New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Like wiretap_MD, I have been engine braking practically everyday (I live in and around Baguio), tap on the brakes, shift to a lower gear and let the gears do the work, specially on descents. My clutch disk hasn't been replaced since I bought my vehicle years ago, so I can attest that it is perfectly safe to use engine braking as often as you want. Now if only I can install an exhaust brake, it would be better!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i read about this engine braking thing noon pa, and I've been using it both for highway driving and descending steep descents, I only use the brake if necessary. sa diesel mas malakas ang engine brake effect kesa sa gas ( I think). Mas malaki kasi ang cylinder sizes so I guess mas malakas yung stopping force since you have to compress a bigger volume of air/fuel and mas mataas yung compression ratio. ewan lang kung valid yung explanation na yon :confused:

pinakamatindi kong nakitang mag-engine brake, yung boss ko when I was with him one time in his Nissan Safari. We were going southbound via SLEX, shet, di sya masyado gumagamit ng preno, from 110kph ibabagsak nya speed to 60-80 using engine brake lang. di naman masyado umiingay engine nya. from what I heard, di pa naman sya nasiraan ng clutch so I guess it safe to do. Nung sinubukan ko gayahin sa xwind ko in city driving, di pwede. masyado maingay 4JA1 engine pag nag downshift saka lumakas fuel consumption ko.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kung mejo hataw ka mag drive sa city driving kailangan ang engine brake circuit racing ba. kung titipid sa gas tapos anticipated ko yung mga stop neutral lang gamit ko konting preno. laki ng natitipid ko.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    If I may add my 2 cents..... Firstly, I presume when you are asking about engine braking, you are actually describing downshifting into a lower gear. If so, here are the facts:
    1. Down shifting does not add any wear on the clutch because the clutch is not engaged when you have already down shifted. In fact, there is hardly any wear on the clutch at all as you down shift because you are not loading the clutch since your foot will not be depressing the accelerator (different story if you are circuit racing and doing a heel/toe manuever.

2. As long as your engine speed (RPM) is not excessive. Which means it is not beyond redline, you will not wear out or hurt your connecting rods or any internal components. Maliban nalang kung magkamali ka ng downshift from 5th into 2nd at high speed. (Walang gamot sa katangahan pag ganyan).

3. It is always advisable to use the engine brake more than your footbrake on general road conditions because the vehicle is always more controllable when you are decreasing speed through your gears rather than through your brakes. It is a known fact that it is harder to steer a vehicle into the proper direction when the brakes are being applied.

4. The concept of placing the vehicle in neutral as you decelerate gains you very little in fuel efficiency but has the potential of diminishing your absolute control on the vehicle's speed and orientation. Find your gas savings elsewhere! Remember that as you downshift (e.g. before reaching an intersection) even if you are in gear, you wont be stepping on the gas so what consumption are you trying to improve?

Having said all of this, perhaps you will consider the use of the engine brake on more occassions. As it should be the case anyway. Hope this helps.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    By the way, A/T's do not have the same immediacy of engine brake as a manual because it courses through a torque converter. In the situation of an A/T, talagang mas madalas gamitin ang preno dahil hindi naman kasing effective ang engine break even if you shift to 2 or low. There is a noticeable lag before the gear engages and this may not be quick enough for the situation at hand.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    in one way or the other we use engine braking even turning and shifting into low gear, you feel the braking effect.

in going steep hill, it's just a helper para di masyado mas stress out ang brake pads.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by wiretap_md
    Engine braking means downshifting to a gear lower, not merely removing your foot from the accelerator pedal. In effect, you use the revs of the lower gear to which you downshifted to help you slow down your vehicle.
    Ah, I see. I dont engine brake then. :D

8. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    With the size of my car, I have to engine brake. from 100 to 10 minsan engine brake lang ako. I've driven my GenI home from tagatay Na sira ang brakes. Engine brake then hand brake to stop completely.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    HeLLo,

May I kindly know what are the proper application of "Engine Brake?"

Ano ba ang tama?

Kindly share your knowledge...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    From what i've read and experienced, engine braking is done only during extreme and/or lengthy downhill drives and/or situations where braking may not be enough to stop/slow down the vehicle or even be more dangerous. It's meant to assist the brakes during downhill drives and prevent the latter from overheating which could lead to loss of stopping power. In cases like driving on a wet road and entering a sharp curve at speed, and w/o the benefit of abs, engine braking helps in slowing down your vehicle w/o the risk of wheel lock. It's not meant to stop or slow down the vehicle on a regular basis since it increases the wear and tear of the clutch and fuel consumption. hope this helps.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Proper Way of Using Engine Brake...