New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 76 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Here's the thread regarding the Mitac PDA SatNav ... http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showt...ighlight=mitac . Unfortunately I didn't get the answer as to why there's a subscription fee, though I assume it's for the vehicle tracking function (as opposed to navigating).

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I have a Garmin GPSMAP60 which I use for out of town trips. You can download maps kaya lang general map lang for pinas. Medyo out of sync pa sa actual. Is there a way for me to create my own map and upload to my GPS?

3. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cesar
    Wala bang subscription ito? Just what i said Findme is a GIS company that sells their services on location base system. So if this Mitac that u said is a device u can install sa sasakyan mo, who will update the data on it?
    Findme is a GIS company that sells their services but also their the one who developed the GuideMe software. yup i know may subcription ito for the use of their map kasi every year may nagbabago sa map and para updated naman map mo..for the first year alam ko free yung subcription. I used to work before sa findme as a developer.

bakit di na lang they sell na lang yung updated version para wala ng fee, like sa mga yachts. yung Garmin ng US na kinabit namin sa fishing boat binilhan namin ng mapping/chart ng philippines (mas mahal pa dun sa unit) pero walang subscription. Sana ganun na lang, pero, teka nga pala bro, why need a gps since philippines is a small country? Yung bang mga BMw's na binebenta dito na may sharks fin may GPS like sa abroad?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    There are a lot of uses for the gps other than giving you directions. Even if Pinas is such a small country, there are places that you go to which you are not familiar. This way if you get lost, you can back track. I also use it in gauging the shortest route to a place that I usually go to. I usually go to Anilao and there are several ways to go there. Having a GPS helps me determine the shortest route. Of course the shortest does not necessarily mean the fastest. I also use it in mapping off shore sites. I do a lot of diving and there are sites that are hard to find specially if your triangulates do not appear well due to weather conditions. Finally, I always like to know my general location when I go out of town. It helps me keep my bearings.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Also, kapag ginawa nila yung walang subscription di nawalan sila ng business! Like i said GIS co here in Phils have their own mapping software. Ung iba nga di gaanong accurate off ng mga 1km to 10km. That's why they keep on updating their system.

Actually, kung matyaga ka u can do ur own map using GPS device like Garmin etc. By doing this mas accurate ung map mo kasi GPS generated ung map hindi ung galing sa mapa and iniscan then they plot the coordinates dun sa map.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Nung umuwi ako ng Pinas (a year ago), I used my Garmin Ique 3600 (PDA/GPS). Kaso walang akong detailed map ng Philippines so yung world-map lang ang gamit ko which show major highways only. Meron ba kayong alam na contact details ng Guideme? Para matanong ko kung yung software nila is compatible with my unit.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zeagle
    There are a lot of uses for the gps other than giving you directions. Even if Pinas is such a small country, there are places that you go to which you are not familiar. This way if you get lost, you can back track. I also use it in gauging the shortest route to a place that I usually go to. I usually go to Anilao and there are several ways to go there. Having a GPS helps me determine the shortest route. Of course the shortest does not necessarily mean the fastest. I also use it in mapping off shore sites. I do a lot of diving and there are sites that are hard to find specially if your triangulates do not appear well due to weather conditions. Finally, I always like to know my general location when I go out of town. It helps me keep my bearings.
    Anong GPS ang gamit mo ang where did you get the map? Is it detailed (includes minor streets)?

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by knightblade
    Anong GPS ang gamit mo ang where did you get the map? Is it detailed (includes minor streets)?
    Garmin GPSMAP60. Just a general map with just major highway like EDSA and South Superhighway. It comes with the GPS.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHotBlood
    bakit di na lang they sell na lang yung updated version para wala ng fee, like sa mga yachts. yung Garmin ng US na kinabit namin sa fishing boat binilhan namin ng mapping/chart ng philippines (mas mahal pa dun sa unit) pero walang subscription. Sana ganun na lang, pero, teka nga pala bro, why need a gps since philippines is a small country? Yung bang mga BMw's na binebenta dito na may sharks fin may GPS like sa abroad?
    They want to earn more money ... first, by selling the software and second, through updates. Fair enough, since Philippine roads always change (through addition, direction or change of name).

Regarding BMW shark fins ... it is a part that signifies the car is BlueTooth prepared, not necessarily meaning it also has SatNav/GPS (the GPS and phone antennas are both in the fin).

For everybody's info ... before May 2000, civilian GPS receivers have Selective Availability, which is an intentional degradation in accuracy to prevent hostile acts against the USA using their own techonolgy (the GPS system). Typical accuracy is between 20-50 meters. After 2000, Selective Availability has been eliminated, but the US Department of Defense now has the technology to localize the control system to deny GPS signals to selected areas in order to protect them. Typical accuracy for a civilian receiver is now within 10-20 meters.

*cesar, masyado namang nakakaiyak yung 1km-10km error ... even my cheap Navman can accurately tell my position within 20 feet. Today's entry-level SatNav systems from Garmin, Navman and TomTom will guide you literally from door-to-door addresses.

Page 5 of 76 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast