New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 41 of 235 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Sir DD,

Can the product Prestone Fuel Injector Cleaner be applied to a diesel vehicle (mine is a Starex '99 A/T TDIC), or pang-petrol gasoline lang? Manufacturers normally state their product's application guide on their label. This should be followed.

For maintenance purposes, would you recommend using cleaners on your fuel system? I can't comment on this as I've haven't had much experience on using fuel system cleaners.

How would you know if the injector nozzles need cleaning na? Cleaning may sometimes work on waxed/carboned nozzles. But no amount if cleaning will fix a failed nozzle.

What are the symptoms? Fuel knock or rough idle are symptomatic of nozzle failure. Black smoke is sometimes caused by faulty nozzles.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Curious lang po. Bosch po ba ang fuel injectors ng Carnival 99 model?

bakit po kaya me pagka mausok yung carnival ko pag naka reverse compared kung naka drive forward (e.g. at 1st gear)

thank you

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by carnibal View Post
    Curious lang po. Bosch po ba ang fuel injectors ng Carnival 99 model?

bakit po kaya me pagka mausok yung carnival ko pag naka reverse compared kung naka drive forward (e.g. at 1st gear)

thank you
    Yes, Bosch injectors yan. Black smoke is a common problem of Carnival, and this is often due to faulty injectors. This can be corrected.

Hindi ako sure kung bakit may smoke sa reverse. Baka due to higher load applied to the engine during reverse mode.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
    Yes, Bosch injectors yan. Black smoke is a common problem of Carnival, and this is often due to faulty injectors. This can be corrected.

Hindi ako sure kung bakit may smoke sa reverse. Baka due to higher load applied to the engine during reverse mode.

I have the same observation sa Pajero ko (4m40) FM 99 M/T. Pag nag reverse tsaka may black smoke. Forward wala naman if meron man very minimal.. Curious din ako why sa reverse lang.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dcarin14 View Post
    I have the same observation sa Pajero ko (4m40) FM 99 M/T. Pag nag reverse tsaka may black smoke. Forward wala naman if meron man very minimal.. Curious din ako why sa reverse lang.
    This can happen if we don't push enough on the accelerator pedal during reverse mode. Engine speed can drop, and the injection pump will add more fuel to compensate and prevent the engine from stalling.

Try mo dagdagan nang konti ang tapak sa accelerator.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Sir Diesldude I would like to ask what would happen if you advance the injection timing? any benefits from doing so?

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zed2d View Post
    Sir Diesldude I would like to ask what would happen if you advance the injection timing? any benefits from doing so?
    Diesel injection timing is determined by the factory as the optimal setting for a specific engine model, and is expressed in "degrees before top dead center", example: 20 degrees BTDC. This means that fuel STARTS to inject during the engine's compression stroke at 20 degrees before the piston reaches its topmost position.

Advancing timing by 1 or 2 degrees may not have any noticeable effects. But a large deviation will apply excessive load on the engine, and result in poor engine performance, overheating, smoke, and high fuel consumption.

Your question was good. This topic is very important to all diesel users. We can go deeper into this matter if needed.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    But Sir I would like to ask wouldn't advancing the timing a little bit make your fuel burn more completely because it will have more time to mix with the oxygen molecules? Because a mechanic friend of mine told me that if I advance the timing of my injection pump I would substantially improve upon my BSFC and lessen my emission, but also said this would be at the expense of more noise and clatter. Is this true?

9. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    But Sir I would like to ask wouldn't advancing the timing a little bit make your fuel burn more completely because it will have more time to mix with the oxygen molecules? You may be right about giving more time to mix fuel and air, but advancing timing has a downside to it.

Because a mechanic friend of mine told me that if I advance the timing of my injection pump I would substantially improve upon my BSFC and lessen my emission, but also said this would be at the expense of more noise and clatter. The term "a little bit" is quite vague. It would be good if your machanic knows how many degrees he intends to advance timing. 1 deg. advance from manufacturer's specs may not show any noticeable effect. But as timing is more advanced, change will be more noticeable as the engine's performance will detriorate.

Is this true? This is not true.

I will try to prepare a brief description of diesel injection timing for you soon.

Medyo bz lang ako ngayon. Bye....

10. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zed2d View Post
    But Sir I would like to ask wouldn't advancing the timing a little bit make your fuel burn more completely because it will have more time to mix with the oxygen molecules? Because a mechanic friend of mine told me that if I advance the timing of my injection pump I would substantially improve upon my BSFC and lessen my emission, but also said this would be at the expense of more noise and clatter. Is this true?
    Substantially improve BSFC?! On a normally aspirated engine?

Baka nalilito kaibigan mo. If you want to burn more completely your
    fuel then you have to provide more air. That cant be done by advancing
    your injection timing.

With a turbo charger you can have more air.

With a supercharger you will have more air.

Mapapahamak ka lang dyan. Una Mali.

Pangalawa hindi sya nag design ng makina mo.

Pangatlo nalilito sya.

Pero kung gusto mo talaga subukan giving more time to air
    to mix with your fuel, tanungin mo mechanic mo kung baka mas maganda
    na i polish ang loob ng air intake manifold at lahat ng dadaanan ng air mo para mas mabilis makapasok ang hangin sa combustion chamber at mas madagdagan ang time nya sa loob para mag mix. And baka mas marami na air ang laman ng combustion chamber.
    Last edited by mark_t; December 15th, 2008 at 02:16 PM.

Diesel Fuel Injection System Help Desk