New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    is there really a better way to avoid engine sludge or black death?

correct me on this one, please; coz after reading this, I think this is what am gonna be doing:
    - change oil every 5k kms.
    - change oil filter (original Toyota Oil filter)
    - flush engine and let it run for 5-10 mins

what is your idea about some mechanics, blowing some air using a compressor on the engine before they put the new oil, para daw matangal ang dumi at mga naiwan na residue? how reliable is this one....

:car:

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ajOT View Post
    what is your idea about some mechanics, blowing some air using a compressor on the engine before they put the new oil, para daw matangal ang dumi at mga naiwan na residue? how reliable is this one....
    Pointless. And it might actually introduce water into the engine.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    worried na ko dito ah.. after watching this on youtube..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs7WI2s-CVw"]YouTube- Toyota Engine Oil Sludge or Toyota Oil Gel Engine Failure[/ame]

kakakuha ko pa naman lang ng '10 altis after painfully deciding bet. civic, mazda3, and altis.. i've always been a nissan and mitsubishi user and never had anything like this even if you miss on-time oil change..

the guy on you tube said something about the design of the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) being prone to causing this problem.. actually some frames they showed were not only sludge but coked oil sticking to most metal parts.. i guess once coking sets-in-- that's already the death of the engine.. even turbine engines-- once they get this they are sent for de-coking. otherwise, engine just stops or wont turn at all..

sana naman corrected na yan sa mga bagong altis.. baka dito tinambak satin mga 'to ah!

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hy-n-dry View Post
    worried na ko dito ah.. after watching this on youtube..

YouTube- Toyota Engine Oil Sludge or Toyota Oil Gel Engine Failure

kakakuha ko pa naman lang ng '10 altis after painfully deciding bet. civic, mazda3, and altis.. i've always been a nissan and mitsubishi user and never had anything like this even if you miss on-time oil change..

the guy on you tube said something about the design of the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) being prone to causing this problem.. actually some frames they showed were not only sludge but coked oil sticking to most metal parts.. i guess once coking sets-in-- that's already the death of the engine.. even turbine engines-- once they get this they are sent for de-coking. otherwise, engine just stops or wont turn at all..

sana naman corrected na yan sa mga bagong altis.. baka dito tinambak satin mga 'to ah!
    the current altis has the same engine from the pre-facelift version. so... watch out for sludge!

5. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Just change the oil following the severe maintenance sched and there should be no problems with sludging. Our daily driven 93 Corolla gets 4 oil changes a year and never had a sludging problem in 16 years.

I've heard though, that interchanging between synthetic and mineral oil promotes sludging. It was never an issue for us though, because we always used the cheapest mineral oil. As long as scheduled ang palit ng langis, di problema yan.

Mga kano kasi sobrang tamad magmaintain ng makina. Since they change cars every few years or so, I guess more often than not they feel there's no need to worry about maintenance. Lalo na pag leased yung kotse.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    This is an old issue with Toyota (and Lexus) cars. Frequent changes and owners diligently monitoring their cars are a must. Not just regular but diligent.

I want a reliable and easy to use car not one which can easily have parts replaced often.

So I also do not own a Toyota.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    i just see this actual a Toyota Altis not the new one when the mechanic open the valve cover you can see a sludge build up in the valve cover and rocker arm .I dont know if this is the sickness of Altis but for me if you want to prevent sludge change oil every 3,000 km or less .

8. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by speed unlimited View Post
    i just see this actual a Toyota Altis not the new one when the mechanic open the valve cover you can see a sludge build up in the valve cover and rocker arm .I dont know if this is the sickness of Altis but for me if you want to prevent sludge change oil every 3,000 km or less .
    aint that changing of engine oil and oil filter every 5k kms. driven not that enough to prevent this what they call a gelatin or sludge on the engine?

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    every 3000km change oil? sheesh! that equates to at least 4 changeoil per year.

heniway.. kasama ba 1tr engine dito?

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ajOT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Pointless. And it might actually introduce water into the engine.
    Exactly. Air compressor tanks contain a bit of water which builds up over time because of the pressure, humidity, etc. When I used to maintain our internet cafe before, I had to get a water filter -which looks like a motorcycle engine's fuel filter- clamped between the valve and the hose to hopefully separate the water from the air before I clean the cpu's.

There were still tiny bits of water coming out so imagine if it didn't have that water filter.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Black Sludge and Toyota/Lexus