New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    dunno... there's a warning label on the intercooler cover stating that only mineral oil should be used and this is also stated on the GU owner's manual with a recommendation not to exceed CF-4...

a nissan service advisor told me that a GU Patrol using synth oil came to their shop with the engine smoking all over... the Patrol was only about 6 months old and the engine was already virtually finished... no warranty was given and the owner already had to overhaul his engine... tsk..tsk...
    Last edited by turk182; October 20th, 2003 at 08:15 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hmmm...iyan din po minsan ang sinabi ng isang tsikoteer dito. It's still best to follow your manufacturer's recommendation regarding the correct diesel oil to use for your engine which in your case is API CF-4. Though you can check the oils specs sa back ng oil packaging. Some oil brands though rated API CH-4 are also rated CG-4, CF-4. CF which in this case I think can be used with your Patrol.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    But the GU owner's manual specifically states NOT to exceed CF-4... This means that even if the oil is rated CF-4 and above, it still exceeds the CF-4 rating and therefore not recommended for use with my vehicle...

My Patrol is due for its 1K PMS and its engine (ZD30DDTic) seems to be picky when it comes to engine oil from the horror stories I've heard... That's why I'm making sure that I use the right kind of engine oil with it...

I'm leaning towards the Castrol CRD Plus with a CF-4 API rating and a viscousity rating of 20W-40 which is also recommended by the manual due to our generally hot weather conditions... 5/10W oil is for cool climates...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by turk182
    But the GU owner's manual specifically states NOT to exceed CF-4... This means that even if the oil is rated CF-4 and above, it still exceeds the CF-4 rating and therefore not recommended for use with my vehicle...

My Patrol is due for its 1K PMS and its engine (ZD30DDTic) seems to be picky when it comes to engine oil from the horror stories I've heard... That's why I'm making sure that I use the right kind of engine oil with it...

I'm leaning towards the Castrol CRD Plus with a CF-4 API rating and a viscousity rating of 20W-40 which is also recommended by the manual due to our generally hot weather conditions... 5/10W oil is for cool climates...
    Maganda din po ang Castrol CRD-Plus.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    turk182
    I'd suggest a 15w40 viscosity oil while engine is new. The thinner grade helps in proper break-in while engine is still tight. Think Castrol is ok but don't know if they carry a 15w40/ CF4 oil.

Pls ask them why synth oil is not allowed and why only CF4 rating. Should be an interesting explanation. Thanks.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    here's a quote from the Castrol site which may partly explain the CF-4 rating limitation:
    The API C grade was developed to regulate gas emissions in North American, but with locally manufactured diesel engines in mind and therefore the relevant tests are only performed using engines manufactured in North America. As the differences in gas emission regulations between Japan and North America gradually grew, it became apparent that even high quality oils of CG-4 and CH-4 grade were NOT always suitable for Japanese manufactured large diesel engines. Consequently, JASO developed a grade that uses Japanese manufactured engines in testing and is more suited to Japanese large diesel engines, known as JASO DH-1. This grade applies to oil suitable for use in Japanese commercial diesel vehicles.
    So, according to this statement, the JASO DH-1 rating seems to correspond to API CF-4 rating which is the one recommended for the GU Patrol's ZD30DDTic engine.

As for the 15w40 oil, the 15W corresponds to max. low temp. range of -20C which we will never encounter here in the Phil. anyway so 20W oil will suffice... what i think is more impt. is the latter no. since it corresponds to the high temp. range so using oil with suffix nos. of 40-50 is important especially in warm climates... That's why oil grades of 5w20/30 are unsuitable for turbo-charged engines as well as sustained high-speed driving and 10w30 oil is only recommended for cold environs...

Many synth diesel oils are rated above CF-4 (JASO DH-1) as well as having viscousity ratings of 5/10w20/30 which may explain the prohibition of using it with the GU Patrol especially in Phil. weather...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Castrol does sell locally a 15W-40 weight oil. It's the Castrol GTD but is currently rated API CH-4. It was previously rated as CF-4 but with the current introduction of the low sulfur diesels in the Phil. Market due to the Clean Air Act then they upgraded it to CH-4.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    i think rather than being fixated on API ratings which are based on tests performed using engines manufactured in North America, it would be better to be guided instead by JASO ratings which use Japanese engines in their tests... Most if not all diesel-powered SUVs and AUVs available in our local market have engines made in Japan...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I agree. Aside from the API we should also see if the diesel oil would also confirm with the latest JASO DH-1 tests or the Global DHD-1 (combination of JASO DH-1, ACEA E5 and API CH-4 tests).

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    i've noticed that the sticky thread on Diesel Engine Oil Specification Database is missing... where did it go and is it possible to revive that thread??

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Which Diesel Engine Oil...