New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    May tanong lang ako about engine-braking (i.e., dropping to lower gear to slow down). Meron bang long-term effects ito sa condition ng makina? Sabi kasi ng iba nakaka-strain daw ito sa piston rods and transmission parts mas maganda raw mag-coast to a stop na lang (use the brakes instead). Sabi naman ng iba walang epekto yon. Ano kaya ang totoo?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Basta match mo ang revs sa speed. And do not exceed redline while engine braking.

Mas mabuting mag-engine brake kaysa mag-overheat ang preno at mahulog ka ng bundok. hehehe. O kaya mag-lock ang brakes while doing a tricky off-road descent. Sa 4L doble ang engine brake.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    may nagsabi it's better to use the brakes, it's cheaper and easier to replace than the clutch. ako 50/50 engine brake and brakes.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Basta never free wheel while going downhill. Ok lang kung overgear basta in-gear ka.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Pajero freak: If youre talking about "menor" there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. If youre going full stop, kailangan siyempre mag preno. It seems to me that what youre describing is the emergency stopping procedure when the brakes fail.

May nagsabi sakin way before that its more economical if you engine brake(menor), rather than use the wheel brakes in highway driving. Not really sure but this is what i do.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    highway driving? better use the brakes... yan naman yung purpose ng brakes hehe

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I guess what PK means is that, huwag mo agad depress ang clutch then leave everything to the wheel brakes..

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    just don't strain the engine during engine braking. if you need to make emergency stop DON'T step on the clutch. it will just make you go faster.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sorry guys medyo malabo nga yung last part ng post ko earlier. :D

Clarification lang. Engine braking is "Menor" right? (lifting your foot off the accelerator)

Anyway, This was what i meant....

Of course kung emergency braking or if you need to lose speed fast, preno kaagad. Alangan naman mag engine brake pa. hehehe :D

Kung anticipated slowdown or slight speed reduction, menor lang.

On the fuel economy aspect.... it has something to do with the engines' inertia/momentum.

Diba? The more you accelerate, the more fuel you consume.

If you brake too much and accelerate again, you have to downshift, meaning higher revs, more fuel.

If you engine brake (menor), you could still maintain the engine's
    momentum (up to a certain point of course) so that you dont have to press on your right foot so much.

BTTT, if we refer to Pajero Freak's procedure (of dropping a gear and engine braking). I DONT recommend this. Like i said, parang emergency procedure lang ito to be used in emergencies. :D

Sorry nalito lang ako dun sa engine brake definition :D :D :D
    Last edited by pajerokid; August 11th, 2003 at 08:29 PM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    when i'm descending like sa mga basement parking, naka 1st gear ako tapos hindi ko inaapakan ang accelerator. ok lang ba ito?
    Signature

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Proper Way of Using Engine Brake...