New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by duskylim View Post
    Hi carebear:

Whether a BIODIESEL contains methanol (methyl alcohol - CH3OH) or ethanol (ethyl alcohol - C2H5OH) depends upon the exact process used to make it.

Most BIO-DIESEL's are either methyl or ethyl ESTERs.

That is they are blends of a very strong base (usually sodium hydroxide NaOH) added to an anhydrous absolute alcohol (that is a water-free alcohol) and a fatty acid - the "bio-oil" (coconut, rape seed, soybean, etc.) of choice.

Either methyl or ethyl alcohol will do. The choice is up to the manufacturer.

On a small scale (backyard operation), it is however easier to make biodiesels using methanol vs ethanol.

Note: In Organic Chemistry, an ESTER is a combination of an acid and an alcohol.

So ethanol can be used in the making of bio-diesel.

Sincerely,

Dusky Lim
    now i understand it more. thank you sir dusky for the fruitful info.

idol

truck and roll

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If I may try to rectify some more:

E10 is a BLEND of ethanol and gasoline. It this sense, blending is a physical combination resulting in a solution or a homogenous mixture.

There is no chemical reaction between ethanol and gasoline required to make E10.

Biodiesel is not "precisely" a BLEND.

It is made through a chemical reaction involving a base, alcohol (methanol or ethanol) and a fatty acid.

Biodiesel is an ester resulting from a CHEMICAL REACTION (not just blending or physical combination ) between a fatty acid (i.e. from vegetable oil) and an alcohol.

If you mix biodiesel with petroleum derived diesel fuel, then you have a BLEND (a simple physical combination/mixture)

Note: an ester is a class of organic compound having the general formula R-COO-R'.
    The R-CO part comes from the fatty acid while the O-R' portion is from the alcohol.
    R' = methyl if one used methanol. R' =ethyl if one used ethanol

P.S. I love it when people talk chemistry!

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Dear eric:

Thank you for your post.

It helps to clear up a lot of general misunderstanding regarding fuel chemistry.

The real problem we have now is the use of food-sourced raw materials as the basis of bio-fuels.

I have no problems with the use of materials like waste cooking or vegetable oils, or those derived from the wastes of the food-processing industry - like rendered animal fats etc or those derived from other non-food bio-sources.

The real problem is when wealthy countries turn their farm produce into fuel, reducing the available supplies and thereby creating shortages and increasing the price.

Coupled with the efforts of speculators and hoarders it creates a situation that is most unfair and difficult for the under-developed and poor countries.

Perhaps when the 2nd generation of bio-fuels arrive, (those derived from non-food sources), we will have a genuine and humane alternative to fossil fuels.

Personally, I myself believe that alcohol is best DRUNK, not burnt.

Best Regards,

Dusky Lim

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    MODERATOR's NOTE:

* Dusky & Eric

Quit the pissing contest or I will have to send both of you to your rooms without dinner.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by duskylim View Post
    Dear eric:

Thank you for your post.

It helps to clear up a lot of general misunderstanding regarding fuel chemistry.

The real problem we have now is the use of food-sourced raw materials as the basis of bio-fuels.

I have no problems with the use of materials like waste cooking or vegetable oils, or those derived from the wastes of the food-processing industry - like rendered animal fats etc or those derived from other non-food bio-sources.

The real problem is when wealthy countries turn their farm produce into fuel, reducing the available supplies and thereby creating shortages and increasing the price.

Coupled with the efforts of speculators and hoarders it creates a situation that is most unfair and difficult for the under-developed and poor countries.

Perhaps when the 2nd generation of bio-fuels arrive, (those derived from non-food sources), we will have a genuine and humane alternative to fossil fuels.

Personally, I myself believe that alcohol is best DRUNK, not burnt.

Best Regards,

Dusky Lim

I agree Dusky .... let's wait for cellulose derived biofuel....the technology appears to be maturing... ethanol, etc from non food plant sources.

GH : Thanks for the warning ... no intent to compete here.....just thought a little clarification might help...

my apologies if it sounded otherwise.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    E10 gasoline ate my car's fuel line and opened a pin sized hole that sprayed gasoline inside the engine bay.

Scary in that it was a potential fire bomb if I didn't catch it then.
    Quote Originally Posted by boy_tino View Post
    ... yun sa rubber hoses at fuel lines sa carb at sa iba pa na sinasabing magkaka-crack, lolobo or liliit ang butas wala din pati yun sinasabi nilang yung plastic ay puedeng lumutong gaya na lang ng sa fuel filter hindi naman lumutong...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolHack View Post
    Di ba E10 breaks down rubber hoses, gaskets and seals?

Is it possible that the seeping out of fuel into the engine bay increase the possibility of fire?
    Just last night at the parking lot, fuel started fuming out when I started my carb-fed engine. I found the rubber hose supplying fuel to the carb is dripping, leaking gas bigtime. It's got big cracks already. I had them replaced at once (buti may nadaan pa kong bukas ng auto supply at 10 pm).

Now I know the biggest possible culprit. I'll watch out for the other rubber hoses where gasoline flows.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567