New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by s_quilicot View Post
    tsikoteers pros and cons naman regarding of turbo chargers and intercoolers ..
    It would depend greatly upon what the car's owner if the turbo/intercooler upgrade is worth the money spent on it.

In comparison to upgrading using all-motor mods vs turbo upgrade to achieve similar HP targets, the turbo upgrade will achieve greater HP gains for the same money spent.

If you are just using the car to commute from point A to point B, having a turbo/intercooler will generally not be worth it unless the performance of the current car is so poor that it takes a calendar to measure it's 0-100kph acceleration time. This point becomes more important when the car is taken to areas with many tall hills or mountains to travel over.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    Upping the power/torque of a car requires equivalent improvements in your suspension, chassis stiffness, brakes, wheels and tires.

So let's say you get a PhP135k turbo kit from Speedlab and bolt it on to your Jazz or City. The way I see it, that's only part of the cost. If you want to really use the power on the road the rest of the car has to be fit to handle it. So spend the following:

- PhP67k on TEIN Coilovers
    - PhP40k (est) on a better brake package
    - PhP40k (est) on 17" wheels and tires
    - PhP20k on chassis stiffening (strut braces, anti-roll bars/sway bars, etc)

In short you end up with a car that is easily more expensive than what you got it for.

Over at Jazz-City United we have a member who turbo'ed his Jazz 1.5. Total cost of the car plus upgrades was a reported PhP1.5M; he's selling it now on a "sacrifice sale" price of PhP1.1M.

My two cents...remember "power is nothing without control"
    I don't think the Jazz-City United member was happy with the upgrade or he wouldn't sell his car at a loss. A turbo upgrade will not save gas inversely it will use more fuel. The boost will depend on the turbo size (inducer). You are better off leaving your Altis as it is and not listen to outrageous stories.
    Last edited by Si 06; March 28th, 2008 at 11:54 AM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    The K3-VE is the Toyota Avanza 1.3 liter engine. A bolt on turbo kit converts this to K3-VET.

http://www.daihatsu.com/technology/e...ria/varia.html

magkano? I have no Idea.

Consider this: from 120 Nm/4400 rpm to 170 Nm/2800 Very nice low end torque. :D

92 Hp to 116 Hp.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    sir s_quilicot,

Meron po palang thread dito about 4JX1:
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/forum...er=desc&page=7

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    so sir panu ko i-uupgrade ang turbo ng 4jx1? gusto ko kasi ma maximize yung displacement ng engine ..
    Bibili ka ng bagong turbo from bushing to ball bearing type at kung anong size ang kaya mong boost.

A brand new ball bearing turbo from Garrett (good for 275-350 hp if done right) will only cost $+- 600 (turbo lang more or less P25,000) Dami pang kulang for the install at ung sabi ni type 100 na chassis, brakes, at suspension. Ang chassis nga dapat seam welded para maganda kasi d kaya ng mga braces lang.
    Last edited by Si 06; March 28th, 2008 at 12:34 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Si 06 View Post
    I don't think the Jazz-City United member was happy with the upgrade or he wouldn't sell his car at a loss. A turbo upgrade will not save gas inversely it will use more fuel. The boost will depend on the turbo size (inducer). You are better off leaving your Altis as it is and not listen to outrageous stories.
    A Jazz/City with a turbo is fast but the problem is not the engine but the transmission. The manual transmission will handle the power but the automatic tranny like the CVT will simply not handle the increase in power too well. This might have lead the owner to frustration and eventually selling the car relatively cheaply.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    sir 1zzfe po (altis 1.8) and pwede ba i-upgrade stock turbo ng 4jx1?
    hey bro, kung hindi mo naman ipang kakarera ang kotse at medyo konti ang budget mo, then just leave the stock engine alone. specially if your engine is a 1ZZFE.

although you can have a custom Turbo Kit made for your engine, I just do see any point of doing it.. specially if your car is only used for daily driving.

but if you want to get more HP out of that 1ZZFE, you can have a TRD supercharger kit installed. but then again, it almost costs the same as a custom Turbo Kit (or maybe more) but the HP output will be much lower compared to a turbocharged 1ZZFE. coz a Supercharger can be used and tuned to a conservative 5-7 psi of boost, while still using the stock engine internals. but the ECU has to be re-calibrated (by using a re-programmed chip, or use a Piggyback ECU).

anywayz, I would still suggest leaving the 1ZZFE engine stock OR use a Supercharger kit instead of a Turbo kit. since the 1ZZFE engine internals is not designed to withstand boost pressures (even 10-15 psi) plus it will COST A LOT to build a 1ZZFE (Forged Pistons, Rods, Valvetrain components and other related parts to do the job right, aint cheap).

but if you want reliable HP and have an engine w/ lots of aftermarket support.. then just swap in a 2ZZGE (but still, engine swaps aint cheap either!)

aite, peace.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Si 06 View Post
    Bibili ka ng bagong turbo from bushing to ball bearing type at kung anong size ang kaya mong boost.

A brand new ball bearing turbo from Garrett (good for 275-350 hp if done right) will only cost $+- 600 (turbo lang more or less P25,000) Dami pang kulang for the install at ung sabi ni type 100 na chassis, brakes, at suspension. Ang chassis nga dapat seam welded para maganda kasi d kaya ng mga braces lang.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    A Jazz/City with a turbo is fast but the problem is not the engine but the transmission. The manual transmission will handle the power but the automatic tranny like the CVT will simply not handle the increase in power too well. This might have lead the owner to frustration and eventually selling the car relatively cheaply.
    Yup, thats is why putting turbo only will just annoy you....I know someone who has a lot of knowledge about this...Kaya lang nanghihingi na ata ng consultation fee....he.he.he.he...Sir ikaw bato?

9. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    ahmm mga sir kiinilabutan ako dun ah ..
    daily car lang naman kasi yung 1zzfe but gusto ko lang sana mag increase yung performance ng engine (if ever needed) ..

anu po kaya kung reprogram nalang yung ecu? magkano kaya ..? and ilang HP kaya gain ..

and replacing headers, tailpipe, muffler will help you save on gas mileage ba?

currently K&N filter and sparkplugs palang replace ko eh ..

sa 4jx1 naman tapos nako dun sa problem niya sa injectors .. horrible story ko yun ..hehe ..

pwede rin po bang i increase ang output ng 4jx1 by reprogramming the chip?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lugarai View Post
    Yup, thats is why putting turbo only will just annoy you....I know someone who has a lot of knowledge about this...Kaya lang nanghihingi na ata ng consultation fee....he.he.he.he...Sir ikaw bato?
    Hindi ako bato at bayaran hehehe....share lang kalokohan natin. Tama si KBR supercharger na lang kaya lang dagdag budget pa rin instant sipa naman.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Turbo Chargers and Intercooler installation is it worth the MONEY?