New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    hi sir dusky!

A have a few of questions po...

does any of your pickups po ba has a Crdi engine? if yes po, can you give some feedback regarding your additive?

and does your fuel additive can remedy and if not, reduce the bad effects the dirty diesel fuels that we load up? and consequently prevent suction control valve & EGR failure for our CRDi engines?

thanks in advance!
    Last edited by locoroco777; September 10th, 2010 at 05:06 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    For older diesel engines (pre2000) using 2T oil helps. It actually aids in lubrication lalo na pag low sulfur na yung diesel fuel (say V-Diesel by Shell). Same with Biodiesel (from SeaOil for example). I use around 500 ml in a full tank (60liter). Several test were done with these additives and compared to Cetane increasing additive (which do better for engine performance) 2T oil is the most accessible and the cheapest for the increase in performance. For so called injector cleaners sometimes I use the Cyclo product. Parang walang effect. Regular maintenance still the best way to go.

Dunno about CRDi and newer engines. Baka wala na effect.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    *OldSchoolHack:
    2T (the one for motorcycles) ??? ...

Did I read that right?

My dad has a 1998 Isuzu Hi-Lander (no turbo, non-CRDI but direct injection) and I'm thinking of helping him out in fuel savings.

How do I use this 2T thing? Where do I pour it?

*duskylim:
    I'm also interested about your diesel additive.

I'll send PM once I have enough time and budget to try it.

It's for my dad's Isuzu old engine.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    The ratio is 1:200, that is 1 part 2T to 200 parts diesel, or 0.005 per ml or 5ml per liter.

If your tank capacity is 50 L, multiply it by 5 and that's 250 ml of 2T.

Before your next refill, take note of the pump price of diesel, let say its P50/liter, if you will buy P1000 diesel that is 20 liters, multiply it by 5 and you have 100 ml of 2T.

In an empty bottle put 100 ml of 2T, pour it to your diesel tank just before the gas boy fill it with diesel. 2T mixes well with diesel and does not come out of the solution.

Effects? only experince can tell you.

Risk? leaking injector seals.

What 2T to use? JASO FC like Castrol Activ or TC-W3 Marine 2T which is much expensive.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Dear Eugene, Roco and isa:

Thank you for your interest in my fuel additive.

I will PM you all with the additive details as this forum frowns upon shameless, naked marketing.

As to the use of 2T oil for diesel engines, let me say this.

2T oil is a Petron product intended for use in 2-stroke, reed-valve type motorcycle engines.

These engines use the bottom of the piston and crankcase assembly as an air pump/supercharger to push the air-fuel into the area above the piston/combustion chamber.

The crankcase is sealed and not vented to the atmosphere.

Air from the carburetor outlet is drawn through the crankcase through a very light tension, flat spring that opens as the piston rises and closes when it descends.

As the piston rises, it draws in the air-fuel mix, as it descends, it forces the mixture into a passage connecting to the combustion chamber.

The valve resembles the reeds of wind instruments (clarinet, oboe, saxophone, etc.) - hence the name reed valve.

Another name for this device is a flapper valve - similar to the ones used in plumbing - which are called 'check valves'.

Because the air/gasoline mixture passes directly through the crankcase it dissolves and washes away all the oil covering the crankshaft and connecting rod bearings as well as the oil lubricating the piston rings.

To provide adequate lubrication, these engine designs rely on pre-MIXING oil and gasoline together and then burning the resulting mixture in the combustion chamber - producing the familiar and noxious clouds of white, motorcycle oil smoke.

Addition of such an oil will probably aid or boost a diesel fuel's lubricity, but will likely adversely affect combustion.

Why?

Well 2T was formulated for GASOLINE engines.

Gasoline engines need to control pre-ignition and knock (detonation) and the fuel is formulated for to resist this from happening.

That quality is measured as the OCTANE rating or Octane Number.

It is safe to assume that 2T engine oil does NOT adversely affect or reduce the fuel's Octane Rating.

Diesel engines need to burn the fuel as quickly as possible, and need fuels that burn rapidly.

Those qualities are measured as the CETANE rating or Cetane Number.

CETANE and OCTANE are OPPOSITE behaviors.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Dusky Lim

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    2T has a lower flash point and a higher autoignition temperature than diesel fuel. Theoretically it can increase the ignition delay of diesel fuel (bad) but how it will perform is such very low ratio of 1:200 in a particular brand of diesel fuel and engine will be subject to car owner's perception, although improved lubricity effects had been documented.

Actually our diesel engines will run fine with Euro2M diesel though Bosch and other diesel injection system manufacturers are not satisfied with HFRR standard even in Low-Sulfur-Diesel (much more with ULSD). The culprits with the perceived dismal performance of our diesel fuel are adulteration and contamination.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Stricter emissions standards have resulted in large changes to the composition of automotive diesel fuels.

In particular, the refining steps required to remove excess sulfur from diesel fuels has led to a significant loss of lubricity.

Whether measured by the High Frequency Reciprocating Rig or Sliding Ball tests, low and ultra-low sulfur diesels have poorer lubricity than the older diesel fuels.

Bosch even uses brand-new injection pumps to test diesel fuels for suitability - a rather expensive method.

This problem can be aided by the addition of additives which boost the fuel's lubricity - like 2T oil.

Increasing the fuel's lubricity is a common practice in diesel fuel additives.
    Last edited by duskylim; September 11th, 2010 at 03:08 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    I have tried adding 2T to my diesel fuel, after several months I opened up my engine. Well, the head and cylinders were clean with soft carbon soot that I can easily wipe with my fingers.

I stopped using it when my injection pump started to leak_ coincidence? I don't know but I am not the only one who encountered this effect while adding 2T to diesel fuel.

I got another correction to make.

I wrote:

2T has a lower flash point and a higher autoignition temperature than diesel fuel. Theoretically it can increase the ignition delay of diesel fuel (bad) but how it will perform is such very low ratio of 1:200 in a particular brand of diesel fuel and engine will be subject to car owner's perception, although improved lubricity effects had been documented.

2T has higher flash point than diesel fuel.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by isa1023 View Post
    *OldSchoolHack:
    2T (the one for motorcycles) ??? ...

Did I read that right?

My dad has a 1998 Isuzu Hi-Lander (no turbo, non-CRDI but direct injection) and I'm thinking of helping him out in fuel savings.

In the fuel tank. Pour mine after refueling (automatic). When time comes and you open up the injector pump and the engine, the insides will look considerably cleaner than when you were not using 2T.

Lots of documented (pros and cons) on 2T. Actually the cheaper no-additive versions are said to be the best kind for diesel fuel additives.

BTW do it at your risk. For me my older EFI diesel engine worked smoother and quieter. I have no idea with other engines what it will do.

But at around P37 pesos per 200 ml (Shell 2T) or P74 per tankful, kinda cheap compared to other additives.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by youngrider View Post
    I have tried adding 2T to my diesel fuel, after several months I opened up my engine. Well, the head and cylinders were clean with soft carbon soot that I can easily wipe with my fingers.

I stopped using it when my injection pump started to leak_ coincidence? I don't know but I am not the only one who encountered this effect while adding 2T to diesel fuel.

I got another correction to make.

I wrote:

2T has higher flash point than diesel fuel.
    Since you corrected already your post, well that is right. 2T does have a higher flash point than diesel hence does not burn with it. And lubricates the engine accordingly.

I've been doing the 2T additive for over half a year and when I got my engine checked it was, well, clean and so was the injector pump. No leak yet.

As I pointed out 2T is NOT a cetane increasing additive, just a lubricant. And the effects are at most (I forgot, it was from an old diesel truck magazine) 1.5 to 2% increase in mileage. Very little. Some perceive quieter engine. But looks like perception rather than fact.

Small increase compared to cetane increasing additives which can go up to 5% (according to the same article. will find that magazine sometime).

But then less than a hundred pesos for a tankful is not bad. Other additives cost P300 upwards per tankful.

Some people even suggest other lubricating oils. Like diesel motor oils or ATF. Long term effects though might be bad.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Diesel Additive/Injection Cleaner???