New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Good morning fellow Tsikoteers!

I just want to ask what are the symptoms if you should already change your timing belt? Others said that it's based on the mileage of the car (70T to 80T kms) but the thing is, I'm not sure whether my odometer is tampered or not.

So far I don't hear any noises and the acceleration is still smooth. I just want to make sure that everything's ok to prevent future damages.

Hope you can help me with this..

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by r1chm0nd View Post

I just want to ask what are the symptoms if you should already change your timing belt? Others said that it's based on the mileage of the car (70T to 80T kms) but the thing is, I'm not sure whether my odometer is tampered or not.

So far I don't hear any noises and the acceleration is still smooth. I just want to make sure that everything's ok to prevent future damages.

Wala sintomas neto except visual inspection ng belt at odo readings.

Most deadly symptom of a badly needed t-belt replacement? engine stopped running. Ayun, putol na pala. Pati piston at valve nadale. Overhaul tuloy..back read ka ng threads pa dito marami na nagdiscuss neto.

I assume hindi ikaw ang first owner ng pipip mo kaya if in doubt replace agad. wag mo na antayin pa maputol.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    try refraining from using the mileage as a basis of timing belt replacement. manila is considered extreme extreme or major major driving conditions with all the traffic jams, stop and go, start and turn off duty cycles. if the car is stuck in traffic, the odometer does not count the mileage but the engine's timing belt is incurring hours of use. when you replace the timing belt, it is customary to replace the idler, tensioner pulley, camshaft seal/s, oil pump seal (if applicable) if it has overhead cams, front crankshaft seal and as a recommendation, replace the water pump too since the front of the engine is already open and it requires less time to do all these than piece by piece. these are called MAW (might as well) parts.
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; March 31st, 2011 at 03:02 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the inputs!

If I would have it checked, where do you think is better? CASA or a reputable shop like Speedyfix?

My dad said that it would be better if sa CASA na lang daw? Is this true?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the inputs!

If I would have it checked, where do you think is better? CASA or a reputable shop like Speedyfix?

My dad said that it would be better if sa CASA na lang daw? Is this true?

not all techs at the dealership shops are that good. sometimes, if the tech or employee is disgruntled with the management, they sabotage the customer's car when they know they are getting the pink slip. on the other hand, independent shops might not have the tools, training, and correct repair procedures. just check around for customer feedback of the shops.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    try refraining from using the mileage as a basis of timing belt replacement. manila is considered extreme extreme or major major driving conditions with all the traffic jams, stop and go, start and turn off duty cycles. if the car is stuck in traffic, the odometer does not count the mileage but the engine's timing belt is incurring hours of use. when you replace the timing belt, it is customary to replace the idler, tensioner pulley, camshaft seal/s, oil pump seal (if applicable) if it has overhead cams, front crankshaft seal and as a recommendation, replace the water pump too since the front of the engine is already open and it requires less time to do all these than piece by piece. these are called MAW (might as well) parts.
    True na dapat 'wag na hinayin yung 100K odometer reading bago magpalit. Kaya nga common sinasabi sa timing belts ay mga 80K-90K palitan na agad para may safe clearance pa talaga.

For the MAW tama rin si sir jick. Sabay na dapat yan para isang gawaan at mas malaki chance na 80K-90K ka na uli magpapalit ng mga yan.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

7. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    not all techs at the dealership shops are that good. sometimes, if the tech or employee is disgruntled with the management, they sabotage the customer's car when they know they are getting the pink slip. on the other hand, independent shops might not have the tools, training, and correct repair procedures. just check around for customer feedback of the shops.
    Noted sir. I'll research more about speedyfix and honda casas here in Manila. Thanks!

8. Join Date
    May 2009
    try refraining from using the mileage as a basis of timing belt replacement.
    onga naman. never thought of that in the first place. what i have specifically in mind is the expiry of rubber....

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    after 72,000kms ako nalagutan ng oem timing belt, top overhaul ang ginawa ng diamond motors. medyo napabayaan ko kasi ito before, ngayon hindi na. palit na every P70,000kms.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2005

whenever in doubt... replace.

I'm the second owner of my vehicle. The previous owner forgot when was the last timing belt replacement. To avoid bigger damage, I replaced it. It also gave me peace of mind.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Timing Belt Change?