New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I found a job already. I am really thankful for that but for some reason I find myself really unhappy.

When I left my previous job 5 years ago, I felt liberated from it's highly structured culture. I thought my long break would give me a renewed enthusiasm for work but the opposite happened considering that I have less responsibility. I guess this stems from the fact that if I didn't leave my previous job I'd be getting double of what I am getting now. I couldn't demand for a higher pay despit my MBA degree because of my long work gap. But the more compelling reason why I am dissatisfied is that I do not want structure anymore. I want a job that gives me the luxury of planning my own schedule. Imagine being sick and instead of worrying about yourself, you worry about how your boss might react when you take a leave. I work with numbers the whole day and I don't even know what they represent. I cannot even go to the gym anymore. Another thing is dealing with difficult officemates. And the politics.

My option is to teach in a college or university but I think I'm still not qualified because I don't have educ or phd units. I guess I'd be happier there even with lower pay. I was thinking that I could also use this as leverage when I apply for work residency abroad. I never thought I would say that (consider leaving Manila) but all my friends are leaving na rin naman.

I am also considering a job in research but I haven't heard from them yet. I heard you could learn a lot of things and you could even take a leave for 2 months! Wow! That would be nice.

I am also considering blogging. Do you guys have any idea how much I could earn from that?

Do you guys have any other suggestions on jobs that has freedom of time and less structure? BTW I hate sales.

I placed my lotto bet a while ago. I am that desperate. Maybe I'd win and I'd be able to put up my dream gym business already. I love the thought of staying in the gym the whole day, socializing with the members and getting feedback on my business.
    Last edited by _Cathy_; February 22nd, 2009 at 03:14 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    just want to share this from rocky balboa. he said to his son when his son kept on complaining.....
    "Let me tell you something you already know.
    The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
    It is a very mean and nasty place,
    and I don't care how tough you are,
    it will beat you to your knees and keep
    you there permanently if you let it.
    You, me or nobody is going to hit as hard as life.
    But it ain't about how hard you hit,
    it is about how hard you can get hit
    and keep moving forward,
    how much can you take and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done! Now,
    if you know what you're worth,
    then go out and get what you're worth.
    But you gotta be willing to take the hit,
    and not pointing fingers saying you ain't
    where you are because of him, or her,
    or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you.
    You're better than that!
    I'm always gonna love you, no matter what.
    No matter what happens. You're my son,
    you're my blood. You're the best thing
    in my life. But until you start believing
    in yourself, you ain't gonna have a life."

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mact_tors View Post
    just want to share this from rocky balboa. he said to his son when his son kept on complaining.....
    "Let me tell you something you already know.
    The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
    It is a very mean and nasty place,
    and I don't care how tough you are,
    it will beat you to your knees and keep
    you there permanently if you let it.
    You, me or nobody is going to hit as hard as life.
    But it ain't about how hard you hit,
    it is about how hard you can get hit
    and keep moving forward,
    how much can you take and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done! Now,
    if you know what you're worth,
    then go out and get what you're worth.
    But you gotta be willing to take the hit,
    and not pointing fingers saying you ain't
    where you are because of him, or her,
    or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you.
    You're better than that!
    I'm always gonna love you, no matter what.
    No matter what happens. You're my son,
    you're my blood. You're the best thing
    in my life. But until you start believing
    in yourself, you ain't gonna have a life."

Thanks for sharing bro.,- really inspiring!

7505:bravo:

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Sis, no work is perfect... Take my case as an example. I may not be totally happy with what I am doing now, but it provides food for my family, sends my kids to school and gives us a more or less comfortable life. When I feel wasted, I've always thought of the people in our team, who are depending on me for their family's sustenance. They're my second families after all.

I also think of possible worse work conditions in other companies.

And, most importantly, "work is dignity". Isn't this enough motivation?

7505:bravo:
    Last edited by CVT; February 23rd, 2009 at 11:21 AM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    ^^^ That is one thing that I should have done.

I'm scared kasi that if I suddenly die, I do not want my parents to be burdened with the responsibility of paying off whatever debt that I have. I guess I'd just have to increase my insurance when I do get a job to cover for whatever loans that I will get in the future.
    this is not true...when you die, the creditors would go after your estate...anything not covered by your estate dies with you.

even in some housing loans, the amortizations just go with you six feet under. just try to look for this term. the house and lot, forms part of your estate when you die but the lending institution doesn't have to take this back coz death automatically makes the prop a part of your estate.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    I finished updating my CV. hehe. I hope I get a good job coz my parents aren't getting and younger and I want them to enjoy their money and not to spend on me anymore.

masarap din sa pakiramdam na ikaw ang gumastos para sa parents mo...even if my parents could well afford their medical check up needs, i did spend for it even if it would mean that i wouldn't be buying the gadgets that i had in mind...it's always a precious opportunity to give to your parents something that would give them that bliss and pride...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by b1rken5tock View Post
    ang ginagawa ko, hanap ng work, tapos pag meron asungot at talagang inde ko makayanan ang ginagawang trato sa akin then i start looking for another job then move out...

mahirap na nga ang buhay pati ba sa trabaho may pasakit pa rin..

good luck, i'm sure you will find a job that you will like and enjoy and at the same time make money...marami dyan.. hanap hanap lang...
    ...mga difficult personalities sa office, i included them in my prayers...minsan sign na rin yun to find employment somewhere...the next job, just gave me a grazing land that's greener than my previous one...

indicator ko minsan kung ang passion ko ba nakapagpapasaya pa ba sakin? baka kasi ako lang ang passionate at ang environment di na bagay sa kakayahan ko...whenever i make a decision to leave, nakahain na yung mga options ko...so far sa awa ng Diyos masaya naman ako sa mga ginagawa ko...

Miss Cath, don't be overwhelmed with fear...dapat options ang mas marami sau, katakot takot na lakas ng loob, matatag na pananampalataya (hay, my favorite tagalog term)...lahat naman sa buhay, there's this element of SUNTOK SA BUWAN!

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    your dreams to have your own business should be enough. add to that your will to help your parents and to give them something in return for their love for you. our parents won't be here with us for the rest of our lives. grab this opportunity and take advantage of it to show them how grateful you are for what they have done for you.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    the best way really is to just to out there, find a job, and work B) nabakante rin ako for about 4 months after resigning from my first job; had i stayed jobless longer, malamang wala pa rin akong trabaho ngayon.

few are the ones who are lucky enough to have a job they really like -- hence the reason why it's called "work". as for the usual b.s. that goes on with work -- bossy bosses, deadbeat coworkers, etc. ...unless you won yesterday's lotto, wala ka talagang choice but to grin and bear it.

for me i just try to remember that i'm doing this for my parents; they matter enough to me to take the usual b.s. i get from work. count to 10, think nasty thoughts, beat the hell out of that punching bag at the gym, whatever it takes -- because family matters ;)

on the other hand, of course there are extreme cases like the one you mentioned. pag ako yun malamang umalis na rin ako, at baka makapatay pa ako ng tao B) just don't make the same mistake i did, i.e. resigning before looking for a job ba malilipatan. and kung me balak ka nga magresign, medyo mag ipon ka konti para me buffer.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ab_initio View Post
    masarap din sa pakiramdam na ikaw ang gumastos para sa parents mo ... it's always a precious opportunity to give to your parents something that would give them that bliss and pride...
    This is the only reason keeping me from leaving my job. I could see that my Mom is really happy whenever I treat her out for dinner or when I pay for her purchases.

I know that my Mom knows that I am unhappy with my job. Psychosomatic kasi ako. When I am unhappy it manifests physically.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
How to get over work phobia