New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Doc, it would be great sana if the EGR cooler also acted as a filter to remove all the soot in the exhaust gas before reentry.

Water/alcohol injection is said to lower Nox as well. Almost had one installed but chickened out, I thought it's one more thing to check regularly and worry about.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    With a sufficient airflow to an intercooler with a large enough surface area, the drop in air temp entering the combustion chamber plus the positive pressure provided by the turbocharger is sufficient to provide the boost in power. I think berrima diesel will allow you to dyno the vehicle prior and after work is done by them (if you have them block the EGR). The EGR cooler [U](not all vehicles have this)[/U] is placed to cool the hot exhaust gases that are being recirculated back. Otherwise, it will just counteract the cool air being chilled by the intercooler.

The cooling happens as ambient air is passed through the intercooler after being pressurized by the turbocharger. This is where the increased power comes from (forced induction plus intercooling)

The egr cooler just cools the insanely hot exhaust gases before mixing it up with the cooled ambient air.

Sir Otep...

This caught my attention.
    If EGR recircs some hot exhaust gases back and simply mixes this with cooled air from the intercooler, parang it negates the whole process. (as shown on the diagram re: turbocharger / intercooler flow)
    Question now is do Fortuners and Monteros (or recently released SUV's CRDI's & intercooled) have EGR coolers as standard.

Salamat Sir Otep.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Dahil sa post mo na ito, sir, mas lalo pa ata akong na convinced na ipa blank ang EGR ko.hehe

But does it still have maintenance kahit blanked na or totally wala na since naka cover na?

4. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rna800 View Post
    Dahil sa post mo na ito, sir, mas lalo pa ata akong na convinced na ipa blank ang EGR ko.hehe

But does it still have maintenance kahit blanked na or totally wala na since naka cover na?
    Sir rna800...

Am having the same dilema.
    Baka yung 3 yr old fortuner ko i-blank ko if emission test on rehistro says readings are bad.... out of warranty na din naman na siya.
    Can't say the same thing for the newly released Montero though...

I suppose kahit blanked na EGR's proper maintenance pa din dapat, like proper change oil intervals using best available motor oils and filters.
    Siguro cleaner diesel fill-ups too... I think there is a thread for euro2 / euro3 / euro4 diesels... pero mula nung meron na euro4 unioil, yun na gamit ko.

Pansin ko as engines (both gas and diesel) become modern the maintenance becomes more delicate coz of the newer gadgets slapped into it... ergo, those gadgets make our rigs run better / faster / SAFER / but sana easier to maintain

At the end of the day, maintenance equates to safety IMHO.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Pansin ko as engines (both gas and diesel) become modern the maintenance becomes more delicate coz of the newer gadgets slapped into it... ergo, those gadgets make our rigs run better / faster / SAFER / but sana easier to maintain
    I remembered when my MIL lit up before and I brought it to my trusted mechanic to ask for a 2nd opinion coz the dealer said that it's the EGR that needs to be replaced and it costs 19k something. Pagka dala ko sa kanya, di niya alam kung ano ung EGR. Sabi niya, "EGR? Wala yan, tanggalin mo na yan."hehe Sa old school diesel kasi siya sanay.

Oo nga sir, kung ano ano ang sinasalpak nila sa auto para mas gumanda kaso sakit sa ulo pag pumalya lalo pag medyo nagkaka edad na ung sasakyan. Buti ung akin ok pa ung both EGR and SCV ko.

I agree, dapat proper maintenance talaga. I also fill up in Unioil kasi Euro IV sila.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You can check if the monty has one. It looks like a small intercooler. The ranger has one.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Djerms View Post
    You can check if the monty has one. It looks like a small intercooler. The ranger has one.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk
    Sir Djerms,

Are you referring to the EGR cooler?
    Other Montero owners are saying meron, frankly hindi ko alam kung asan banda sa engine bay, I guess malapit sa turbo so it has to be sa harap ng passenger side.... malamang ganun din sa old Fortuner ko.

Kung meron nga, do these coolers need maintenance too?

Salamat Senyor

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The montero sport has an egr cooler. It has no moving parts. Its just a heatsink type device like on car audio amplifiers and pc motherboards. It is on the side of the engine. Afair, it looks like a loaf of bread.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rna800 View Post
    I remembered when my MIL lit up before and I brought it to my trusted mechanic to ask for a 2nd opinion coz the dealer said that it's the EGR that needs to be replaced and it costs 19k something. Pagka dala ko sa kanya, di niya alam kung ano ung EGR. Sabi niya, "EGR? Wala yan, tanggalin mo na yan."hehe Sa old school diesel kasi siya sanay.

Oo nga sir, kung ano ano ang sinasalpak nila sa auto para mas gumanda kaso sakit sa ulo pag pumalya lalo pag medyo nagkaka edad na ung sasakyan. Buti ung akin ok pa ung both EGR and SCV ko.

I agree, dapat proper maintenance talaga. I also fill up in Unioil kasi Euro IV sila.

Sir, my case, our trusted mechanic recommends EGR cleaning kahit hindi pa fouled-up sabay check na din ng SCV.
    That's what he's been doing to other suking clients.
    Sinagad ko 3 yr old Fortuner ko na puro check lng if needed to be cleaned. Nung first 2 years sa Casa, on the 3rd year si trusted mechanic na.
    I'll see how emission test results at 21k mileage will be, that may trigger decision to blank or otherwise. Have been learning from comments and replies of fellow forum members. Just have to sift thru details, everything is very enlightening though.... Kudos to "forum-members-in-the-know"

You mentioned "edad ng sasakyan".... one thing worth asking is kahit ba may edad na ang sasakyan pero mababa pa din mileage kasi meron naman karelyebo na ibang sasakyan, nalalaspag ba mga parts / gadgets / emission sensors.... take the case of 3 yr old rig with only 21k mileage.. also I know of a 10 yr old ford escape with less than 60k mileage, still running great, interior & exterior makinis, and i think only the alternator and ac compressor was changed, else puro change oil / filters / spark plugs lang.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Modern engines will last like old schools but the maintenance is more on the hi-tech and costly side. Hindi tulad ng approach ng old school na pwede re-build. In these days puro assembly na ang pinapalitan.Kung nakita ng casa sa scan tool na may error EGR at outside limits ng tolerance, ang recommendation nila at nasa service manual ay palit buong assembly. Palit assembly then pag nawala ang error, consider it as problem solved. Mas kumikita ang casa sa palit kesa linis, more on man-hours lang ang binabayaran sa linis kaya mostly outside talyer na lang ginagawa. Kung car owner ka at medyo nagtitipid tulad ko at meron naman tools, we'd rather make ways to lengthen service life by doing preventive measures. Kahit nga paglusong sa baha, i think twice nowadays.. Isang buong assembly kasi ang hub and bearing kapag pinalitan.

Now that your vehicle is out of warrenty, here's what you can do to lenghten the engine's life. Take note, without the engine, your vehicle is as good as dead/not fit for the purpose..

Blank the EGR
    Delete the cat
    PCV Oil catch can
    Install water injection and activate it on long trips
    Better filters and lubricants

PS. Para mabenta at malagyan ng Euro2 sticker, L300 nowadays have an EGR too. IDK how theyre going to diagnose that, wala namang ECU.lol
    And yeah, Yotas 2L/T engines are sturdy, mejo prone lang sa overheating at mausok. I still remember the distinctive sound of 2L, parang isuzu engines may sariling tono.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast