New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    you wont wear your clutch if you 'rev-match' when doing the engine brake. Riding the clutch for too long when performing an engine brake is the common mistake drivers make. By doing this, drivers tend to use the clutch as a brake and or at the same time with the brake pedal. REV-MATCH and you wont have to ride the clutch longer and performing REV-MATCH will make it easier for your engine and, tranny.

And yes, fuel consumption will be affected (if you do it often)

Quikie info on REV-MATCH:
    the simplest thing to do is just blip the throttle
    basically say your in 4th and you wonna shift to 3rd
    clutch in, step on the gas half way ish (after a while you'll get a feel for it) and release the clutch
    that way when you downshift it'll be easier on the tranny plus the ride will be smoother.

When going to lower gear, clutch in, throttle to appropriate 'rev-match' according to which gear you are going into, release clutch.

You usually do this when you're about to do a turn or something, or when significantly decreasing speed - rev-match is used to keep the ride smooth and apply less strain on the transmission, engine, blah blah blah. (so it don't jerk so much, get it?)

2. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Di ba siya makakasira kung palagi kang nag eengine brake? (".)

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nakaka sira ng alin? kaya nga mag rev-match ka para smoother ang tranny engagement pati engine smoother.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    pero pag d mo sya ma rev-match and everytime mag engine break ka tataas around 3K rpm or so, gas engine... d ba nakakasira?? or wala ba ibang effect ito?

hehe try ko kasi downhill from tagaytay eh medyo mabilis ata takbo ko kaya pag downshift ko umakyat and mararamdaman mo tlaga un pagbagal..tnx

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by pissword
    pero pag d mo sya ma rev-match and everytime mag engine break ka tataas around 3K rpm or so, gas engine... d ba nakakasira?? or wala ba ibang effect ito?

hehe try ko kasi downhill from tagaytay eh medyo mabilis ata takbo ko kaya pag downshift ko umakyat and mararamdaman mo tlaga un pagbagal..tnx
    kung d mo sya ma rev-match, wag ka na mag engine brake dahil masisira lang makina or tranny mo. Too much strain kung hindi ka mag rev-match, pansin mo lakas ng kadyot ng auto kapag mabilis ka then engine brake tapos di ka nag REV-MATCH? kung mag engine brake ka naman na gagamitin mo ang clutch to go easy, masusunog at mangangamoy ang clutch mo.

Another misconception, isa kong tropa mahilig mag down shift kapag hihinto pero hindi naman nya binibitawan ang clutch at ang kambyo nya from 5th, punta ng 4th then 3rd then 2nd, simultaneous yon. Tinanong ko sya kung bakit nya ginagawa yun, sabi nya engine brake daw. Paano ka kakong mag engine brake eh d mo binibitawan ang clutch?! Ginagamit nya ang clutch at the same time with the brake pedal. Kako, hindi ganyan ang engine brake, rev-match saka ka mag down shift. yun ang tamang rev-match...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    haha..kakatawa naman yan katropa mo. ay ako po binibitawan ko un clutch kaya bumabagal tlaga un sasakyan and kaya umaangat naman un rpm ko.. hehe d ko kasi matancha un speed ko sa rpm ko eh.. and madalas ko nagagawa kasi engine break muna bago ako mag break tlaga.. dapat ba sabay iyon para mas smooth at the same time eh rev match?) papractice ko nalang po yan sir karding at least now alam ko masama pag ganun nangyari. tnx

7. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    ako i usually use it pag pababa sa mga multi-level parking and downhill driving

8. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    yeap ganun din yun gawa ko..pero d ganun kabagal ang engine break sa gas dba? compare sa diesel, mabilis pa din bumaba un sa gas engines eh hehe.. hirap lang tlaga ako pag un tumatakbo medyo mabilis then engine brake d ko kaya smooth.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ok lang kung tataas ang RPM, ganun talaga yun. Wag lang biglang bigla **wrenggg weng weng wenggg**

konting praktis talaga, nakapagpraktis naman ako masyado sa pag downshift kahit na hindi pababa. Mas maganda hatak ng car from 5th to 3rd at kailangan talagang rev-match para pasok ang kambyo. maganda rin when coming out of the turns, rev-match and downshift.

ganito ang rev-match ko:
    clutch-in, shift to neutral at the same time blip throttle, then downshift. all these happens simultaneously and fast. sometimes kailangan ng dalawang blip sa throttle to get to your ideal higher RPM.

blip throttle ang kailangan mong makasanayan and know the ideal rev-speed.

mahirap yata yung sa multi-level na pababa mag engine brake. di yata maiiwasan na medyo mababad sa clutch para smoother ang engagement. kse kung mag blip ka pa, baka mabangga mo na nasa harapan :hihihi:

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i remember seeing pics on the net ... about some honda owner running high speed on 5th gear and mistakenly downshifted to 2nd gear instead on 4th, which of course is effectively an engine brake to the extreme ... ayun, nawasak ang makina nya

i believe engine braking should not be a habit during normal driving ... it only wears out parts unnecessarily ... there are only few cases that it is useful, e.g., downhill ... but on downhill, i still reduce speed using brakes then downshift and slowly release clutch while rev matching, after which the car have already slowed down to safe speed and gravity takes over to keep the car moving while the engine provides the resistance to keep the car at fairly steady speed ... i take care not to exceed 3000 rpm to prevent stress on engine so i still briefly apply brakes whenever necessary on a long downhill stretch ... on a curve, i simply brake early so there is no need to use engine brake ... i don't drive fast in an unfamiliar road where a curve could appear unexpectedly, more so when the road is wet ...

but for people who love to race, it sure does pay to know how/when to use engine brakes ... there are situations that engine brake is the only way to perform a certain stunt ... i'm not a race driver but i think they use engine brake routinely while in a race.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Proper Way of Using Engine Brake...