New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    While trying to decipher if it matters if I use 5W30 over 15w40 for my next engine oil change I got this in http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html.

Toyota sludge problems.
    For their part, Toyota have the dubious honour of having the most complaints about sludge buildup in their engines - 3,400 at the last count. At the time of writing there is a class action suit going on against them. Details can be found at www.oilgelsettlement.com

Toyota seems to have lost the case. Since the cars cover older models (pre-2007) then it would be of interest only to owners of older Toyotas and Lexus.

Kung 2007 or mas luma toyota mo it would be a good idea to be diligent in changing your engine oil. Unless interested kang makita ang "black death" or sludge.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You have to be diligent in changing oil on the Altis... as the engine is one of those included in the complaints.

I've seen one here which has died the black death. Pero poor maintenance yung cause (missed oil change). As long as you follow the short local oil change schedules (5000 kilometers), there should be no trouble.

From reports from the US, even using synthetic oil will not protect the engine if you go to a long-change interval... so it's advisable to stick to the short interval, whatever oil you're using.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    How about the 1NZ-FE engine (Vios/Yaris) affected din ba?

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I use 5w-30 Royal Purple synthetic oil on our altis (1zzfe) and at 9000kms there's a visible sludge at the oil filler.

I'm back again to the 5 kms change oil.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    I am using RP din sa ZZ namin. Migs suggested to use Diesel oil for about 500 to 2000Km before the next change oil to clean the possible sludge. Diesel oils has the most detergents. Might try this. currently about 3,700 km from the last change oil.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Vios engine... unknown... personally... unless the VCP (vios club philippines) can confirm whether this happens with them...

Again... it's not just the oil that determines the change interval... it's the engine itself. If the engine has a recommended 5,000 kilometer interval on mineral oil, that doesn't mean that switching to synthetic will double that. At the very least, you will have to change your filter at 5,000 and check for oil contamination before deciding to keep your oil for another 5k.

*[/b]s_quilicot[/b]: ouch. Engine still runs okay, I hope?

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    What if 5,000 kms can't be reached very quickly? In other words, what is the M.O. for low mileage cars using Toyota's mineral oil? Is it every 3 months (regardless of kms reading)?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    What if 5,000 kms can't be reached very quickly? In other words, what is the M.O. for low mileage cars using Toyota's mineral oil? Is it every 3 months (regardless of kms reading)?

Depends... is that 3 months and just a thousand or two kilometers on the highway? Or 3 months and 3,000 kilometers spent sitting for hours in traffic?

If it's the latter, you might want to follow the 3 month sked to a T.

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Depends... is that 3 months and just a thousand or two kilometers on the highway? Or 3 months and 3,000 kilometers spent sitting for hours in traffic?

If it's the latter, you might want to follow the 3 month sked to a T.

Roughly 8xx kms covered for every 3 months. Mostly city driving. 95% city + 5% highway (Skyway, SLEX, EDSA, C5). City speed is 40 kph max, avg 30 kph. Typical city traffic (avg. 1X mins standby) but not monster traffic jam (x hrs. standby).

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    I see one on a Corolla Altis when they open the valve cover its full of build in sludge .I dont know if the owner dont know how to do proper maintanance in changing oil. My friend use shell 20w-50 on his car and change oil every 3000.km When we open the valve cover no sludge build up and clean including the cams .

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Black Sludge and Toyota/Lexus