They do various runs on a dynamometer ("dyno") to confirm this.

Mitsubishi's TD04 turbo for instance has been successfully used in a variety of Hondas...and TD04s are standard equipment on turbodiesel Pajeros.

As for upgrading a 4JX1's stock turbo...pwede gawin yan. Aside from the complexities of the physical installation, you will have to tune the fuelling and A/F ratios accordingly to suit the new turbo. This will be relatively easier/cheaper than starting off from scratch with a non-turbo engine like your Corolla's 1ZZ-FE.
    so sir panu ko i-uupgrade ang turbo ng 4jx1? gusto ko kasi ma maximize yung displacement ng engine ..

10. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    I think there are turbo kits available for these engines at least sa abroad but going back to the original question if these upgrades are cost effective, my bias is toward the losing side. There maybe other options to restore and optimize the performance of your cars.

Yung 4Jx1 medyo maselan at matampuhin daw talaga yan but try to check the injectors at sensors, dyan ata madalas magkaproblema yan, I think sir 'dieseldude' could help you with that.

Cheers po.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Turbo Chargers and Intercooler installation is it worth the MONEY?