New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    How much did the custom subframe fabrication cost? And how did you reconcile the Honda drive-shafts and CV joints with the wheel-hubs?

I'd love to see this project.

This is how we do it, resplined and weld, then hardened.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Go to PINOY Mini Online, General discussion, go to V-tec or not to V-tec thread, or Half breed Mini Thread, there is a build diary, and qoutation, under Mini-fab.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ehnriko View Post
    Now thats what you call a pioneering spirit, you are probably the first one to do this in the Philippines... it is popular to do engine swaps in UK though.

However, I don't agree about the old mini engine overheating much... plenty of mini with AC's here in Imus and they pretty much do a good job in Medicion. The only problem I have with mine is the leaking oil seal of the drive shaft going to the CV joints and also the o-ring inside the SU Carb float chamber return line... I have an Automatik 998cc version by the way, but not really hard to find, William Auto Supply in Leon Guinto still sells.

Doing an engine swap with 100HP can really stir up the power to weight ratio and over-all dynamics of this little panzer.

How much is the total cost of conversion? Can you accept job orders already?

Thanks for sharing your cool project here.
    I've been owning Mini since 1992, I know Dolf from Leon Ginto, And if you don't agree Mini's don't overheat then go to EDSA during the Christmas rush or even to Ortigas where La Salle dismissal time, then tell me if your Mini won't overheat.The oil leak are signs that heat pressure coming out of your engine, tHE ORING FROM YOUR su CARB TELLS THAT HEAT FROM YOUR MANIFOLD TEND TO FRY THE DARN SEALS, aND IF YOU NOTICE CABIN TEMP IN A mINI IS HOT, tHAT FROM eUROPEAN STD. bUT IN A hONDA THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD IS AT THE FRONT, AND AIR TENDS TO PASS , And parts you say, are just general parts but not genuine, wait till 2 - 3 mos, it will give in.A lot of us in the Mini sceneknows these problem, Your lucky that the Mini you are driving already came from Japan, But wait till you get that Mini to replace pistons at 21k, WHEREAS A d15b COST 30k COMPLETE.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Timeless (never goes out of style) Mini body + powerful but reliable Honda engine = The car of my dreams!

5. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rmrsasteel View Post
    I've been owning Mini since 1992, I know Dolf from Leon Ginto, And if you don't agree Mini's don't overheat then go to EDSA during the Christmas rush or even to Ortigas where La Salle dismissal time, then tell me if your Mini won't overheat.The oil leak are signs that heat pressure coming out of your engine, tHE ORING FROM YOUR su CARB TELLS THAT HEAT FROM YOUR MANIFOLD TEND TO FRY THE DARN SEALS, aND IF YOU NOTICE CABIN TEMP IN A mINI IS HOT, tHAT FROM eUROPEAN STD. bUT IN A hONDA THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD IS AT THE FRONT, AND AIR TENDS TO PASS , And parts you say, are just general parts but not genuine, wait till 2 - 3 mos, it will give in.A lot of us in the Mini sceneknows these problem, Your lucky that the Mini you are driving already came from Japan, But wait till you get that Mini to replace pistons at 21k, WHEREAS A d15b COST 30k COMPLETE.
    If you read back.. I said I don't agree about mini engine overheating much." meaning. they do overheat, but maybe because I don't drive it in Manila traffic that's why I never experienced such trouble... and maybe because I use a different oil. (http://NewOil.blogspot.com)

So how much is the conversion cost? Labor and Materials aside from the engine and how long will it take? PM me.
    Last edited by ehnriko; January 27th, 2010 at 10:08 PM.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004

This is how we do it, resplined and weld, then hardened.
    You used the Honda axles, then?

How did you harden them? I've done custom axles before, for my Sentra, but didn't know to harden the splines back when we did that conversion. One of the axles snapped on a drag-launch.
    Last edited by niky; January 27th, 2010 at 10:56 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    these axles were sent to a shop where they specialize in doing gears, eventually even I was a bit surprise after they gave back the axles they are black and burnt, but they are of quality and they are guarantee industrial strength quality, I can't give you the details it's trade secret but as you can see on the picture they are perfect. And for me we have shop that specialize in tube bending, in mandrell, and laser cutting machines, so build quality as it's best.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hmmm... probably heat treated and cooled.

Ever think of selling the conversion kit? I think a lot of guys would like to do it, and such a conversion would be much cheaper than the UK-sourced B16A kit. (especially as the B16 costs three times as much as a D15). And some variants of the D15 give you up to 130 bhp, stock.

Does this conversion allow you to keep AC?

9. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Yes actually I'm doing 3 subframes already for a customer, at 30k with your original subframe as exchange. 40K without. and yes you can install original a/c of the Honda but with our own a/c bracket, but that extra. look at pinoyminionline forums under Vtec or not to Vtec thread, and there is a comprehensive quotation of the items.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yes actually I'm doing 3 subframes already for a customer, at 30k with your original subframe as exchange. 40K without. and yes you can install original a/c of the Honda but with our own a/c bracket, but that extra. look at pinoyminionline forums under Vtec or not to Vtec thread, and there is a comprehensive quotation of the items.
    Cool. Got your CP from another thread... maybe I can call you sometime when I'm in the area? Would like to see the car. Maybe do an article. ;)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Classic Mini with Honda power!